Worst starter on the team

17to85

Surprised I'm the only person yet to mention JFG.

I'm a pretty big JFG fan, but when Dave first brought up this ridiculous idea on FB, my response was "JFG"...

Again though why not say what I originally said, I said Bucknor is arguably the worst starter on the team, you then went into a tizzy trying to claim that it was an outrageous idea. I also told you the guy I'd say it's close with is Picard, and that seems a well agreed upon idea there that Picard is one of the worst. 

Blind homerism in defending Bucknor though, why? Guy is nothing special and would only be acceptable as a starter if we were using the ratio flexibility better, but the same could be said of Picard or Neufeld or even JFG (though I still say he's better than Bucknor, but also used more sparingly as well given the teams desire to bring in a FB for some plays)

Picard then Neufeld. I think Picard takes this title in a landslide though.

Sure Bucknor is not very good, but at least he isn't exposed almost every single snap.

I think there are several DL who could make this category too. Peach for sure, maybe Turner if we are basing it off just this year's work.

Gotta be the OL.  Greaves, Neufeld, Picard, just pick one.  Chungh has been great considering he is a rare rookie Canadian starter but come on he's had some blowups too.  I like Bucknor, I think he does an ok job as a field corner.  And an "ok job" is better than what we're getting from the OL.

Interesting how far Bucknor seems to have fallen from the good graces of this site. Last season people were raving about him. It's easy to isolate on the play of a corner when so much of his responsibility is based on one on one coverage. Very similar to constantly blame a goalie in hockey when a goal is scored. What about all of the other failures that might have contributed. In football a weak pass rush that fails to put pressure on the QB, or a defencmen that coughs up a puck for a breakaway.

Interesting how far Bucknor seems to have fallen from the good graces of this site. Last season people were raving about him. It's easy to isolate on the play of a corner when so much of his responsibility is based on one on one coverage. Very similar to constantly blame a goalie in hockey when a goal is scored. What about all of the other failures that might have contributed. In football a weak pass rush that fails to put pressure on the QB, or a defencmen that coughs up a puck for a breakaway.

I think a few people expected him to get picked on more in a Richie Hall defence as opposed to last year's etch-a-sketch D.

The ratio exists, it's not going away.  The quality of our NIs this year compared to what it was two years ago still floors me when I think about it.  Massive upgrades.  And yet "package up Hurl, Bucknor and Neufeld and trade them away" shows up all over the place these days.  The ratio exists. It's not going away.  So that makes us worse.  I don't get...

So I'll re-work the question into if I was GM/coach and looking to make a single move to the starting lineup to turn losses into wins, where would I start exploring alternatives?  Center.  I think that is the single move that has the most potential benefit.  Of course that's only true if we find/have someone better.  Easy to say, not as easy to do.

Picard has been a big disappointment in an area that we really needed to shore up....Winding down his career I guess, but I thought he would bring more than he has...Next on the list ..Neufeld  ...too many hurts keeping him from being really aggressive, as he needs to be.

I'll go with Greaves because Neufeld was an upgrade when he went in then got hurt yet again. 

Bucknor gets picked on and exposed on a regular basis. Sometimes he's up to the task and folks talk about how good he is. More often, he ends up chasing his man down the field.

Hurl's gone from horrible to almost average. I'm hoping to see Simmons take his spot in a few weeks once he gets the defence down, but I expect O'Shea will stick with Hurl.

Picard's not as bad as lots around here make him out to be. He's better than anyone we had last year and obviously better than Goosen or else he'd be starting.

Bucknor and it's not even a question in my mind, only places I'd put as contenders are Picard and which ever of Greaves or Neufeld you'd call the starter now. 

Hard to really avoid putting the title on anyone not on the o-line.  Removing Bucknor would have a lesser impact in the game than removing Picard or Neufeld.

Bucknor and it's not even a question in my mind, only places I'd put as contenders are Picard and which ever of Greaves or Neufeld you'd call the starter now. 

Hard to really avoid putting the title on anyone not on the o-line.  Removing Bucknor would have a lesser impact in the game than removing Picard or Neufeld.

But that's as I said before a function of an attention grabbing spot vs. a spot that you can traditionally hide a weaker player in. Doesn't mean the guy in the hidden spot is better, just that it's less obvious on a play to play basis. I also believe it's a function of the OL struggling as a group where as the secondary outside of Bucknor is pretty ******* good. 

But that's as I said before a function of an attention grabbing spot vs. a spot that you can traditionally hide a weaker player in. Doesn't mean the guy in the hidden spot is better, just that it's less obvious on a play to play basis. I also believe it's a function of the OL struggling as a group where as the secondary outside of Bucknor is pretty ******* good. 

Same logic most teams use with most NI's though.  NI's are hidden on the interior of the Oline.  Receivers are hidden on the wide side of the field.  Secondary is hidden at field corner and safety.  Dline are hidden at nose tackle.  Only a few exceptional NIs get to play the difficult spots and manage to wrap themselves in glory.