How long is Willy's leash?

1 minute ago, White Out said:

When your out of arguments it's easy to attack other posters as we're seeing above. Willy has demonstrated so clearly he doesn't have what it takes. 

But keep harping on stuff people may have said years ago. Lol.

you should talk about attacking posters, you spent all night in chat slinging insults around like it was going out of style. 

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's funny that people are pining for Kevin Glenn, because I remember not too long ago people were adamant that Glenn had to go for the same reasons they're unhappy with Willy now. 

And I remember when a time when a certain poster said Jade Etienne was improving based on that person's observations of practice and game film.  He was proving to be a very astute pick by the Joe Mack administration.  I also remember that poster stating that Joe Elliott was a competent QB and would see some success elsewhere.  This poster was defiant despite evidence provided by several well-respected posters on this matter providing rather compelling evidence to the contrary.  Both players moved on to other teams only to be shortly released thereafter never to be heard from again.  

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's funny that people are pining for Kevin Glenn, because I remember not too long ago people were adamant that Glenn had to go for the same reasons they're unhappy with Willy now. 

I was one of those but only if they found someone better.  He blew in the playoffs. But man did we have it good back then didn't we boys?  

Now we have offensive talents of the early 2000s.  We have a RB that came make something out of nothing and pretty good receivers.   The online is holding their own which is far better then they have been for a few years.  

We have a max hall Qb.   That's the key. With  Burris et al we are winning these games I believe.     3 years of growing pains at years end is enough  to determine if willy has it or not.  

I dont see anything this year to tel me has it.   His can manage the game but with him at the helm I don't have any belief we can come back and win it. 

Edited by Adrenaline_x

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

QFT and khari before him. Its amazing how many people think the way to create a winning team is to have a mad carousel at QB till you strike gold. There is a reason why willy is struggling to do more then complete more then quick passes, and why harris is having his worst stretch running the ball too. It aint qb. Willy is no HOFer, and i doubt he ever develops into one. but he isnt whats stopping us from winning. 

People pined for Khari to be taken off the field because he was done in 2004.  What is this mad carousel at QB you are referring?  Your comments seem to imply that the Bombers switch their starters with regularity...like every year.  The reality is Kevin Glenn was the starter for the better part of 5 years, Lefors/Bishop for 1, Buck for 4 years, and Willy for (nearly) 3 years.  Your comments belie the reality of the Bombers

13 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

He has a longer leash. He'll at least get half the season. There are no other options. Nichols has some advantages but is also a turnover machine. 

To be honest, I don't think there is an "answer" at QB on the roster this year.

Sadly it is starting to appear that way.  I still hold out a glimmer of hope for Willy.

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

The film won't lie. If guys were open down field and he was dumping it late in game, he should be benched no matter how much he is making. A leader needs to be looking down field for the win when the game is on the line. As I have said before, he is not calling the plays. Need sideline routes to stop clock, need longer strikes down field. He was f'n around like they had 5 minutes on the clock

Yeah, I really don't get the play-calling... they could have managed the clock much better near the end of both the Montreal game and the game tonight...as well as before the half in the Calgary game when they botched a potential field-goal attempt. Every other team seems to understand the concept of getting out of bounds = free time out when the game is on the line.

As for how long Willy's leash is... this loss is definitely on the offense. By no means did Willy play well tonight, but personally I thought things really started to go south for the offensive unit as a whole when one of our O-linemen (I think it was Jermarcus Hardick) checked out with an injury.

Edited by Eternal optimist

John Hodge from 3 Down Nation had some interesting takes on last night's game. As well as the play of Drew Willy of which he never thought much of. He puts most of the blame for the loss to Drew Willy. I won't say much more. Let you read for yourself. Some other surprising & interesting tidbits in the story as well.

https://outlook.live.com/owa/?path=/mail/inbox/rp

Edited by iso_55

Two points from John Hodge in 3down nation.

1. Drew Willy’s play in Thursday night’s 20-16 loss to the Edmonton Eskimos was simply unacceptable. ****Willy fell back into old habits against the Eskimos with sluggish decision-making and errant throws. Willy also continued his frustrating season-long struggle to connect on the long ball, consistently missing targets over twenty yards downfield.

4) O’Shea said after the game that he never considered pulling Willy. It is this type of inexplicable stubbornness that will have O’Shea interviewing for special teams coordinator jobs in five months’ time.

http://3downnation.com/2016/07/15/end-willypeg-_-thoughts/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

8 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

I don't want Tate, Lulay, Glenn or even Burris. No mediocre old has been or never was. A guy that I WOULD be willing to take a chance on however is James Franklin. He looks like he could be a real player in this league.

You'll have to fight Saskatchewan Corky for that guy!

36 minutes ago, tracker said:

I do not think there is any way that O'Shea is going to bench Willy, and the two will go down together like Ahab and his whale. O'Shea's devotion to his players will be his undoing but we fans will have to suffer through it.

In a proper football organization (governed by results) Willy's number would be up at around game 3 or last nite at the latest. In a market like Sask'n where he was only option (other than rubs) he'd get 6 to 8 games.

In an organization governed by discombobulated thinking and the covering up of organizational shame I think they'll extend the leash to 10 or 12 games - the latter if Willy can pull off 1 or 2 career outings in the next four games and 1 or 2 W's - that little ditty always buys inferior personnel (coaches or players) extra games.

7 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Yeah, I really don't get the play-calling... they could have managed the clock much better near the end of both the Montreal game and the game tonight...as well as before the half in the Calgary game when they botched a potential field-goal attempt. Every other team seems to understand the concept of getting out of bounds = free time out when the game is on the line.

As for how long Willy's leash is... this loss is definitely on the offense. By no means did Willy play well tonight, but personally I thought things really started to go south for the offensive unit as a whole when one of our O-linemen (I think it was Jermarcus Hardick) checked out with an injury.

We're not really talking about top level football minds in Shame-Town are we?

22 minutes ago, Root said:

In a proper football organization (governed by results) Willy's number would be up at around game 3 or last nite at the latest. In a market like Sask'n where he was only option (other than rubs) he'd get 6 to 8 games.

In an organization governed by discombobulated thinking and the covering up of organizational shame I think they'll extend the leash to 10 or 12 games - the latter if Willy can pull off 1 or 2 career outings in the next four games and 1 or 2 W's - that little ditty always buys inferior personnel (coaches or players) extra games.

I suspect that Willy will get every start until at least the season is lost, which ought to be by the end of August, at which point we will be 3 and 6 or such. Perhaps O'Shea's successor can coach Willy up better.

Edited by tracker

9 minutes ago, tracker said:

I suspect that Willy will get every start until at least the season is lost, which ought to be by the end of August, at which point we will be 3 and 6 or such. Perhaps O'Shea's successor can coach Wily up better.

So the real betting is on whether the football no-minds in Wpg. decide to can O'Shea and Willy in a package deal or just Willy - or 3rd option JUST O'SHEA.

Whatever they do, it won't solve the inherent problem

8 hours ago, wbbfan said:

QFT and khari before him. Its amazing how many people think the way to create a winning team is to have a mad carousel at QB till you strike gold. There is a reason why willy is struggling to do more then complete more then quick passes, and why harris is having his worst stretch running the ball too. It aint qb. Willy is no HOFer, and i doubt he ever develops into one. but he isnt whats stopping us from winning. 

To some extent that is true (he's a pocket passer and I can count on one hand the number of times he had an actual pocket to pass from last night), but the nature of the CFL allows for a QB to create something out of nothing.  It even allows for the spectacular to be created out of disaster.  Willy isn't doing that.  Reilly did it about 4 times last night.  Those plays are the daggers Bomber fans are so used to feeling.

I don't think Willy could ever be that kind of QB - that usually goes hand in hand with enhanced mobility powers - but he is expected to compensate by being absolutely clinical in his execution.  Last night was very rookie-like for long stretches, and he's not a rookie.

As for how long his leash is, that's an awfully personal question.

4 minutes ago, Root said:

So the real betting is on whether the football no-minds in Wpg. decide to can O'Shea and Willy in a package deal or just Willy - or 3rd option JUST O'SHEA.

Whatever they do, it won't solve the inherent problem

You have to start somewhere, and I propose that acknowledging Willy as not the quarterback the team needs is a beginning. Moreover, O'Shea got out-coached again by a rookie as the Esks pulled steadily away after the first quarter. I am also not pleased at the scouting staff's results. After all this time we still do not have a breakaway receiver, and it irks me that Collins might have been that guy.

1 minute ago, tracker said:

You have to start somewhere, and I propose that acknowledging Willy as not the quarterback the team needs is a beginning. Moreover, O'Shea got out-coached again by a rookie as the Esks pulled steadily away after the first quarter. I am also not pleased at the scouting staff's results. After all this time we still do not have a breakaway receiver, and it irks me that Collins might have been that guy.

You'll never have a breakaway WR if Willy is terrified of throwing balls over 20 yards. His pocket presence is worse than ever - while Reilly has that intuitive ability to shrug off/elude guys so close he can smell their stench.