GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg

Rich

If you look closely at the throws to Bowman, not all of them are perfect. Bowman just uses his size to get the ball. The one into double coverage comes to mind. Macho just looked lost on play and basically stands there and watches him catch the ball. There is a reason why Dressler is at slot and not WR. He isn't a burner and isn't tall. On the underneath stuff 20 yards and less Dressler is as good as anyone. Fearless with great hands. On the long ones he just has to be wide open to get it. Its too easy to shut him down on a contested ball. I question that play call in the first place. Secondly its easy for people to say Willy should have done this or that, But reality is that its pretty friggin hard to throw a ball that deep on a rope. You play percentages, guys like Bowman or Chiles or Arceneaux that have some size do not require the ball perfectly thrown and they don't have to be wide open to catch it. Does Willy actually have to throw the ball perfectly every time they go deep for someone to catch it?? Be nice to see some receivers make a friggin play and help him out. Went to Adams early a bit and then it seemed he was out of the playbook after that. Adams has been awful good this year, WTF wasn't he getting more looks?  3 weeks ago you were having success with Harris and went away from him. IF its working you have to stick with it. I see a lot of this landing on Lapo's plate. Play calling has been super conservative for Bombers this year.

29 minutes ago, StevetheClub said:

And that is a well-articulated argument as to why his time as our starting QB is up.

Yeah but we did the same thing to Buck Pierce too. Should we throw another qb to the wolves and let them get mentally destroyed before we fix the real problems with this team? 

4 minutes ago, Root said:

Willy doesn't see the field like an ace like Reilly. Reilly is able to bounce off the pressure - and find any or all open guys - seemingly at will.

That is called "dynamic intelligence"- the ability to adapt rapidly to a fluid situation.

I think it's pretty obvious that you need a QB who is somewhat mobile in the pocket. Willy isn't that guy. You look at Reilly or Collaros or BLM... you see guys who can escape pressure and use their legs to move the pocket. Willy is pretty much a statue back there. If I'm a d coordinator playing against Willy... I blitz all game long.

A few weeks ago I said I'd give Willy 4 or 5 games until I make a judgment on him. It's been 4 games and with average quarterback play we are probably 2 and 2. The O with Willy has basically done nothing now for 4 games. 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah, that's why we've fired Lapo twice already. Hattrick here we come. That and once again Lapo got his lunch money stolen in the half time adjustment game. 

IMHO, Harris is not a great rb. His runs are successful when not used a lot. He is awesome as a blocker, and awesome leaking out of the backfield catching the ball. Anyone remember Craig Ellis from the old days. That dump play was money and almost unstoppable. Seems Lapo isn't playing to the strengths of the team. Dressler underneath is money also. Adams needs way more touches too.

3 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I will trade Willy for Burris at this point. Burris will be better as a starter & mentor for Davis / Bennett.

Willy is not worth the money he is getting right now.

Agreed that Willy is not worth what he costs, but Burris is questionable- how tread does he have on his tires and does he want to come here under this regime?

2 minutes ago, tracker said:

Agreed that Willy is not worth what he costs, but Burris is questionable- how tread does he have on his tires and does he want to come here under this regime?

Why Burris is questionable? He just hurt his pinky and from his last game that I saw, he played very good.

5 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I will trade Willy for Burris at this point. Burris will be better as a starter & mentor for Davis / Bennett.

Willy is not worth the money he is getting right now.

Desjardins has superior football intelligence to Walters. You think he'd trade a $450k guy who almost won a cup for a dud like Willy? But the thought is intriguing. Willy would have to re-neg. his contract to around $175 to $200k if he wants a shot at staying in the league. Meanwhile, he'll such all the game shecks he can suck - so long as the team is blind to the problem!

Just now, tracker said:

Burris keeps himself in amazing shape and has never had a serious injury. He wants to be the man and wants his money. He has no job to come back to now in Ottawa. He will play anywhere IMO. I wouldn't doubt if he plays next year too in the league. Is Burris the answer, I don't think so. Would he come to the Peg, absolutely he would, but Willy would have to be gone.

3 minutes ago, tracker said:

Burris would be infuriated to be traded to a team with a dud head coach, an incompetent GM and a rather sketchy team president. Well, at least the money is guaranteed!

2 minutes ago, Root said:

Desjardins has superior football intelligence to Walters. You think he'd trade a $450k guy who almost won a cup for a dud like Willy? But the thought is intriguing. Willy would have to re-neg. his contract to around $175 to $200k if he wants a shot at staying in the league. Meanwhile, he'll such all the game shecks he can suck - so long as the team is blind to the problem!

1 minute ago, tracker said:

a: Burris is no spring chicken and b: does he want to come here and become roadkill?

i believe players dont have say on a trade. if he is traded and doesnt want to come here (like tom canada) bombers will get some compensation from redblacks.

but how are you sure that burris doesnt want to come here?

17 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah but we did the same thing to Buck Pierce too. Should we throw another qb to the wolves and let them get mentally destroyed before we fix the real problems with this team? 

The mentally destroyed QB is one of the problems, so we should get rid of him and address the other issues. I would actually argue that while other areas of the team have improved (still work to be done, of course), Willy has regressed.

15 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I think it's pretty obvious that you need a QB who is somewhat mobile in the pocket. Willy isn't that guy. You look at Reilly or Collaros or BLM... you see guys who can escape pressure and use their legs to move the pocket. Willy is pretty much a statue back there. If I'm a d coordinator playing against Willy... I blitz all game long.  

Fact is Willy's skill-set is not a good match for the CFL game, he's the least mobile QB in the CFL.

I'd split first team reps in practice this week and then start Willy in game. I'd let him know the leash will be short. Or just go to a straight up platoon situation during game. Be interesting to see what the Oline looks like with Nichols behind it. Be interesting to see if Lapo's conservative calls look conservative when Nichols is playing.

Just now, Ripper said:

I'd split first team reps in practice this week and then start Willy in game. I'd let him know the leash will be short. Or just go to a straight up platoon situation during game. Be interesting to see what the Oline looks like with Nichols behind it. Be interesting to see if Lapo's conservative calls look conservative when Nichols is playing.

If you as an  an OC have a  quarterback who is slow of mind and foot, you have to have a simplistic playbook.

15 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Burris keeps himself in amazing shape and has never had a serious injury. He wants to be the man and wants his money. He has no job to come back to now in Ottawa. He will play anywhere IMO. I wouldn't doubt if he plays next year too in the league. Is Burris the answer, I don't think so. Would he come to the Peg, absolutely he would, but Willy would have to be gone.

Burris is about to re-live the "Kevin Glenn" experience and you can't blame Desjardins for making either of those choices, the proof is in the puddin.

8 minutes ago, Ripper said:

O'Shea won't even acknowledge that possibility, it's a non-starter with him.

Anyone who thinks Burris wouldn't play here has no idea just how close he was to signing here in the first place.

Burris was about 99.9% of the way to signing here way back when we got Drew Willy instead. To the point that they had the jersey done up for the press conference to announce his signing here. Hank loves Winnipeg.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

Anyone who thinks Burris wouldn't play here has no idea just how close he was to signing here in the first place.

Burris was about 99.9% of the way to signing here way back when we got Drew Willy instead. To the point that they had the jersey done up for the press conference to announce his signing here. Hank loves Winnipeg.

Walters need to work on that.

Willy & Medlock for Burris.

Edited by M.O.A.B.