US Politics

Rich

Trump has been 'quietly diverting' money away from his 2024 re-election campaign: report

A slight change in the small print in Donald Trump's online disclosures reveals an increase in the money contributors have been donating to help him win the Republican Party's 2024 presidential nomination is being shifted to help to pay his legal bills.

According to a report from the New York Times, the diversion of funds raises questions about the cash crunch the former president is facing with multiple indictments at the state and federal level with more expected to come.

As the Times' Maggie Haberman and Shane Goldmacher wrote, the "diversion" of campaign cash to his Save America PAC -- which is helping to pay his legal bills among other expenses -- was done with little fanfare.

According to the report, that has meant that approximately $1.5 million was skimmed off to help with his legal woes that could have been used to boost his election prospects.

The report adds, "Save America technically owns the list of email addresses and phone numbers of his supporters — one of the former president’s most valuable assets — and the campaign is effectively paying the PAC for access to that list," c according to Trump spokesperson Steven Cheung who refused to go into details about the financial maneuvering.

The Times is also reporting that there appears to be a cash drain at the PAC as legal fees suck up cash.

"For more than a year, before Mr. Trump was a 2024 candidate, Save America has been paying for bills related to various investigations into the former president and his allies. In February 2022, the PAC announced that it had $122 million in its coffers," the Times is reporting. "By the beginning of 2023, the PAC’s cash on hand was down to $18 million, filings show. The rest had been spent on staff salaries, on the costs of Mr. Trump’s political activities last year — including some spending on other candidates and groups — and in other ways. That included the $60 million that was transferred to MAGA Inc., a super PAC that is supporting Mr. Trump. And more than $16 million went to pay legal bills."

58 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Trump has been 'quietly diverting' money away from his 2024 re-election campaign: report

A slight change in the small print in Donald Trump's online disclosures reveals an increase in the money contributors have been donating to help him win the Republican Party's 2024 presidential nomination is being shifted to help to pay his legal bills.

According to a report from the New York Times, the diversion of funds raises questions about the cash crunch the former president is facing with multiple indictments at the state and federal level with more expected to come.

As the Times' Maggie Haberman and Shane Goldmacher wrote, the "diversion" of campaign cash to his Save America PAC -- which is helping to pay his legal bills among other expenses -- was done with little fanfare.

According to the report, that has meant that approximately $1.5 million was skimmed off to help with his legal woes that could have been used to boost his election prospects.

The report adds, "Save America technically owns the list of email addresses and phone numbers of his supporters — one of the former president’s most valuable assets — and the campaign is effectively paying the PAC for access to that list," c according to Trump spokesperson Steven Cheung who refused to go into details about the financial maneuvering.

The Times is also reporting that there appears to be a cash drain at the PAC as legal fees suck up cash.

"For more than a year, before Mr. Trump was a 2024 candidate, Save America has been paying for bills related to various investigations into the former president and his allies. In February 2022, the PAC announced that it had $122 million in its coffers," the Times is reporting. "By the beginning of 2023, the PAC’s cash on hand was down to $18 million, filings show. The rest had been spent on staff salaries, on the costs of Mr. Trump’s political activities last year — including some spending on other candidates and groups — and in other ways. That included the $60 million that was transferred to MAGA Inc., a super PAC that is supporting Mr. Trump. And more than $16 million went to pay legal bills."

Shocker.

I don’t take medications': Marjorie Taylor Greene says TV turns on 'by itself' to spy on her

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) suggested her television may be spying on her.  In a message posted to Twitter on Sunday, Greene cited strange behavior from her home electronics.
"Last night in my DC residence, the television turned on by itself, and the screen showed someone's laptop trying to connect to the TV," she wrote.

The lawmaker offered assurances that she was not in mental distress.

"Just for the record: I'm very happy," she said. "I'm also very healthy and eat well and exercise a lot. I don't smoke and never have. I don't take any medications. I am not vaccinated. So I'm not concerned about blood clots, heart conditions, strokes, or anything else."

Greene didn't understand why the television would be spying on her because she did not have "anything to hide."

"I just love my country and the people and know how much they've been screwed over by the corrupt people in our government, and I'm not willing to be quiet about it or willing to go along with it," she concluded.

She followed up her tweet with a link to a story about smart TVs "spying on you."

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

I don’t take medications': Marjorie Taylor Greene says TV turns on 'by itself' to spy on her

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) suggested her television may be spying on her.  In a message posted to Twitter on Sunday, Greene cited strange behavior from her home electronics.
"Last night in my DC residence, the television turned on by itself, and the screen showed someone's laptop trying to connect to the TV," she wrote.

"Just for the record: I'm very happy," she said. "I'm also very healthy and eat well and exercise a lot. I don't smoke and never have. I don't take any medications. I am not vaccinated. So I'm not concerned about blood clots, heart conditions, strokes, or anything else."

Greene didn't understand why the television would be spying on her because she did not have "anything to hide."

"I just love my country and the people and know how much they've been screwed over by the corrupt people in our government, and I'm not willing to be quiet about it or willing to go along with it," she concluded.

She followed up her tweet with a link to a story about smart TVs "spying on you."

The dumbing down of civilization right before our very own eyes.

16 hours ago, Tracker said:

It's not out of the realm of possibilities that someone was trying to connect to her TV. It can be done. She's still crazy for a whole bunch of other reasons though.

she is a political side show.... she has a big audience, for and against her.

she is making lots of money from it, and enjoying doing it.

The stupider her comment, the more attention, from pro/anti.

we know who she learned it from.

no actual power.... yet.

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

All the GOP and her in particular have is fear and smear. 

actually they have gone beyond those, and are passing a lot of laws punishing the people they hate and causing a lot of pain, physical, financial, including people dying from laws based on their policies.

they are now issuing state sponsored violent attacks of every kind, against their own citizens.

Edited by Mark F

So RFK Jr was pushed to run by Steve Bannon, fundraises with David Sacks, gets promoted by Elon Musk and Tucker Carlson, agreed to be Jim Jordan's witness, and now has a super PAC run by a team that also works for Marjorie Taylor Greene and George Santos https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/rfk-kennedy-trump-maga-biden-2024-election-1234777035/

18 hours ago, Mark F said:

actually they have gone beyond those, and are passing a lot of laws punishing the people they hate and causing a lot of pain, physical, financial, including people dying from laws based on their policies.

they are now issuing state sponsored violent attacks of every kind, against their own citizens.

Accord to news today, overt fascism is on the rise in the US. https://www.alternet.org/fascism-2661908329/

36 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Accord to news today, overt fascism is on the rise in the US. https://www.alternet.org/fascism-2661908329/

very good article, thanks. the attack on gays is horrifying. it is exactly the same as the attack on Jews.

of course there would be rounding up, and summary executions.

when the climate change starts really hitting, going to be rough. for everyone.

Edited by Mark F

On 2023-06-21 at 12:13 PM, JCon said:

The corruption and entitlement is staggering. 

I've heard similar rumblings of this sort in Canada about governments trying to influence the courts to protect politically friendly billion dollar corporations. I hope your disdain is as strong in that case as it appears to be in this one.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I've heard similar rumblings of this sort in Canada about governments trying to influence the courts to protect politically friendly billion dollar corporations. I hope your disdain is as strong in that case as it appears to be in this one.

have you got a single actual example? 

"similar rumblings"  .... just silly..

Edited by Mark F

3 minutes ago, Mark F said:

have you got a single actual example? 

"similar rumblings"  .... just silly..

SNC Lavalin. When governments conspire to keep billionaire donors out of jail it is disgusting both in the US and in Canada.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Same as usual. Lie and deflect. Just ignore the troll. 

I've come to realize some really think and have told themselves they are telling the truth as they see it when lying, when exaggerating, when glossing over, when providing no context to their cherry picking parts out of a sentence, when providing no where near examples of equal and/ or more weight to the issue at hand.

And anyone who presents facts and/or the most recent info we have on the subject to discount what they are saying, they feel sad and mad at how mean and one sided echo chamber people are with fitting everything into their narratives.  

And then go back to talking shop about the Bombers and Jets.

FBI And DHS Ignored 'Massive Amount' Of Intelligence Before Jan. 6, Senate Says

WASHINGTON (AP) — The FBI and the Department of Homeland Security downplayed or ignored “a massive amount of intelligence information” ahead of the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S Capitol, according to the chairman of a Senate panel that on Tuesday released a new report on the intelligence failures ahead of the insurrection.

The report details how the agencies failed to recognize and warn of the potential for violence as some of then-President Donald Trump’s supporters openly planned the siege in messages and forums online.

Among the multitude of intelligence that was overlooked was a December 2020 tip to the FBI that members of the far-right extremist group Proud Boys planned to be in Washington, D.C., for the certification of Joe Biden’s victory and their “plan is to literally kill people,” the report said. The Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee said the agencies were also aware of many social media posts that foreshadowed violence, some calling on Trump’s supporters to “come armed” and storm the Capitol, kill lawmakers or “burn the place to the ground.”
Michigan Sen. Gary Peters, the Democratic chairman of the Homeland panel, said the breakdown was “largely a failure of imagination to see threats that the Capitol could be breached as credible,” echoing the findings of the Sept. 11 commission about intelligence failures ahead of the 2001 terrorist attacks.

The report by the panel’s majority staff says the intelligence community has not entirely recalibrated to focus on the threats of domestic, rather than international, terrorism. And government intelligence leaders failed to sound the alarm “in part because they could not conceive that the U.S. Capitol Building would be overrun by rioters.”

Still, Peters said, the reasons for dismissing what he called a “massive” amount of intelligence “defies an easy explanation.”

While several other reports have examined the intelligence failures around Jan. 6 ― including a bipartisan 2021 Senate report, the House Jan. 6 committee last year and several separate internal assessments by the Capitol Police and other government agencies — the latest investigation is the first congressional report to focus solely on the actions of the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Intelligence and Analysis.
In the wake of the attack, Peters said the committee interviewed officials at both agencies and found what was “pretty constant finger pointing” at each other.

“Everybody should be accountable because everybody failed,” Peters said.

INDICTED FELON TRUMP GREETED WITH HANDSHAKES FROM LAW ENFORCEMENT IN MASSACHUSETTS

Trump arrived in Massachusetts and was greeted by a group of law enforcement officers who wanted to shake his hand.

It is illegal in almost every jurisdiction for law enforcement officers to engage in partisan political activity while they are in uniform. The hypocrisy of those who are paid to protect and serve who showed up to glad hand a man who is accused of more than 70 federal and local felonies should not be lost on anyone.

One of the reasons why Donald Trump continued and possibly continues to break laws is the kind of treatment that he got in the video above. No community should want their law enforcement officers hanging out with Donald Trump.

Trump keeps breaking the law, because far too many people have given him special treatment. It is difficult to believe the statement that everyone is equal in the eyes of the law when a man who confessed on tape to stealing classified government secrets is greeted like a hero.

It is wrong, and the reason why so many Americans won’t believe that Trump will be held accountable until they see it with their own eyes.

(Birds of a feather)

Ex-staffer describes Trump fantasizing about sex with Ivanka

Former President Donald Trump made sexual comments about his daughter Ivanka that were so lewd he was rebuked by his Chief of Staff, former Trump official Miles Taylor writes in a new book.

The comments are used by Taylor to highlight almost daily instances of sexism in the Trump White House that were so bad one senior female official told the writer, “This is not a healthy workplace for women.”
"Aides said he talked about Ivanka Trump's breasts, her backside, and what it might be like to have sex with her, remarks that once led (former Chief of Staff) John Kelly to remind the president that Ivanka was his daughter," Taylor writes.

"Afterward, Kelly retold that story to me in visible disgust. Trump, he said, was 'a very, very evil man.'"

The details contained in the upcoming new book, “Blowback: A Warning to Save Democracy from the Next Trump,” were outlined in an exclusive interview with Newsweek Wednesday.

Taylor, a former chief of staff at the Department of Homeland Security who admitted to anonymously writing a 2018 op-ed in the New York Times titled “"I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration,” said, "There still are quite a few female leaders from the Trump administration who have held their tongues about the unequal treatment they faced in the administration at best, and the absolute naked sexism they experienced with the hands of Donald Trump at worst."

He said “undisguised sexism” was aimed at everybody from lowly staff members to cabinet secretaries.

https://www.alternet.org/ivanka-trump-2661980261/

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

Ex-staffer describes Trump fantasizing about sex with Ivanka

Former President Donald Trump made sexual comments about his daughter Ivanka that were so lewd he was rebuked by his Chief of Staff, former Trump official Miles Taylor writes in a new book.

The comments are used by Taylor to highlight almost daily instances of sexism in the Trump White House that were so bad one senior female official told the writer, “This is not a healthy workplace for women.”
"Aides said he talked about Ivanka Trump's breasts, her backside, and what it might be like to have sex with her, remarks that once led (former Chief of Staff) John Kelly to remind the president that Ivanka was his daughter," Taylor writes.

"Afterward, Kelly retold that story to me in visible disgust. Trump, he said, was 'a very, very evil man.'"

The details contained in the upcoming new book, “Blowback: A Warning to Save Democracy from the Next Trump,” were outlined in an exclusive interview with Newsweek Wednesday.

Taylor, a former chief of staff at the Department of Homeland Security who admitted to anonymously writing a 2018 op-ed in the New York Times titled “"I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration,” said, "There still are quite a few female leaders from the Trump administration who have held their tongues about the unequal treatment they faced in the administration at best, and the absolute naked sexism they experienced with the hands of Donald Trump at worst."

He said “undisguised sexism” was aimed at everybody from lowly staff members to cabinet secretaries.

https://www.alternet.org/ivanka-trump-2661980261/

Yea but F Trudeau!

Sorry, wrong thread.