How long is Willy's leash?

2 hours ago, braddman19 said:

Threw into triple coverage, when the receiver he was looking at prior to, seemed to be wide open when the throw was made (or at least had single coverage).

Gotta hand it to Edmonton, they are not afraid to throw the ball.  Reilly is one heck of a hucker!

He has guys that can go up & get the ball. We don't. Hate to say this but we need big, tall speedy receivers. Our receiving core can't get it done.

13 hours ago, 17to85 said:

you should talk about attacking posters, you spent all night in chat slinging insults around like it was going out of style. 

13 hours ago, White Out said:

The chat was salty all around. 

I think that was mostly me.

Also, when are we going to find out that Root is ******* Morris with a VPN? ****** is a total troll.

Drew Willy is not the solution, nor the leader, for this team going forward. That was a winnable game last night. I can't think of any other starter, or Tate or Franklin or Lulay, who wouldn't have  carried the Bombers to a win. A couple of throws, a couple of runs. Really, that was all that was needed. Willy could not win us that game. He is going to make some team, somewhere a good backup, at way less money. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Drew Willy is not the solution, nor the leader, for this team going forward. That was a winnable game last night. I can't think of any other starter, or Tate or Franklin or Lulay, who wouldn't have  carried the Bombers to a win. A couple of throws, a couple of runs. Really, that was all that was needed. Willy could not win us that game. He is going to make some team, somewhere a good backup, at way less money. 

Getting the ball with 1:29 on the clock with 100 yards to go for the winning td isn't exactly a gimme for any qb.

I don't think you'll see us trade for a qb until it's certain we're going to have the number one or two pick in the draft next year. It'll take that & another impact starter off our roster to get a qb off another team's roster. Unless we sign someone in free agency. I'll be shocked if another team will trade with us for a qb this early in the season.

11 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Getting the ball with 1:29 on the clock with 100 yards to go for the winning td isn't exactly a gimme for any qb.

I don't think he's referring to the end of the game, he's referring to the entire game. The O did pretty much nothing once again, they put up a touchdown, but it was on a play that was called back by a dumb hands to the face block, they got that ball at the 20 yard line of Edmontons... in the  third quarter, bombers were inside Edmonton territory again, this time, Willy stared down his receiver and threw the ball in to triple coverage only to be intercepted, well with in field goal range. The game is not won and lost on 1 or 2 plays, it's won or lost throughout the game and there were plenty of examples in this game of Willy just not getting the job done when it mattered. 

Bombers had some pretty great field position at times and the O did nothing with it, Is it all on Willy? Nah, but throwing balls in to the dirt, under throwing receivers who are wide open and throwing interceptions in to triple coverage certainly is. 

Let's play the what if game, even though it wouldn't be like this but... let's pretend for a moment, the bombers kick a fg instead of it being intercepted by Sheritt in the 3rd.. Let's just pretend the rest of the game is even....that makes the score 20-19 Edmonton, so instead of having to go for the TD at the end, a FG would have won the game. 

It's just playing pretend but... in a way, you can say the play that perhaps cost us the game was Willy throwing in to triple coverage in the third cuz you'd assume that we'd have kicked a fg there. 

Edited by Goalie

12 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Drew did that twice in his first year.

Oddly enough, I used to have strong faith in his ability to mount that come back drive and win it with time expiring.

I do not have that faith in him any more.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

9 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I don't think he's referring to the end of the game, he's referring to the entire game. The O did pretty much nothing once again, they put up a touchdown, but it was on a play that was called back by a dumb hands to the face block, they got that ball at the 20 yard line of Edmontons... in the  third quarter, bombers were inside Edmonton territory again, this time, Willy stared down his receiver and threw the ball in to triple coverage only to be intercepted, well with in field goal range. The game is not won and lost on 1 or 2 plays, it's won or lost throughout the game and there were plenty of examples in this game of Willy just not getting the job done when it mattered. 

Bombers had some pretty great field position at times and the O did nothing with it, Is it all on Willy? Nah, but throwing balls in to the dirt, under throwing receivers who are wide open and throwing interceptions in to triple coverage certainly is. 

Let's play the what if game, even though it wouldn't be like this but... let's pretend for a moment, the bombers kick a fg instead of it being intercepted by Sheritt in the 3rd.. Let's just pretend the rest of the game is even....that makes the score 20-19 Edmonton, so instead of having to go for the TD at the end, a FG would have won the game. 

It's just playing pretend but... in a way, you can say the play that perhaps cost us the game was Willy throwing in to triple coverage in the third cuz you'd assume that we'd have kicked a fg there. 

If we are going to play pretend why don't we also pretend that the defense didn't give up that touchdown at the end of the first half. hell even if they'd kept it to a field goal all of a sudden the Bombers could be leading or tied at the end. There are a million what ifs over the course of a football game. Trying to pick out one or two is just a fools errand. 

2 minutes ago, White Out said:

This really sounds like the nonsensical train of thought people would use when attempting to defend pavelec.

I was actually gonna use Pavelec as the example. Drew Willy right now is no different than Ondrej Pavelec, he is holding the team back. Only difference here tho is the Jets actually have a young guy in Hellebuyck who can take over. I'm not sure the bombers have a guy that's better than Drew Willy and upon further reflection, i don't think trading for a burris glenn or tate is a very good idea. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

you're obsessed with Pavelec, why is that? I'll say this as someone who isn't even a huge Jets fan, Pavelec is an OK goalie, not perfect but OK. Not the guy to carry a team on his own but support him he can hold the fort. 

He's the worst starting goaltender in the NHL by a country mile, and, it really says a lot about your opinion you think he's ok lol

2 minutes ago, White Out said:

He's the worst starting goaltender in the NHL by a country mile, and, it really says a lot about your opinion you think he's ok lol

the worst by a country mile? no sir, you need to watch more teams than just the jets. Could start locally in Calgary perhaps. 

I'll say this... Drew Willy is struggling but i feel he can still turn it around, Pavelec? nah, he's done for. That's actually not a fair comparison at all... Willy shows signs of being a good QB, Pavelec has had 5 or 6 years to show, he's well below NHL average in terms of numbers, save percentage and everything else. 

I'm just pointing out that i think Willy really struggled last game, i'm not oblivious to the other problems on the field, theres a few for sure but... one of the main ones is Willy can't throw a deep ball, he can't throw a pass 20 yards. He does get time to throw also, it's not like he's got guys in his face all game, he had time, he just didn't do anything with it. I will admit, i a fan of Drew WIlly, but... if this keeps up, i'm going to be losing my faith in him pretty soon. I was willing to give Willy 4 or 5 games to show that he's not shell shocked, that he can recover and become a good QB, but we will be going in to week 5 next week and so far, Willy hasn't been very good. 

I'll just add this, I don't expect Drew Willy to be perfect, i don't care if he throws for 300 yards or 400 yards or 200 yards... It's irrelevant, but... what is concerning so far is his lack of accuracy on the deep ball, his lack of protecting the ball let's say in key situations, that interception in the third last night, that's a dumb throw... No justifying that one. It's just a bad dumb throw in to triple coverage. I think he might have potential still but... the more games that go by, the more i think perhaps that potential just isn't there anymore. Perhaps Drew Willy's best football has already been played. He looks like he's regressing to me and for a guy to be regressing but getting paid like an elite cfl starting QB, i'm not sure how anyone can justify his play. He's being paid 400,000. He's not playing like a 400,000 dollar QB tho. Not sure he's even playing like a 100,000 dollar QB. 

Edited by Goalie