Week 4 Games - Wed (Ott @ TO) , Fri (Ham @ Mtl) & Sat (BC @ SK)

Jacquie

CFL.CA GAME NOTES: A LOOK AT WEEK 4

Selected out takes from - http://www.cfl.ca/2016/07/12/cfl-ca-game-notes-a-look-at-week-4/

- This year’s average of just 166 rushing yards per contest is the lowest rushing total per game in CFL history – over 79 per cent of total yards gained in 2016 have come by the pass.

- This year the REDBLACKS lead the CFL with 520.0 yards per game on offence.

- Chris Williams is averaging 164.3 yards per game, all from his 25 catches. He is on pace for 2,958 receiving yards – well above the 2,036 yard record set by Allen Pitts in 1994.

- The visiting team has won eight of the 11 games thus far (72.7 per cent excluding the tie) and that is an unprecedented winning percentage by the visitors. Long-term visiting clubs have tended to win 40 per cent of the time.

- Scoring, offence continue to rise: Both remain up after a strong rebound in 2015 over the standout defensive 2014 season. Net offence is up to 764 yards per game (13 per cent higher) based primarily on a 20 per cent increase in passing yards over last year’s 533 yards per game mark. Scoring on offence sits at 47.8 points per game, up 7.4 per cent over the 44.5 points per game mark in 2015.

- Linebackers Ian Wild and Adam Bighill have each made 20-plus tackles thus far with Wild on top at 22.

- Lirim Hajrullahu: The Toronto kicker has gotten off to a great start and last week made six of seven field goal attempts at B.C. Place – one short of the Argos’ single-game record. He has made 11 of 12 FGs thus far and is averaging 13 points per game.

- Greenwood and Munoz: Cory Greenwood leads the Argos with 19 tackles and ranks third in the CFL, tied Ottawa’s Damaso Munoz. The two will square off for their respective defences on Wednesday night in Toronto.

- Trevor Harris at 80 per cent: Harris has completed 80 per cent of his passes this season and that rate continues to put him well above the completion percentage record of 77.2 per cent set by Ricky Ray in 2013. His passer rating of 143.3 tops the CFL record of 126.4 by Ray in 2013.   

Speaking of Harris - CFLNews - "We actually offered him more than he got." - Jim Barker on @Trev_Harris cfl.ca/2016/07/13/lan… #CFL #Argos #Redblacks via @CFLLandry

- Winnipeg emphasis on the pass: The Bombers have attempted 121 passes in their first three games, an average of 40.3 pass attempts per game. The club record for the most in a single season was set in 1993 at 39.3 per game so they are ahead of that pace. The Bombers have averaged just 16.0 rushes per game, just under the all-time club low of 16.4 per game set in 2000.

- Sean Whyte 18 straight: Has now made 18 consecutive field goal attempts and is just 4 short of Sean Fleming’s Edmonton record of 22 

- Winnipeg fourth quarter defence: Last week, the Bombers shut down Hamilton and did not allow a point in the final quarter to win 28-24. In the fourth Quarter thus far in 2016, the Bombers hold a 25-3 scoring edge. They have not allowed an offensive TD by any opponent and held Calgary without a first down and to just 14 net yards. Winnipeg forced two Hamilton fourth quarter turnovers and held Montreal to only a field goal.

7 minutes ago, Floyd said:

So Carter doesn't have a concussion but is being treated for 'headaches'...  I see.

Should be a shootout tonight...  feel like the RedBlacks lose because of Grigsby fumbles...

Ottawa starting two new DBs in the secondary tonight. It will be a shootout. Interesting also AJ Jefferson back and will most likely be against Williams.

Montreal down Glenn, S.J. Green, Carter, Stafford, and Sutton. Huge adversity, be interesting to see how they come out but I bet they look preseason bad.

I've got Montreal in the pick-ems but that was when I thought it was Glenn playing, wish I could change it.

Edited by johnzo

13 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Montreal down Glenn, S.J. Green, Carter, Stafford, and Sutton. Huge adversity, be interesting to see how they come out but I bet they're gonna look pre-season bad.

I've got Montreal in the pick-ems but that was when I thought it was Glenn playing, wish I could change it.

Me too. Wish we had this version of the Als in town on opening day.

One side looks reasonably full (70%) but other grandstand is barebones. If capacity is 24,000_ then its obvious only around 11 to 12000 attended this sweaty affair.

As usual game is being soiled by Mr. Don't Know Nothing on the microphone.

Rod knows were his bread is buttered - he won't mention nary a thing about the tiny little crowd.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

The gong show surrounding that penalty and the announcers not calling it...... Awful TV. Going on and on about the TD, meanwhile they're clearly lining up for another play.... 

Give Rapid Rodney a break - he wasn't paying attention. Nobody told him he had to pay attention!