Ken Moll Lecture On CFL Recruiting

GCn20

Found this video on Youtube. It is our former scout Ken Moll giving a lecture to sports agents about what scouts look for in players, and how they do recruitment in the CFL/NFL.

Some pretty interesting stuff in this video. I recommend anyone interested in what scouts do and what they look for to give it a listen. Takes a couple pretty good jabs at his former CFL employer, and talks a bit about some of the players he recruited for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgyQUnJMXes

Ken's hands were tied by Mack. If Ken liked someone and Mack didn't the player was dead in the water and was never brought in.

Isn't this true of any scout / GM relationship?   Or any superior / direct report?

If you can't convince your boss of something you want, he/she over rules you.

If this was posted before my apologies, first I've seen of it. It is interesting though. Dispels some of the myths we perpetuate around here though. I found it interesting that most of the real good prospects that CFL teams approach out of college or the NFL nearly always choose to wait a year before considering the CFL. Found it interesting that the scouts do some of the contract negotiating. I was also flabbergasted to learn that under Mack, Moll was our only US scout.

Really liked how he describes how important the measurable are and how agents should present a potential client to scout in a certain way. Sure dispels the myth that every team knows about every player and how important the combines are and how cheesy the open camps are regarded as.

How could one guy be expected to cover all of the United States? As good as Moll might have been, how many players slipped by him because it just wasn't humanly possible to do his job to the best of his ability? If the Bombers had more money to spend on scouting but Mack refused to do it then he was a fool & ultimately it cost him his job. Too bad Mack took Ken Moll down with him. 

Moll made a good point about free agent camps being a money maker for CFL teams & that they do exploit players by charging a hundred bucks to attend. He's probably right but that's the way it is if a young FA player wants to be seen by CFL teams. I know Toronto, Calgary & BC have signed a lot of players over the years from these camps so it's hard to criticize the way CFL teams (now including the Bombers) do business. If I had a chance to play pro football I'd gladly fork over a hundred bucks for the chance. Anyway, interesting video & thanks for posting it.

If the Bombers had more money to spend on scouting but Mack refused to do it then he was a fool & ultimately it cost him his job. Too bad Mack took Ken Moll down with him. 

One of the first things that Walters did upon becoming GM was to give himself a pay cut and put the money saved into the scouting operations.

That impressed the hell out of me.

If the Bombers had more money to spend on scouting but Mack refused to do it then he was a fool & ultimately it cost him his job. Too bad Mack took Ken Moll down with him.

One of the first things that Walters did upon becoming GM was to give himself a pay cut and put the money saved into the scouting operations.

Mack was paid as VP and GM. Walters is just GM. So he would have got a pay cut either way.

Having ONE American scout is an absolutely embarrassment.

one more than we had when Taman was here. That's been the Bombers MO prior to Miller. Cheap out on football ops.

Isn't that what Taman is being criticized for in Saskatchewan now? They have virtually no scouting dept.

If the Bombers had more money to spend on scouting but Mack refused to do it then he was a fool & ultimately it cost him his job. Too bad Mack took Ken Moll down with him. 

One of the first things that Walters did upon becoming GM was to give himself a pay cut and put the money saved into the scouting operations.

Wow! No kidding.

If the Bombers had more money to spend on scouting but Mack refused to do it then he was a fool & ultimately it cost him his job. Too bad Mack took Ken Moll down with him.

Mack was paid as VP and GM. Walters is just GM. So he would have got a pay cut either way.

You realize that those are just titles, right?  Walters is the head football guy, same as Mack was.  Both answered to the President/CEO and appear to have the same responsibilities except for the fact that Walters appears to have more subordinates.  So yea, he probably could have asked for and received the same pay as Mack.

I think the embarrassment is that Moll on his own found more and better American talent than the current army of US scouts.

Did he tho. We suck. Lots of those guys he found aren't very good are they?

You realize that those are just titles, right?  Walters is the head football guy, same as Mack was.  Both answered to the President/CEO and appear to have the same responsibilities except for the fact that Walters appears to have more subordinates.  So yea, he probably could have asked for and received the same pay as Mack.

Doubt it.  They'd have to be pretty stupid to pay someone with about 2 years of relevant experience the same as someone with 30.  What would you pay him if he had success and eventually had to re-sign?

I think the embarrassment is that Moll on his own found more and better American talent than the current army of US scouts.
Did he tho. We suck. Lots of those guys he found aren't very good are they?

I'll come up with a comprehensive comparison later. It's hard to judge a man in football for talent kept by a new regime 3 years later.

Doubt it.  They'd have to be pretty stupid to pay someone with about 2 years of relevant experience the same as someone with 30.  What would you pay him if he had success and eventually had to re-sign?

Well, Mack definitely has more overall football experience, but I'm fairly sure that he had never sat in the big chair before we hired him.  That makes him a rookie GM, just like Walters.  I'll concede that he might have made a little more starting than Walters, but I'd be surprised if it was considerably more.