Matt Nichols to start in Edm.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/07/24/matt-nichols-to-start-thursday-in-edmonton/

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers will make a quarterback change this week as Matt Nichols steps behind centre in favour of Drew Willy.

Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea will make the move official after practice on Sunday and in advance of this week’s game in Edmonton against the Grey Cup champion Eskimos.

The Bombers are 1-4 to start the season and the change is part of an attempt to spark an offence that is struggling to find some consistency, having been kept to under 20 points in three of the five games.

Nichols came off the bench with 8:53 remaining in the Bombers’ 33-18 loss to the Calgary Stampeders last Thursday, and promptly led the club to its only touchdown of the game with an 18-yard strike to Weston Dressler that was followed up with another completion to Dressler for a two-point convert.

The 29-year-old Eastern Washington product finished the night nine of 15 for 88 yards with the one TD and no interceptions.

Willy, meanwhile, was 23 of 33 for 234 yards with no touchdowns and one critical interception – returned 34 yards for a score by Joe Burnett – that prompted the in-game switch to Nichols.

O’Shea said immediately after the Stamps’ game he wanted to consult with his offensive staff and watch film before making a decision on who would get the start. But he did say this about Willy’s pick six:

“He tried to force that ball in there on that touchdown… he’s trying to make plays, right? He also had some good throws. He threw that one down the sideline to Darvin (Adams). He made some plays and then he had one where he wants to have it back because he’s trying to force the ball in there.

“You can’t fault him for trying, though.”

Nichols was acquired from the Eskimos last September for a seventh-round draft pick after Willy was injured in a loss in Hamilton and following the ineffective play of both Brian Brohm and Robert Marve.

He was 2-5 as a starter in Winnipeg, while the Esks were 5-2 in games in which he started before the trade. He finished last year with 3,245 passing yards with 19 touchdowns against 17 interceptions.

Thursday’s game will be his 20th in his career as a starter.

Willy, meanwhile, has put up decent passing totals – albeit somewhat misleading. His 1,473 yards is among the CFL leaders, but a good chunk of his totals have come late in games and with the Bombers well behind on the scoreboard.

He is now 12-21 as a starter. The Bombers are 11-18 in games in which he has started, but just 2-10 when he has not been available.

More updates to follow late after practice on bluebombers.com.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Congrats to the Bombers. No one will ever be able to call you cheap again, now that we've got the most expensive backup QB in the league. BTW: I hope Nichols does well against Edmonton as we have to put up more than 30 points to beat them.

This kinda feels like a trap- starting Nichols in a game wherein the Bombers have low chances of winning. Thus, if Nichols does not win (probable), O'Shea can say ,"See? I told you." Still, change has to start somewhere and we can hope that Nichols plays well enough to keep the game close throughout the whole 60 minutes.

6 minutes ago, tracker said:

This kinda feels like a trap- starting Nichols in a game wherein the Bombers have low chances of winning. Thus, if Nichols does not win (probable), O'Shea can say ,"See? I told you." Still, change has to start somewhere and we can hope that Nichols plays well enough to keep the game close throughout the whole 60 minutes.

What game do the Bombers have a high chance of winning right now?   Hamilton the week after?   Toronto the week after that?   Then we are into our bye and that is the most likely week O'Shea gets fired.

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

What game do the Bombers have a high chance of winning right now?   Hamilton the week after?   Toronto the week after that?   Then we are into our bye and that is the most likely week O'Shea gets fired.

I mean, if that is a serious question, ya. What's our winning % and average margin of losing in Edmonton? It's brutal. Yes, a home game vs Hamilton is a much easier game than Edmonton @ Commonwealth.

That being said I don't think it's a trap by MOS. He's 1) not smart enough for that 2) trying to save his job. Willy isn't getting it done and even Iron Mike has to stop smiling for a moment and try something new.

Edited by White Out

7 minutes ago, White Out said:

I mean, if that is a serious question, ya. What's our winning % and average margin of losing in Edmonton? It's brutal. Yes, a home game vs Hamilton is a much easier game than Edmonton @ Commonwealth.

That being said I don't think it's a trap by MOS. He's 1) not smart enough for that 2) trying to save his job. Willy isn't getting it done and even Iron Mike has to stop smiling smirking for a moment and try something new.

Fixed it for you.

Blue Bomber Talk
So the #Bombers get an angry, cantankerous, desperate #Eskimo team next week.
This should be fun. #CFL

**#**

But what version do we get? The 35 min dominant beat-absolutely-anybody version?, or the laid back can't-stop anybody version? They get what? one practice after a couple of days off?

And Reilly? He must be SORE as hell. Credit the Ticats for only 3 sacks, but Reilly was pumelled a few times out there.

The game plan to beat the Eskimos has been laid out.
But which version of the Bombers will show up? The one where they game plan against the other team? Or the one where they out-game-plan themselves?

Matt Nichols eh? This is vey interesting, and very necessary. Just for the sake of shaking things up, this has the earmarks of being an inspired move OR, very scary. Had to be done though, and just might tweet that inner QB in Willy's mind.

Let's hope A Bowman comes up with a serious one day hang nail or something, so he can't maneuver out there. 

Edited by Mr Dee

That's no big surprise.  You have to look at results and if you throw out all the garbage yards Willy has accumulated, it's pretty obvious that he isn't getting it done.  Nichols, if nothing else, will provide more of a spark as he seems more emotional and he isn't as predictable.  It doesn't matter who we start, there's a tall order ahead as Edmonton will be snarly.  They relaxed after half-time and basically gave a game away and they'll be fired up.  I was hoping they would be complacent after a big win; no such luck.  Good luck to Matt.

Bottom line......the other CFL teams can put an halfway competent (or better) O on the field.  We simply have not.  Until we do, we have virtually no chance of winning games.   Willy has not been good enough - he is not alone - but the buck stops at the QB. 

That said, even with the switch - a whole bunch of people around Nichols will have to play better, for this to work.

We will see Willy back at some point.  The 400k deal is - does this crush him, or does he bounce back off the floor....

Good point Do - Bomber receivers have not been making plays at all for their QB's. I don't think the bombers even have a legit downfield threat - so that's will help the porous Esk Defence big time, just like it did when they played in Wpg. 

Good call on Nichols though - he'll be fired up which is why I mentioned it in the chat. I know you think it's a 'trap' game tracker but IMO it's the exact opposite. Willy does not inspire the offense whatsoever, and as soon as he faces any kind of adversity in a game, he folds like a cheap tent.

But the real issue on Thursday will be the bomber secondary. They'd be shredded if they were healthy - three guys out (if that's the case  - including Randle) spells 500 yards passing for Reilly

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Blue Bomber Talk
So the #Bombers get an angry, cantankerous, desperate #Eskimo team next week.
This should be fun. #CFL

**#**

But what version do we get? The 35 min dominant beat-absolutely-anybody version?, or the laid back can't-stop anybody version? They get what? one practice after a couple of days off?

And Reilly? He must be SORE as hell. Credit the Ticats for only 3 sacks, but Reilly was pumelled a few times out there.

The game plan to beat the Eskimos has been laid out.
But which version of the Bombers will show up? The one where they game plan against the other team? Or the one where they out-game-plan themselves?

Matt Nichols eh? This is vey interesting, and very necessary. Just for the sake of shaking things up, this has the earmarks of being an inspired move OR, very scary. Had to be done though, and just might tweet that inner QB in Willy's mind.

Let's hope A Bowman comes up with a serious one day hang nail or something, so he can't maneuver out there. 

Nice sum up of how exhausting it is to be a committed Blue Bomber fan. It's there for the taking but more times than not over the last several years we don't take, we give.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Congrats to the Bombers. No one will ever be able to call you cheap again, now that we've got the most expensive backup QB in the league. BTW: I hope Nichols does well against Edmonton as we have to put up more than 30 points to beat them.

Wow... weren't you calling for a change in QB? (If not I am sorry for the remainder of the post)

So, you want change at QB and then **** all over them when they make the change? wtf?

1 minute ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Wow... weren't you calling for a change in QB? (If not I am sorry for the remainder of the post)

So, you want change at QB and then **** all over them when they make the change? wtf?

I've been calling for a change at HC. I doubt changing to Nichols will accomplish much of anything. I don't think he's a starter or even an upgrade over Willy. I SUSPECT this isn't O'Shea's call either. It's more likely IMO that it's Walters/Miller's way of making a big change without canning O'Shea outright. 

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Question is, did O'Shea make this decision on his own or were the rumours last week of Miller interfering true?

Watch film. What a pathetic response by our HC & so typical. I am sure he was told to start Nicholls.

3 hours ago, tracker said:

The results will look bad either way, a win and he should have pulled Willy sooner, a loss and the team really is as bad as we think it is.

Most of the time I agree with Tracker, however I really don't feel this is a "trap" game. We have nothing to lose, Willy in all likelihood is playing himself out of a job. ( yes I'm changing my tune ). Nicholls will be very motivated and fired up to play his old team. That may be enough to inspire and rally the guys to play better and with more determination.

Someone else posted that being a Bomber fan right now is "exhausting". That poster couldn't be more right.