Week 4 Games - Wed (Ott @ TO) , Fri (Ham @ Mtl) & Sat (BC @ SK)

Jacquie

5 minutes ago, Root said:

That's very true but Harris was very good with a patchwork o-line in Toronto (when he replaced an injured Ray). Overall, I like Harris's tool-kit more than Willy's . . . .  but that doesn't mean Willy won't start the rest of the season for the bombers. He will - unless he's molested again.

Argos online as not patch work. Was pretty good last year.

2 hours ago, Root said:

Win some and you lose some. See: Kito Pooblah, Wagonner, Addison Richards, Matty Goosen. Tyson Pencer. are

I'd say 2 have washed out of the league (Pooblah, Pencer); Wagonner appears to be a solid special teamer but not worth giving up a #2 overall, Richards is a very iffy project and while Goosen is now a starter he's only starting cuz Walters doesn't have anyone better.

Lavertu was rated a can't miss by most. But the concussion issues have set him back big-time.

Lavertu took over from Brett Jones when he went to the Giants & the Stamps OL never missed a beat at center. Then the concussions happened & he hasn't played since late last season. I'm beginning to think he may never come back which is truly a shame. I hate seeing any players struggle with concussion issues.

Edited by iso_55

5 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Wednesday is a bad day according to Bluto. So, why are they playing today?

Maybe because they can't play on the weekend because of the Indy race and Wednesday was the only day available without screwing up their entire schedule. 

I'm just curious how many of you would be sitting outside doing anything when it's incredibly hot and muggy. The humidex in Toronto was over 40C. Personally I'm a heat wuss - you won't find me anywhere that doesn't have air conditioning when it's over 30C.

48 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

Maybe because they can't play on the weekend because of the Indy race and Wednesday was the only day available without screwing up their entire schedule. 

I'm just curious how many of you would be sitting outside doing anything when it's incredibly hot and muggy. The humidex in Toronto was over 40C. Personally I'm a heat wuss - you won't find me anywhere that doesn't have air conditioning when it's over 30C.

Blah blah blah. Always an excuse. Argo fans bitched about playing indoors. Now they ***** about playing outdoors?

Edited by iso_55

8 hours ago, Root said:

Win some and you lose some. See: Kito Pooblah, Wagonner, Addison Richards, Matty Goosen. Tyson Pencer. are

I'd say 2 have washed out of the league (Pooblah, Pencer); Wagonner appears to be a solid special teamer but not worth giving up a #2 overall, Richards is a very iffy project and while Goosen is now a starter he's only starting cuz Walters doesn't have anyone better.

Lavertu was rated a can't miss by most. But the concussion issues have set him back big-time.

I thought Goosen is a starter because Jeff Keeping is injured.

I think Goosen and Keeper would be sharing rotation on the bomber o-line - even though better o-lines usually consist of the same 5 man unit (barring injury). Goosen, and to a lesser extent Chungh require a bit of tutelage - and Keeper was the guy tabbed for that role.

4 hours ago, Jacquie said:

I can remember plenty of times at the old barn and having sweat just dripping down. Even dripping down my legs while I was doing my best to not move at all. So yeah I would be there, along with another 25,000 or so bomber fans.

1 hour ago, Root said:

I think Goosen and Keeper would be sharing rotation on the bomber o-line - even though better o-lines usually consist of the same 5 man unit (barring injury). Goosen, and to a lesser extent Chungh require a bit of tutelage - and Keeper was the guy tabbed for that role.

I can't ever recall a team rotating C's, it goes against continuity.

7 hours ago, johnzo said:

Whoah Trevor Harris 28/31 for just shy of 400 yards and zeropicks.  Dude's in a serious groove.

Impressive for sure. Along with R. Ray, both QBs had a percentage completion of -  82.5% (52 for 63) Both teams play a version of short yardage completion offence, like LaPo's. Both tried the killer long ball throws, with Harris being more successful.

You've really got to credit Jamie Elizondo for the brilliant mix on offence yesterday. He too, was a game star. Ottawa rushed for 84 yds while Toronto had a dismal 35 yds on the ground.

As to the crowd. I'd allow a mulligan on the attendance numbers last night because of all the closed streets and parking problems this would have presented.

The Indy Toronto race begins on Friday July 13th, and there's a lot of flag waving involved. The Argos and RedBlacks played a football game on Wed. and there were a lot of flags being waved and thrown. Was it a warm up?

A total of 28 flags were tossed, never mind the waving of challenge flags. Ottawa got the majority 19, and still won the game. Go figure.

Finally,  Hajrullahu gets full marks for the worst dive-for-a-tackle EVER on the punt return TD by Tristan Jackson. No use diving for the tackle when you're 5 yards away Lirim.

Not to excuse Argos fans or lack thereof, but +30 degree weather with humidity near 100% is nearly dangerous. Plus there was a big-name rock concert, and the streets looked like a maze. On 1290 Radio this morning, Dunigan said that it took him 20 minutes to get out the parking lot and he needed a friendly cop even then.

28 minutes ago, tracker said:

Not to excuse Argos fans or lack thereof, but +30 degree weather with humidity near 100% is nearly dangerous. Plus there was a big-name rock concert, and the streets looked like a maze. On 1290 Radio this morning, Dunigan said that it took him 20 minutes to get out the parking lot and he needed a friendly cop even then.

Maybe difficult for the players to perform in but hardly dangerous for healthy fans sitting on their asses.  Wear a hat!

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

37 minutes ago, tracker said:

And plenty of very good transit options. Not competing with a single sporting event or team last night either.

When you consider people manage to get to the Dome, at an average of 35K per game, there's no excuse.

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I can remember plenty of times at the old barn and having sweat just dripping down. Even dripping down my legs while I was doing my best to not move at all. So yeah I would be there, along with another 25,000 or so bomber fans.

As a fan I've sat thru cold like minus 25 temps in both 1972 & 93 (in Calgary), blizzards, rainstorms, heat & humidity so yeah I'd go.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

if it's so dangerous then why wasn't the game cancelled & rescheduled? #lametorontoexcuses

It will be a long struggle for the Argos to get relevant in the Toronto sports landscape but I believe the new owner has the capability of making it happen if he really wants it.  Tanenbaum is a big deal. I have more faith in him than a lot of the jokers who have been owning the hapless Argos. All the Toronto sports franchises (like all North American franchises) are important to the media to keep people tethered (me included) and Tanenbaum is on the board for Bell as well as MLSE. He helped bring NBA back to Toronto after almost 50 years. Look how MLSE has convinced Torontonians to buy the crap of a hockey team all these years.  I have more hope in the Argos now than I have for years. 

3 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

It will be a long struggle for the Argos to get relevant in the Toronto sports landscape

Exactly.  This is a slow uphill journey that will have to involve winning, good press and good experiences.  First you have to give them a reason to show up, then you have your one shot to give them a reason to return.

32 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Exactly.  This is a slow uphill journey that will have to involve winning, good press and good experiences.  First you have to give them a reason to show up, then you have your one shot to give them a reason to return.

I really don't know if it's possible, it's a kin to turning back time.  Gone are the days the Argos used to draw 45,000 to a game in Exhibition Stadium.  It's a big town that likes to focus on the big fish, even if viewed remotely.  If there was a way to turn the water-cooler talk back to the CFL that would be a step in the right direction but how do you do that?