Around The League Off Season Discussion

5 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Richards already knows the playbook and what he needs to do.  All he has to do is beat out JFG and he starts.

The whole point of training camp for rookies or newbies is to not only sort the keepers out but also to teach them the playbook, so already knowing it shouldn't be that much of an advantage. I am neither for Richards nor against him, but he has to be under the gun to cook or get off the stove. I would think that if any of the NI newbies show any significant promise, Richards will be in trouble- at best trade bait to the Riders.

9 minutes ago, tracker said:

The whole point of training camp for rookies or newbies is to not only sort the keepers out but also to teach them the playbook, so already knowing it shouldn't be that much of an advantage. I am neither for Richards nor against him, but he has to be under the gun to cook or get off the stove. I would think that if any of the NI newbies show any significant promise, Richards will be in trouble- at best trade bait to the Riders.

Sorry, I forgot about Ryan Lankford so cutting Richards is a possibility if in fact he's the worst of the lot.  As it stands they have JFG, Richards, Coates, Lankford and whoever they pick up in the draft to cover one, maybe two positions.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

2 hours ago, brett_c_b said:

I'm comparing draft day perception. Who perceived Scheifele as a stud when the Jets drafted him at 7? Nobody I was watching the draft did. It was mainly jokes about how the Jets are still drafting as bad as the Jets 1.0 did

Scheifele was definitely a reach when the Jets took him. Guy was ranked as a likely 20 something overall pick and the knock on him was his skating. Jets did good identifying a good prospect though and were patient enough with him to let him develop into the player he is now. 

44 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Snap judgement for a guy going into his 3rd year? Nope. It's called judging him based on his time with the Bombers.

Folks around here want to completely ignore his first 2 years. For some unknown reason his 3rd year is the only one that matters. 

BTW, I don't follow hockey, so I don't know the references Brett's making, but I know enough to know that the NFL draft is nothing like the CFL draft.

because development isn't linear and when a guy has had injury troubles in his first couple years you have to show that patience. That's why you seem to be willfully ignoring.... he hasn't shown anything in his first couple years because he has hardly seen the field! Let's see how he actually plays and then make a judgement. The odds of getting a guy in the draft who can contribute in year 1 are miniscule anyway and when a guy is hurt a bunch in year 2 it's too soon to say anything. Unless you're you, in which case you didn't like the pick so he's a failure. If he does have success you'll probably hand wave it away with some fantastical leap of logic. 

12 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Scheifele was definitely a reach when the Jets took him. Guy was ranked as a likely 20 something overall pick and the knock on him was his skating. Jets did good identifying a good prospect though and were patient enough with him to let him develop into the player he is now. 

I've read, and heard, (radio)  that Scheifele is very highly motivated to succeed.  I suspect Toews is that way; same as Brady.

Scheifele will probably continue get better each year, to the absolute maximum of his potential.

No doubt this was noticed  by the Jets. well done by them.

Edited by Mark F

43 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Sorry, I forgot about Ryan Lankford so cutting Richards is a possibility if in fact he's the worst of the lot.  As it stands they have JFG, Richards, Coates, Lankford and whoever they pick up in the draft to cover one, maybe two positions.

Lankford is an international though...

25 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

because development isn't linear and when a guy has had injury troubles in his first couple years you have to show that patience. That's why you seem to be willfully ignoring.... he hasn't shown anything in his first couple years because he has hardly seen the field! Let's see how he actually plays and then make a judgement. The odds of getting a guy in the draft who can contribute in year 1 are miniscule anyway and when a guy is hurt a bunch in year 2 it's too soon to say anything. Unless you're you, in which case you didn't like the pick so he's a failure. If he does have success you'll probably hand wave it away with some fantastical leap of logic. 

Liking or not liking a pick has nothing to do with it. Even if I'd liked the pick, I'd say that Richards been a failure so far because that's what the measurable's say. If he does have success, I'll call it a success because that's what the stats will say. 

I'm not ignoring his injuries. According to CFL.CA, he's played 17 games over 2 years, which is almost a full season. He's only caught 1 ball because there are a couple of better NI receivers ahead of him on the depth chart, and neither of them are very good. 

Neither of us are going to change the other's mind, so lets agree to disagree and move on.

5 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Like it or not in professional sport....any professional sport durability is a requirement. Bad luck or the often over used, inaccurate term of being "injury prone" aside. If you don't prove yourself to be durable with limited depth and rosters you become a liability. Case in point might be the example of Neufeld.

And Kito Poblah.

19 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Snap judgement for a guy going into his 3rd year? Nope. It's called judging him based on his time with the Bombers.

Folks around here want to completely ignore his first 2 years. For some unknown reason his 3rd year is the only one that matters. 

BTW, I don't follow hockey, so I don't know the references Brett's making, but I know enough to know that the NFL draft is nothing like the CFL draft.

we ignore it because he had 2 rather large reasons for missing time.. surgery and a broken hand are both kind of big deals, no?  Not like he sprained an an ankle or had a bad hamstring..

honestly,  can you explain to me how you feel its right to pass judgement on a players ability to play football and contribute to his team when hes physically unable to do so and when he got healthy, was limited to very little reps and touches due to being down on the depth chart?  if my memory serves, he didn't look horrible in his limited time during the season or in pre-season prior to breaking his hand..

Saturday stuff...

Kyle Walters, #Bombers GM, on Mike Miller: “He’s our kind of guy; hard-nosed, tough kid."
CFL Headlines
Riders add former top rookie NFL receiver Mike Williams to neg list. .Just what they need, right?

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/03/riders-add-former-top-rookie-nfl-receiver-mike-williams-neg-list/?

http://yegboneyard.blogspot.ca/2017/03/edmonton-eskimos-mining-for-diamonds.html

Of note - Paul Jones, executive director of player personnel, is in his 18th year with the Edmonton Eskimos. He has a strong track-record of finding high quality players south of the border. His methods have led to the Esks signing players such as Elfrid Payton, Shannon Garrett, Aaron Grymes, John Ojo, Jason Tucker, Dexter McCoil, Ed Hervey, Derel Walker and Fred Stamps to name a few. 
Jones has continued with his success by rebuilding a scouting network in 2014  that includes former Eskies Torey Hunter and Malvin Hunter along with Jeff Hoffman and Mitch Matuska.
Hunter had recommended J.C. Sherritt, Aaron Grymes and Matt Nichols to the Esks, during his coaching career in the pacific northwest, prior becoming an official Esks scout. It was also Hunter who recommended the Esks attempt to acquire Mike Reilly making him a trusted eye for secondary talent and quarterbacks a like.   
Matuska was responsible for scouting the likes Brandon Zylstra and James Franklin. The latter coming recommended by Mizzou teammate Kendail Lawerence before being placed on the Eskies negotiation list based on Matuska’s recommendation. 
And the Bombers once employed him...

CFL News
He's accomplished pretty much everything at the University level, now WR Danny Vandervoort is ready for the #CFL➡ on.cfl.ca/3i11309z4aW
TJ Heath - Man I'm so ready to get back to Winnipeg and get around my crew! 3 more months. And I'm really counting down

CFL Headlines - Mike Beamish: Concussion litigant Arland Bruce ‘loves football’ — but won’t let son play
-Source: Veteran Canadian linebacker Greenwood re-signs with Toronto Argonauts

?‍?Another colourful presentation by Marshall Ferguson. He looks at the regional geography of where our best CFL prospect talent comes from. It's an interesting look at the various colleges and their win percentages in the CIS football ? program, and how it relates to the number of players drafted...
IMG_0257.jpg

For the full article:
http://www.marshallferguson.com/single-post/2017/03/04/Which-Canadian-University-has-CFL-draft-bragging-rights

CFL.ca Staff
The CFL will host regional combines for the fifth consecutive year with the trio beginning in Montreal for the Eastern Regional, Toronto for the Ontario Regional and Regina for the Western Regional.
Last year, 17 players from regional combines were extended an invitation to the National CFL Combine in Regina, March 23-25.
-Rosters Set: CFL reveals list of 2017 Combine participants - CFL.ca @CFL cfl.ca/2017/02/09/ros… #CFL
http://www.cfl.ca/2017/02/09/rosters-set-cfl-reveals-list-2017-combine-participants/
 He 

?‍?The Montreal Alouettes replaced a Reed with a....Read. Bruce Read replaces Kavis Reed (new GM) as Special Team's Co-ordinator. 

Bob Irving - Bombers should sign Thomas Miles, U of M product, good Cdn LB, recently released by Toronto ......?‍?In the"we can dream category",  signing Miles and Eddy Steele, would be humongous....Oh well.

10 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

we ignore it because he had 2 rather large reasons for missing time.. surgery and a broken hand are both kind of big deals, no?  Not like he sprained an an ankle or had a bad hamstring..

honestly,  can you explain to me how you feel its right to pass judgement on a players ability to play football and contribute to his team when hes physically unable to do so and when he got healthy, was limited to very little reps and touches due to being down on the depth chart?  if my memory serves, he didn't look horrible in his limited time during the season or in pre-season prior to breaking his hand..

I'm passing judgement on his past play, not on his future. 

According to CFL.CA, he played in 17 games over 2 years (Almost half the games) recording a single catch.

He's the #3 NI receiver for a reason. That's not an excuse for limited playing time. It's a decision made by the coaching staff.

'He didn't look horrible' is hardly an endorsement.

He didn't have to beat any top NI receivers (Kohlert was #55 in the league in receiving yards last year and JFG was #73) to move up the chart, but he couldn't move past either of them. It will be interesting to see if Richard can even move past Coates in TC.

Can you explain how any of that suggests that Richards is anything other than a failure at this point in his CFL career?

20 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Watching old footage of that 2011 draft, from what I saw on the TSN scroll right before Chevy announced the Scheifele pick was that Joel Armia was rated higher than Scheifele at that point.  Imagine if they had taken Armia instead and Scheifele had gone elsewhere.  Now we have both.  Chevy is doing something right.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

?‍?Another colourful presentation by Marshall Ferguson. He looks at the regional geography of where our best CFL prospect talent comes from. It's an interesting look at the various colleges and their win percentages in the CIS football ? program, and how it relates to the number of players drafted...

IMG_0257.jpg

For the full article:
http://www.marshallferguson.com/single-post/2017/03/04/Which-Canadian-University-has-CFL-draft-bragging-rights

Very interesting article! Ferguson does a great job of explaining the story the data is telling him.

1 hour ago, holoman said:

Anybody wanting to draft Rashaun Simonise will have to wait a year.  Serving a 4 game NFL suspension

?

So he tested positive for a banned submarine?

I'd imagine he's still draft eligible this year but that you couldn't sign him to a CFL contract while under NFL suspension.  And what counts as serving a suspension when he's not even under contract in the NFL?