The Environment Thread

Wanna-B-Fanboy

8 hours ago, Mark F said:

Semi fic*ed

"So that brings us back to where we started. Yes, we have failed to prevent dangerous climate change. It is here. What remains to be seen is just how bad we’re willing to let it get. A window of opportunity remains for averting a catastrophic 1.5C/2.7F warming of the planet, beyond which we’ll see far worse consequences than anything we’ve seen so far. But that window is closing and we’re not making enough progress.

We cannot afford to give in to despair. Better to channel our energy into action, as there’s so much work to be done to prevent this crisis from escalating into a catastrophe. If the extremes of this summer fill you with fears of imminent and inevitable climate collapse, remember, it’s not game over.

It’s game on."

Michael Mann, eminent climate scientist.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jul/19/heatwave-climate-omen-change-course-weather-models

I volunteered all winter feeding at a salmon hatchery, van. island. there are people there who have spent sixty years working on this project.  we released the fish into a few streams. yesterday we were asked to get ready to move them, by buckets, cause the one of the streams has dried up, due to record low rainfall. 

very disturbing.  how awful to see your life work, selflessly spent helping others, destroyed for the sake of billionaire oil company owners like the kochs. who are investors in Alberta I think.

I can’t imagine how demoralizing that would feel. 
Genuine thanks for your years of service. 

If this happens it will shake the world up like nothing we have seen. The last time it happened as far as I know was when Lake  Agassiz emptied out a shite load of water in a sort period .( I've read estimates that it was 7 times the amount of Lake Erie in a week or 2. )  Europe would  be really screwed. It would have e disastrous effects.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/25/gulf-stream-could-collapse-as-early-as-2025-study-suggests

19 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

I am guessing this only goes  ahead if the Silca Sands project moves forward

I am assuming that a connection exists between the two as well. Hoping that it won't lead to more corner cutting and bypassing environmental concerns that we have already seen with the Sio Silica project.

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

I am assuming that a connection exists between the two as well. Hoping that it won't lead to more corner cutting and bypassing environmental concerns that we have already seen with the Sio Silica project.

Green good other concerns bad

can not find post re room temp superconductor

it has been replicated twice by independent scientists:

There might be more to LK-99 than skeptics expected, as two research teams have already confirmed the superconductivity claims — albeit in preliminary testing. Researcher Sinéad Griffin from the U.S.'s Lawrence Berkeley National Lab pored over the original paper, taking advantage of the supercomputing capabilities within the Department of Energy to simulate the LK-99 material. This complex-yet-simple concoction results from combining the minerals lanarkite (Pb₂SO₅) and copper phosphide (Cu₃P), which are then baked within a 4-day, multi-step, small batch, solid-state synthesis process.

National Lab (LBNL) results support LK-99 as a room-temperature ambient-pressure superconductor.Simulations published 1 hour ago on arxiv support LK-99 as the holy grail of modern material science and applied physics. (https://t.co/4t4D2gIeBp)Here's the plain-english… pic.twitter.com/mQNQuO4TFuAugust 1, 2023

But in what's perhaps the most definite sign of a verification, Chinese researchers with the Huazhong University of Science and Technology have claimed to have successfully replicated the superconductor's manufacturing process, posting a video on Twitter as proof (expand the tweet above to see the video).

The above video showcases the Meissner effect as being definite proof of the material's superconducting capabilities. The Meissner effect refers to the expulsion of a magnetic field due to the superconducting process. It is the reason why the video showcases levitating materials — they are interacting with LK-99's Meissner-induced magnetic field."

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/superconductor-breakthrough-replicated-twice

Edited by Mark F

26 minutes ago, Mark F said:

There might be more to LK-99 than skeptics expected, as two research teams have already confirmed the superconductivity claims — albeit in preliminary testing. Researcher Sinéad Griffin from the U.S.'s Lawrence Berkeley National Lab pored over the original paper, taking advantage of the supercomputing capabilities within the Department of Energy to simulate the LK-99 material. This complex-yet-simple concoction results from combining the minerals lanarkite (Pb₂SO₅) and copper phosphide (Cu₃P), which are then baked within a 4-day, multi-step, small batch, solid-state synthesis process.

National Lab (LBNL) results support LK-99 as a room-temperature ambient-pressure superconductor.Simulations published 1 hour ago on arxiv support LK-99 as the holy grail of modern material science and applied physics. (https://t.co/4t4D2gIeBp)Here's the plain-english… pic.twitter.com/mQNQuO4TFuAugust 1, 2023

But in what's perhaps the most definite sign of a verification, Chinese researchers with the Huazhong University of Science and Technology have claimed to have successfully replicated the superconductor's manufacturing process, posting a video on Twitter as proof (expand the tweet above to see the video).

The above video showcases the Meissner effect as being definite proof of the material's superconducting capabilities. The Meissner effect refers to the expulsion of a magnetic field due to the superconducting process. It is the reason why the video showcases levitating materials — they are interacting with LK-99's Meissner-induced magnetic field."

This has staggering implications for almost every facet of techology. There is an interesting sidenote: the bodies generate Meissner fields so long as the bodies are alive- the fields collapse upon death.

Oh, and a Dutch teenager has come up with a way to charge electric automobile batteries in 4 minutes.

Cheap, renewable, non-poluting energy has a potential dark side. Whenever automotive fuels become cheaper, the size of new vehicles sold go up. When heating costs go down, the sales of insulation go down. We humans are incredibly self-serving short-sighted creatures.

15 hours ago, Mark F said:

Functional superconductors have the potential  to change the world. They would alter almost every technology, industry .....we have. News on the reduction of their functional temperature has been really quiet for a long time. The last I'd heard it was stuck at minus 70 C.  So is this legit ? Would if even be allowed by those who wield the real power in the world ? Imagine Manitoba feeding our hydro electric generated power to the Southern US or California in a small buried cable. They would allow the world to meet carbon reduction  targets easily with the changes they would generate. Sorry but I have my doubts that it is happening. But I'd be happy if it did.

South America is living one of the most extreme events the world has ever seen, unbelievable temperatures up to 38.9C in the Chilean Andine areas in mid-winter," Mr Herrera wrote on social media.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-04/south-america-extreme-heat-mid-winter-climate-change-scientists/102678662

seems the worst predictions were the most accurate ones.

On 2023-08-01 at 3:48 PM, Tracker said:

This has staggering implications for almost every facet of techology. There is an interesting sidenote: the bodies generate Meissner fields so long as the bodies are alive- the fields collapse upon death.

Oh, and a Dutch teenager has come up with a way to charge electric automobile batteries in 4 minutes.

RIP Dutch teen 

Being green is great but here in Canada we don't produce much bad stuff... all of us could have solar powered homes, drive electric cars and be greener than goose poop but if places with gazillions of ppl like India Pakistan China Africa(both), and anywhere else don't do the same, then we see minimal difference.  

Thing with poor countries, they don't care about climate cuz they are dirt poor. 

Last I checked there is only one sun. Climate initiatives only work if every country does it at the exact same  time. It's not working out like that tho. 

Lets be real 50 million vs billions. We don't make a difference really. Neither does England and some other places. Its China India Pakistan the USA that has all the ppl. 

Edited by Goalie

5 hours ago, WildPath said:

and maybe this:

"While working on a piece I wrote last month about a Canadian gold mine being shut down by protesters in Kyrgyzstan, I came across a statistic that I thought must have been a mistake. With all of the noise and criticism both domestically and internationally of Alberta’s Tar Sands, it seemed to me shockingly underreported that 75% of the world’s mining companies are headquartered in Canada.

All over the world, companies listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange and run out of lawyer’s offices on Bay Street or skyscrapers in downtown Vancouver (whose real financiers may live in Australia or Nevada) are handling the mining game at home, throughout parts of Asia, South America and surprisingly, even with all the talk of China’s investment in Africa, it turns out that it’s Canada, not China, who is quietly dominating and exploiting African mining. All told, almost 1,300 mining companies based out of Canada are investing hundreds of billions of dollars in over 100 countries around the world."

vice

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wdb4j5/75-of-the-worlds-mining-companies-are-based-in-canada

I bet you can correctly guess why. 

Edited by Mark F

28 minutes ago, Mark F said:

and maybe this:

"While working on a piece I wrote last month about a Canadian gold mine being shut down by protesters in Kyrgyzstan, I came across a statistic that I thought must have been a mistake. With all of the noise and criticism both domestically and internationally of Alberta’s Tar Sands, it seemed to me shockingly underreported that 75% of the world’s mining companies are headquartered in Canada.

All over the world, companies listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange and run out of lawyer’s offices on Bay Street or skyscrapers in downtown Vancouver (whose real financiers may live in Australia or Nevada) are handling the mining game at home, throughout parts of Asia, South America and surprisingly, even with all the talk of China’s investment in Africa, it turns out that it’s Canada, not China, who is quietly dominating and exploiting African mining. All told, almost 1,300 mining companies based out of Canada are investing hundreds of billions of dollars in over 100 countries around the world."

vice

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wdb4j5/75-of-the-worlds-mining-companies-are-based-in-canada

I bet you can correctly guess why. 

My wife is from South America. Canada has a reputation there for mining and it is not good. Very complicit in destruction of the Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...

Researchers seem to have solved the puzzle of LK-99. Scientific detective work has unearthed evidence that the material is not a superconductor, and clarified its actual properties.

The conclusion dashes hopes that LK-99 — a compound of copper, lead, phosphorus and oxygen — marked the discovery of the first superconductor that works at room temperature and ambient pressure. Instead, studies have shown that impurities in the material — in particular, copper sulfide — were responsible for the sharp drops in electrical resistivity and partial levitation over a magnet, which looked similar to properties exhibited by superconductors.

“I think things are pretty decisively settled at this point,” says Inna Vishik, a condensed-matter experimentalist at the University of California, Davis.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02585-7

Edited by Mark F

"Where we farm is also a factor. “In some cases, we make ridiculous decisions in terms of where we grow crops,” Rodell said. One Saudi company is growing alfalfa in the Arizona desert, pulling from the area’s groundwater supplies. That alfalfa is then shipped overseas to feed cattle in Saudi Arabia, where industrial-scale farming of forage crops has been banned to conserve the nation’s water."

Gift Article

Here’s where water is running out in the world — and why

https://wapo.st/3YEH2li

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

One Saudi company is growing alfalfa in the Arizona desert,

My spouse and I drove through Nevada, irrigating desert there too, to grow alfalfa in sand. Big circles of green in the sand, water spraying from giant sprinklers. Most of the water evaporating, or just running away …. Cause Sand does not hold water.

that was about ten years ago.

no problem  with mouldy hay!