Muamba released!

IC Khari

Muamba is too big now to play in the CFL. Made a few plays for Montreal, but I thought he didn't look the same/as good as when he was in peak form here.

don't care that he's Canadian. We don't need him here. He won't be coming here I predict. Got guys that worked hard, are improving,  and want to be here. Keep them.

he's in a funny spot, could have been a highly admired superstar in the CFL, now he'll be a guy who played special teams in the NFL for a few years.

Edited by Mark F

I think the kid turns 27 this year?

At this point, he doesn't really have the time remaining to go through an entry level NFL deal to get a lucrative second contract...

If I'm Henoc and I have good reason to think that I can get 200k+ for each of the next 3-5 seasons in Canada, I would bend my efforts towards this immediately. Time flies and he could chase an NFL deal and be a 30 year old who's out of football with no savings.

The thing is, even practice roster players in the NFL make a minimum of $6,600 US per week.  Over and 18 week schedule, that is $119,00 ($162,000 Canadian).

That number goes way up if he gets on a roster or negotiates a higher practice roster salary.   The downside (if he gets signed) is about the same or a little less then he would make in the CFL.  The upside is huge compared to what he could get in the CFL.

Sometimes players need to ask themselves if they want to be a big fish in a small pond or see what they can do against the best of the best.  I can't fault anyone for chasing the NFL.

He needs to judge how realistic a chance he has of actually getting a roster or PR spot.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

The thing is, even practice roster players in the NFL make a minimum of $6,600 US per week.  Over and 18 week schedule, that is $119,00 ($162,000 Canadian).

That number goes way up if he gets on a roster or negotiates a higher practice roster salary.   The downside (if he gets signed) is about the same or a little less then he would make in the CFL.  The upside is huge compared to what he could get in the CFL.

Sometimes players need to ask themselves if they want to be a big fish in a small pond or see what they can do against the best of the best.  I can't fault anyone for chasing the NFL.

He needs to judge how realistic a chance he has of actually getting a roster or PR spot.

No reason Henoc can't come back to the CFL when his days of chasing an NFL job are done.  As a Natl. he could still play 5+ years in the CFL if he stays healthy even if he delays his return another 2-3 years.

This might explain the strange timing of his bonus coming due.

(1) interesting wrinkle in Henoc Muamba release. His bonus was due Feb. 15 which was originally FA deadline but @cfl moved it up to Feb 9

— gary lawless (@garylawless)

February 17, 2016

(2) when FA deadline was moved up to Feb 9, it cut Muamba off from Day 1 of free agency and a lot of budget.

February 17, 2016

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

This might explain the strange timing of his bonus coming due.

(1) interesting wrinkle in Henoc Muamba release. His bonus was due Feb. 15 which was originally FA deadline but @cfl moved it up to Feb 9

February 17, 2016

(2) when FA deadline was moved up to Feb 9, it cut Muamba off from Day 1 of free agency and a lot of budget.

February 17, 2016

Oh well, perhaps he should have advised his agent February in the CFL is not the time for bonuses to come due. 

On 2/16/2016 at 10:48 AM, cptkirk said:

My guess is that he works out for a few NFL teams, and if there are no takers he'll go on the CFL road show tour and sign with whoever pays him the most. I'd love to have him back as a Bomber, but I doubt it will happen.

agree with this. I dont see us having that kind of money especially for a LBer even if its henoc. Could see him being a guy late to camp, or missing it entirely waiting on the nfl.

He looked pretty big last time i saw him play, NFL size, not CFL sized, I dunno, he wasn't really that impressive when Montreal played. He was ok but he looked out of CFL shape, lost some of what made him so good a few years ago. He's a good player but i don't think he'd be worth the money or the headache that his agent brings. 

Muamba probably want a 1 year deal. To me, we can spend in other ways & like someone said earlier after the Tour was over & he signed in Montreal the hype was over. Did Popp screw him over, probably? But he was willing to screw over any team that signed him last year so it works both ways. Don't have a lot of sympathy for Henoc. I lost a lot of respect for him.

On 2/17/2016 at 10:39 AM, Mark F said:

Muamba is too big now to play in the CFL. Made a few plays for Montreal, but I thought he didn't look the same/as good as when he was in peak form here.

don't care that he's Canadian. We don't need him here. He won't be coming here I predict. Got guys that worked hard, are improving,  and want to be here. Keep them.

he's in a funny spot, could have been a highly admired superstar in the CFL, now he'll be a guy who played special teams in the NFL for a few years.

EH he didnt do a TC and had been tc/practise roster stuck for a while. Takes some time to get back into the groove of every down player, especially coming back to the cfl. If he stays he will be a force once again. 

On 2/17/2016 at 11:05 AM, Rich said:

That doesnt include signing bonus though. Generally cfl guys get a decent signing bonus. Idk if they get the per diem money on the pr but thats not a small amount either.