rogers cell phone or MTS

Mark F

I will say this, if you live in Manitoba and you dont choose MTS or Rogers, I would say you're barking up the wrong tree.

MTS has the widest Cell network.  Rogers and MTS share towers.  Some of the other carriers have fine service in major centers but not rural.

If you have other home services, MTS makes the most sense as you can bundle Wireless, Wireline, Internet, TV and even Home Security.  MTS has a really good wireless/home internet/data bundle right now actually.

And as goalie said, MTS is still a local company.

I was with Telus for a bit, my lake is about an hour up highway 6..... No service.

I switched to MTS... service

My sister is on Rogers... she gets service at the lake.

MTS and Rogers are pretty much the same... but... like i mentioned, and maybe it's just me, but i feel it's better to support the local companies. 

One of the things I miss most about Manitoba is MTS. One day I will have an MTS contract again, and it'll be glorious. The only reason I'd ever go to Rogers is to get free NHL Centre Ice, but even then....do you really wanna support the most evil of empires??

I'm with Rogers and as much as I dislike them, I can't complain about my service with them.

I'm with them for a few reasons that probably don't apply to most people:

1) My corporate plan is much cheaper than anything out there (as far as similar plans go).  To get a comparable plan with MTS, it means paying an extra 50% each month and getting less data/minutes/features.

2) I'm out of province a fair bit so I need coverage outside of Manitoba and that's where I've heard MTS suffers a little (no idea if that's actually true though).

3) If I was to go with MTS, I'd want to bundle all my services but they still do not offer TV service in my immediate area of the city because of the way they set up their system (I'm basically a couple streets "out of range").

I love Bell in AB because they're one of the least offensive of all the pirates, they ate my MTS contract when I moved out here, and have solid coverage when I'm home in Winnipeg, at the cottage at Victoria Beach and even when I'm visiting folks back in Pinawa. But, again, if I was back in Manitoba, I'd have an MTS contract in a heartbeat.....

I'm with Rogers and as much as I dislike them, I can't complain about my service with them.

I'm with them for a few reasons that probably don't apply to most people:

1) My corporate plan is much cheaper than anything out there (as far as similar plans go).  To get a comparable plan with MTS, it means paying an extra 50% each month and getting less data/minutes/features.

2) I'm out of province a fair bit so I need coverage outside of Manitoba and that's where I've heard MTS suffers a little (no idea if that's actually true though).

3) If I was to go with MTS, I'd want to bundle all my services but they still do not offer TV service in my immediate area of the city because of the way they set up their system (I'm basically a couple streets "out of range").

Rogers is a big company and can beat the local guys with "loss leader" deals.  I have some friends with Rogers' corporate plans and I know of some MTS employees who were on Rogers because Rogers was willing to beat the MTS Employee discount.

If I recall, there was a brief trend where MTS plans went from Canada-wide stuff to Manitoba only, but are back to Canada wide for texting (and they have some good Canada-wide plans too).

One thing I like about MTS and I dont know if this is true for other carriers, but when roaming internationally, it no longer puts the onus on you to preemptively add a data plan or risk racking up massive data charges.  When you enter the roaming area, you receive a message prompting you to purchase a temporary data plan right from your phone.  If you opt not to, data is disabled.  No crazy data charges.  Wi-fi is still available ofcourse.

Sitting in my living room, the most I will ever get is two bars, and that is rare.  One is normal, and zero probably happens as often as two.  This is an area that MTS tells me is "covered".  In reality it's a dead spot that lies on the edges of two areas that are actually covered.  MTS knows this, they don't care, but most annoying of all is they just won't admit it.  When I got my Samsung G5 at a MTS Connects store I was told when I'm at home, my phone simply won't work as a phone.  It will work fine as a tab running off my wifi, but the MTS network will be close to useless.

Long story short, there's a pretty good chance my next phone contract will be on Rogers, as it seems like they provide legit service in my area.  And so far they haven't pissed in my face and then told me it's just raining.

thanks guys....

I know that MTS customer service for me has been excellent for the last few years.

Rogers tried to kill off the Argos. As a CFL fan, that alone makes me never, ever want to own a Rogers device of any kind. As a fan, don't put money into that company. I have Bell & I never have any issues with coverage. Go with MTS.

I love Bell in AB because they're one of the least offensive of all the pirates, they ate my MTS contract when I moved out here, and have solid coverage when I'm home in Winnipeg, at the cottage at Victoria Beach and even when I'm visiting folks back in Pinawa. But, again, if I was back in Manitoba, I'd have an MTS contract in a heartbeat.....

Yes, I have Bell as well. No issues at all.

thanks guys....

I know that MTS customer service for me has been excellent for the last few years.

Rogers tried to kill off the Argos. As a CFL fan, that alone makes me never, ever want to own a Rogers device of any kind. As a fan, don't put money into that company. I have Bell & I never have any issues with coverage. Go with MTS.

Pretty much this - I won't spend a dime on anything that gets Rogers money. I go as far to pirate any jets games on sportsnet or city so that they don't get the revenue from my cable subscription.

Right now Rogers cell plan in Manitoba are significantly cheaper than Roger plans in Ontario.

Lowest tier in ON is 500 MB data, unlimited calling / texting / messaging for $70

In MB its lowest tier is 2 GB data, unlimited calling / texting / messaging for $50

The MB plan is cheaper to compete with MTS.   If MTS ever gets bought out by one of the National carriers, expect to pay ON like pricing since there will be no local competition to bring the price down.

Right now Rogers cell plan in Manitoba are significantly cheaper than Roger plans in Ontario.

Lowest tier in ON is 500 MB data, unlimited calling / texting / messaging for $70

In MB its lowest tier is 2 GB data, unlimited calling / texting / messaging for $50

The MB plan is cheaper to compete with MTS.   If MTS ever gets bought out by one of the National carriers, expect to pay ON like pricing since there will be no local competition to bring the price down.

Yeah, kinda dirty pool to undercut the smaller local guy.  But I guess thats business.

It would be a shame if MTS was bought out after 100+ years.