Bombers Trade Willy for DB TJ Heath, Acquire Kevin Glenn

Atomic

30 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

We are one of the few teams to be able to find and develop a true star calibre QB in recent years.

BC - Lulay, Jennings(?) - Lulay's reign was short lived but he had a few great years and a GC ring
Calgary - Mitchell - they haven't been hurting at QB since the days of Kevin Feterik
Edmonton - Reilly - Maybe credit for him can go to BC but he only really hit his stride once he signed in Edmonton.
Sask - Durant - solid QB with GC ring
Toronto - Collaros, Harris - Only reason one of these guys isn't in Toronto is they had great stability at the position which allowed them time to develop
Hamilton - one of the only ones with a similar issue at QB development as we do but with the luxury of having one of the best at the position playing for them currently.
Montreal - surprising how they had no one really develop behind Calvillo despite having Milanovich there for many years.
Ottawa- only in year 3 so not really a whole lot of precedent here but maybe Jensen in a few years?

We are the only team in the league with consistent turnover at the position since Glenn left. Someone should start a QB jersey similar to the one that the Browns have, I imagine it would look very similar.

Developing a QB starts in the scouting dept.  Mack and his predecessors did not have the knack for identifying QB talent and Walters has yet to prove that he does either.

46 minutes ago, Judd said:

I have NO problem with NOT "developing" our own qb. Many of the starters in the league started off somewhere else and gained an opportunity when they've proven themselves. But my god it's getting ridiculous already. If Nichols doesn't bring us to the promised land this year I see no way he could in the future. This defence isn't going to last years and field-goaling everyone to death isn't a recipe for success. 

I don't have a problem with it either, so long as we can procure someone else's QB. Problem is, relying on other teams to scout and develop players for you will come back to bite you when that well dries up and you're left with what you brought in.

Edited by Nash00
Porblem isn't a word

25 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Developing a QB starts in the scouting dept.  Mack and his predecessors did not have the knack for identifying QB talent and Walters has yet to prove that he does either.

I think this year we're finally starting to see our scouting network develop... it takes time to establish yourself in the scouting game... hopefully our guys have enough contacts that we will start to uncover some Hufnagel/Barker/Buono-esque gems in the coming years...

9 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I think this year we're finally starting to see our scouting network develop... it takes time to establish yourself in the scouting game... hopefully our guys have enough contacts that we will start to uncover some Hufnagel/Barker/Buono-esque gems in the coming years...

Definitely agree, it will also help if we can hold on to some of these guys so we're not constantly trying to rebuild an entire roster in one off-season. Chances are in future seasons we will be able to sign americans/ draft canadians and stash them on the PR who are hidden gems since they won't have to be rushed. 

IMO Walters is doing a masterful job of recruiting and drafting.

2 minutes ago, LimJahey said:

Definitely agree, it will also help if we can hold on to some of these guys so we're not constantly trying to rebuild an entire roster in one off-season. Chances are in future seasons we will be able to sign americans/ draft canadians and stash them on the PR who are hidden gems since they won't have to be rushed. 

IMO Walters is doing a masterful job of recruiting and drafting.

So far promising quarterbacks are noticeably scarce.

50 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I still say Mack could find talented players, where he sucked was finding the right coaches. Lapo wanted robots who never took chances and Burke wanted guys to go under the bus. With all the turmoil surrounding that team I don't think anyone at the qb position really got a fair shake. 

35 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I still say Mack could find talented players, where he sucked was finding the right coaches. Lapo wanted robots who never took chances and Burke wanted guys to go under the bus. With all the turmoil surrounding that team I don't think anyone at the qb position really got a fair shake. 

True to a point.... 2010-11 the team looked okay but Mack kinda gave up in 2012 and the group of players in camp in 2013 was the worst I've ever seen.

39 minutes ago, LimJahey said:

What's wrong with Bennett and Davis? Theyre as promising as any QB prospects we've ever had here.

Ya I don't know why anyone would write them off at this point...  No idea what we have in those two guys.  In 2012, Bo Levi Mitchell's stats were 12/21 for 168 yards, 2 TD and 2 INT.  Even the best need some time on the bench at the beginning of their careers.

2 hours ago, Nash00 said:

We are one of the few teams to be able to find and develop a true star calibre QB in recent years.

BC - Lulay, Jennings(?) - Lulay's reign was short lived but he had a few great years and a GC ring
Calgary - Mitchell - they haven't been hurting at QB since the days of Kevin Feterik
Edmonton - Reilly - Maybe credit for him can go to BC but he only really hit his stride once he signed in Edmonton.
Sask - Durant - solid QB with GC ring
Toronto - Collaros, Harris - Only reason one of these guys isn't in Toronto is they had great stability at the position which allowed them time to develop
Hamilton - one of the only ones with a similar issue at QB development as we do but with the luxury of having one of the best at the position playing for them currently.
Montreal - surprising how they had no one really develop behind Calvillo despite having Milanovich there for many years.
Ottawa- only in year 3 so not really a whole lot of precedent here but maybe Jensen in a few years?

We are the only team in the league with consistent turnover at the position since Glenn left. Someone should start a QB jersey similar to the one that the Browns have, I imagine it would look very similar.

Funny you mention this. I started doing it. I am starting with a Glenn Jersey from 2009 and was going to run down the starting QBs since then and get all the way back to Glenn (not that I hope that Happens but would look pretty funny). I remember back in 2012 Weiciek saying that we had something glike 24 starting QBs since Glenn but I can't fins that list anywhere. Anyone know where I can find it or have a good list of all the QBs since Kelly released Glenn?

1 minute ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Funny you mention this. I started doing it. I am starting with a Glenn Jersey from 2009 and was going to run down the starting QBs since then and get all the way back to Glenn (not that I hope that Happens but would look pretty funny). I remember back in 2012 Weiciek saying that we had something glike 24 starting QBs since Glenn but I can't fins that list anywhere. Anyone know where I can find it or have a good list of all the QBs since Kelly released Glenn?

Off the top of my head:

Lefors
Bishop
Randall
R. Williams
Pierce
Jyles
Brink
Elliott
Goltz
Hall
Boltus
Willy
Brohm
Davis
Nichols

QBs that have come through Winnipeg since 2009 .. quick list .. might be missing one or two.

Stefan Lefors

Bryan Randall

Richie Williams

Michael Bishop

Casey Bramlet

Adam DiMichele (PR)

Ricky Santos

Zac Champion

Joey Elliot

Justin Goltz

Alex Brink

Buck Pierce

Brandon Summers (PR)

Steven Jyles

RJ Archer

Max Hall

Jason Boltus

Levi Brown (PR)

Drew Willy

Robert Marve

Matt Nichols

Dom Davis

Bryan Bennett

Brian Brohm

2009- Lefors, Bishop, Williams, Bramlet, Randall,

2010- Pierce, Jyles, Brink, Elliott

2011 Pierce, Elliott, Brink, Goltz

2012- Pierce, Brink, Elliott, 

2013 Pierce, Goltz, Hall Boltus

2014 Willy, Marve, Brohm

2015 Willy Marve brohm, Nichols, Davis

2016 Willy Nichols

Didn't use wikipedia, so there may be a name or 2 missing

Edit- Only entered guys who took a useful snap or two

Edited by holoman

11 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

QBs that have come through Winnipeg since 2009 .. quick list .. might be missing one or two.

Stefan Lefors*

Bryan Randall*

Richie Williams

Michael Bishop*

Casey Bramlet

Adam DiMichele (PR)

Ricky Santos

Zac Champion*

Joey Elliot*

Justin Goltz*

Alex Brink*

Buck Pierce*

Brandon Summers (PR)

Steven Jyles*

RJ Archer

Max Hall*

Jason Boltus*

Levi Brown (PR)

Drew Willy*

Robert Marve*

Matt Nichols*

Dom Davis

Bryan Bennett

Brian Brohm*

Thanks!! I have stared the ones I can remember who actually started in a game. Let me know if I missed any or wrong on any lol.

41 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Stefan Lefors

Bryan Randall

Richie Williams

Michael Bishop

Casey Bramlet

Adam DiMichele (PR)

Ricky Santos

Zac Champion

Joey Elliot

Justin Goltz

Alex Brink

Buck Pierce

Brandon Summers (PR)

Steven Jyles

RJ Archer

Max Hall

Jason Boltus

Levi Brown (PR)

Drew Willy

Robert Marve

Matt Nichols

Dom Davis

Bryan Bennett

Brian Brohm

thats probably 1 or 2 more then montreal brought into TC this year LOL.

1 hour ago, holoman said:

2009- Lefors, Bishop, Williams, Bramlet, Randall,

2010- Pierce, Jyles, Brink, Elliott

2011 Pierce, Elliott, Brink, Goltz

2012- Pierce, Brink, Elliott, 

2013 Pierce, Goltz, Hall Boltus

2014 Willy, Marve, Brohm

2015 Willy Marve brohm, Nichols, Davis

2016 Willy Nichols

Didn't use wikipedia, so there may be a name or 2 missing

Edit- Only entered guys who took a useful snap or two

I would beg you to define how any snaps Jason Boltus took were "useful" lol.