Game Day Thread: vs Calgary Stampeders-- Friday, July 1st CANADA DAY EDITION

Sick and tired of hearing about people who ran this club in the past as being the problem of TODAY...there's definitely something wrong with the way things are being run NOW...I don't care how you want to dance around it...the head coach is very suspect and a fine example of that was the non-challenge of Cal. receiver dropping a pass out of bounds, that was definitely challengeable at least.... We then let the stumps get a quick play off and our coach was left with his jaw hanging open...Same thing happened last year along with poor clock management and it seems we don't care about those little things as nothing has been done to correct it...I'm not fooled by the last part of the game success, as it was all garbage time as far as I was concerned...Cal. was just playing at half speed at the juncture of the game BUT the last play...last sack of the game on Willy, was the real indication of the play throughout...This team is a dumpster fire and headed for the cellar...What can be done now???Fire O'Shea he is not head coach material...I've hung with this guy hoping that he'll turn this club around...Obviously I was fooling myself as O'Shea was fooling the locals as being a head coach...Players like him....that's great but that has got us sweet bippy and looking at another failed year...Something better get done or IGF is going to resemble a chasm of empty. 

Edited by Stickem
spelling error

Wikipedia on reinbold shows this.... if correct,  he had more experience than O'Shea.

1991–1993 BC Lions - WR and Special Teams Coach
1994 Las Vegas Posse
1995 Edmonton Eskimos (Defensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach)
1996 B.C. Lions (WR/ST Coach)
1996 Rhein Fire
1997–1998 Winnipeg Blue Bombers (HC)
Edited by Mark F

I was hoping to see some improvement but it's pretty obvious that Willy cannot beat a blitz, I don't think he can even read a defence judging by the failed ride and decide handoffs to Harris straight into a tackler.

Our secondary is not great, granted Calgary has some good receivers but we left them wide open on many occasions and we still need a real MLB.

I'd give them the first third of the season (6 games) to get their **** together and if not, you have to make changes. 5 wins isn't going to cut it this year.

7 hours ago, tracker said:

20-20 hindsight is always perfect, but in retrospect it was almost certainly a mistake to hire both a rookie head coach and a rookie GM to turn a troubled franchise with a record of embarrassing performances.

Actually, I was really concerned when this happened.  I was surprised how lucky Miller was that in his exhaustive search across the CFL for the very best person to manage this team, he happened to find exactly the right guy in the office down the hall.  Talk about fortunate!  And then when they hired a rookie HC, my thought was "Great.  Now when O'Shea wants advice he can walk down to Walters' office and tap into those weeks of experience.  What could possibly go wrong?"

I have to give O'Shea credit though.  By hiring Etcheverry and Bellefeuille at the get-go he insured that he wouldn't be the worst coach on the staff.  Pretty cagey Mike, pretty cagey!

31 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Actually, I was really concerned when this happened.  I was surprised how lucky Miller was that in his exhaustive search across the CFL for the very best person to manage this team, he happened to find exactly the right guy in the office down the hall.  Talk about fortunate!  And then when they hired a rookie HC, my thought was "Great.  Now when O'Shea wants advice he can walk down to Walters' office and tap into those weeks of experience.  What could possibly go wrong?"

I have to give O'Shea credit though.  By hiring Etcheverry and Bellefeuille at the get-go he insured that he wouldn't be the worst coach on the staff.  Pretty cagey Mike, pretty cagey!

all legitimate beefs that will almost surely be called "chest thumping negativity" 

good post.

When I initially looked at the brutal schedule this year I pretty much expected the Bombers to emerge form the first seven games with a 1-6 record being pitted against the 3 strongest clubs in the CFL two times each.  With a huge turn over in personnel it is a bit wishful to think that they are going to find ways to beat teams that they perpetually lose to.  The bloody schedule maker needs be investigated for a green family tree IMO.

With all the hype of TC, the new talent added to the roster and a new OC I had some hope that this would be the year that they were able to finally slay some of their dragons and steal a few wins emerging with a record of aprox. 3-4. 

It doesn't look to be in the cards this early in the season so it's time to revert to default plan and hope that they can progressively learn and improve through these early games to emerge as a capable team ala the 2014 Esks.,   Even if their record ends up being 1-6, if they can perform well over the easier second half of the schedule and eek out a play-off spot my expectations will be on track with what I initially hoped for last Dec.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

11 hours ago, tracker said:

Losing is one thing but getting our butts kicked repeatedly is another. Every team is going to lose games but the Bombers are playing without passion or confidence.

If we were losing but were competitive I don't think things would be this negative and I don't even live in Winnipeg any more. No one much cares about the CFL here in Toronto. For those of you living in Winnipeg, what is it like there?

Judging by the tone of the callers on CJOB's post-game show there seems to be a lot of anger. Is that accurate or are fans starting to abandon ship? I can't even imagine what it will be like if we completely tank this team, fire a coach or two and maybe even the GM. Tough time to be a Bomber fan.

People are really pissed off or totally don't care about the Bombers.  Its pretty bad right now.  

There is just nothing to cheer for.  An offence that plays conservatively and is off the field in 2-4 plays every time.  A defence that plays conservatively and doesn't tackle well.  It's boring, ineffective football.  At least we had the exciting defence under Kelly and for a couple years with Lapo.  Now what is there to get excited for?

32 minutes ago, Atomic said:

People are really pissed off or totally don't care about the Bombers.  Its pretty bad right now.  

There is just nothing to cheer for.  An offence that plays conservatively and is off the field in 2-4 plays every time.  A defence that plays conservatively and doesn't tackle well.  It's boring, ineffective football.  At least we had the exciting defence under Kelly and for a couple years with Lapo.  Now what is there to get excited for?

You're right. Not much. All this negativity and anger isn't fun. I keep flashing back to the Lapo signing and the FA season and how Miller, Walters, and O'Shea were high-fiving each other about the players they were picking up. There was so much optimism and this forum was buzzing. Two games into the season and it's all gone. It's shocking.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

If we were losing but were competitive I don't think things would be this negative and I don't even live in Winnipeg any more. No one much cares about the CFL here in Toronto. For those of you living in Winnipeg, what is it like there?

Judging by the tone of the callers on CJOB's post-game show there seems to be a lot of anger. Is that accurate or are fans starting to abandon ship? I can't even imagine what it will be like if we completely tank this team, fire a coach or two and maybe even the GM. Tough time to be a Bomber fan.

The fans in Wpg. are still pasiionate and fully engaged and that is important, nothing worse than living in a place were the fans are disinterested like T.O., Vancouver or Calgary. 

28 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The fans in Wpg. are still pasiionate and fully engaged and that is important, nothing worse than living in a place were the fans are disinterested like T.O., Vancouver or Calgary. 

You're right. Here in Toronto the CFL barely makes the sports news. There is strong NFL envy here and people still hold out hope of landing the Buffalo Bills one day. The other thing is there is so much choice for a fan's sporting dollar. There's the Leafs, the Jays, the Raptors, TFC, etc.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

You're right. Here in Toronto the CFL barely makes the sports news. There is strong NFL envy here and people still hold out hope of landing the Buffalo Bills one day. The other thing is there is so much choice for a fan's sporting dollar. There's the Leafs, the Jays, the Raptors, TFC, etc.

Yep, times are a changing and with globalization and massive marketing budgets people place less and less emphasis on CDN. culture and institutions.  Younger fans migrate to what's biggest and perceived as best and lose perspective on what they have in their own back-yard and why it's important to Natl. and local identity.  Grumpy old men are destined to become even grumpier.