What happens with this guy?

IC Khari

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Being an un-drafted prospect the Bombers probably got Lirim at a bargain price in his first year and they definitely benefited from his pay/performance rato.  Second year was poor but I don't think they should use that as a bargaining chip against him.  Treat him as a great Natl. asset and sign him for the going rate with faith that he will perform well again.  If he stinks out the joint this year then they can think above moving on. 

Lirim may have squandered his plans for an NFL career for now but I would predict if he can put a few seasons of consistent kicking behind him he will be getting a look in an NFL camp sometime in the future.

Poor performance will always be used in bargaining. You simply don't pay those who performed badly the same as those who were average or great. If we sign Lirim, it will be at a bargain basement price with incentives.

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Poor performance will always be used in bargaining. You simply don't pay those who performed badly the same as those who were average or great. If we sign Lirim, it will be at a bargain basement price with incentives.

With that thinking it's likely he walks out the door only to be signed by a GM with more vision.  Then what?  Sign Medlock,... maybe, maybe not.  The Bombers could find themselves right back following the Riders model of picking discarded kickers off the scrap heap.  Is Paul McCallum still alive???

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

With that thinking it's likely he walks out the door only to be signed by a GM with more vision.  Then what?  Sign Medlock,... maybe, maybe not.  The Bombers could find themselves right back following the Riders model of picking discarded kickers off the scrap heap.  Is Paul McCallum still alive???

I have no problem if he walks. He wasn't even our starter by the end of last year. Medlock would be a huge upgrade IMO. His only downside is his passport.

7 minutes ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

To everybody who says sign him, please show me where Lirim says he is at home on pins and needles just waiting for the Bomber's offer.  He's had one on the table since last season that he thinks is beneath him apparently.  So I guess this makes it Walters fault since Lirim clearly can do no wrong.

He may or may not have any offers on the table and no one's saying it's Walters fault or that Lirim can do no wrong.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

I have no problem if he walks. He wasn't even our starter by the end of last year. Medlock would be a huge upgrade IMO. His only downside is his passport.

Not saying Medlock wouldn't be a good addition even with his passport, I question whether he will survive to F.A. unless Austin is happy to roll with Hillbilly Hugh O'Neill.

some coaches don't necessarily believe a kicker and punter should be the same guy. The biomechanics of punting and kicking are completely different with the advent of soccer style kickers. In the old days with straight like he kickers the action both both was along the same plane.

9 hours ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

Still waiting for someone to name a kicker who's come back from a season that bad.

Trevor Kennerd came back from a worse season. He was just barely a 50% kicker in 1982 and lost the Western Final that year on a missed field goal.  Became an 80% kicker in 1983 and was with the Bombers until the Westwood era began.

Edited by johnzo

20 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Hajrullahu's kicking game totally fell apart last season. Right now, I think the coaches don't trust that he can kick to win under pressure. If that is the case then his career as a Blue Bomber may be coming to an end. 

“90% of the game is half mental.” -- Yogi Berra

Whatever his problem was last year it was bad, real bad. Makes me think this guy is not right mentally. He was given every opportunity to work his way out of it and couldn't. 

6 hours ago, J5V said:

“90% of the game is half mental.” -- Yogi Berra

Whatever his problem was last year it was bad, real bad. Makes me think this guy is not right mentally. He was given every opportunity to work his way out of it and couldn't. 

Not every athlete or person in general can just up and say "no more mental block!"  Sometimes you need some time to decompress, refocus and learn/develop coping techniques and methods.  

Hes proven he can do it in his first season.. i dont see why he cant get back to that spot.   Sports psychologists are becoming more and more prevelant on pro teams.   Also, as mentioned, kickers are all a little kooky.. A lot like goalies in hockey.

18 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Who was the guy who took over field goals for him, I thought he was pretty solid as far as if we'd be looking at medlock, what was wrong with thd import were already running with

They need to have a backup on the roster anyways, so if they can afford the import position run with Lirim and Castillo until things wash out.  It'll take until game 4 to find out which version of Lirim shows up this year, good Lirim or baaaaad Lirim.

On 27/01/2016 at 6:01 AM, Jpan85 said:

Mason Crosby

Glad you brought up Mason Crosby. He had one year (2012) at 63.6 per cent, and followed that up with seasons of 89.2, 81.8, and 85.7 per cent respectively. No reason why Lirim can't respond, especially given the fact, like Crosby prior to the down year he showed he can kick at a high level. :) 

Off years are a part of sports. It happens. It doesn't mean a player can't rebound and be very productive. I'd hate to see Lirim sign elsewhere and be productive while he pay a hefty price for someone (granted, proven if it is Medlock) given the passports of the two.

This is a guy that was choking repeatedly and costing us games whilst releasing goofy youtube videos of trick kicks. This self-proclaimed "great player" missed 4 field goals and a convert in a loss to the Eskies 24-23. He should have been gone right then and there. Even though the Bombers supported this guy all season and throughout that horrific game he ducked the media afterwards taking to twitter a few days later to apologize. Questionable character, questionable mental toughness. If we stick with him he better reward us but I have my doubts.