Worst starter on the team

17to85

Anyone on the offensive line except Chungh. Take your pick.

You think Chungh is better than Bryant?

Chungh has been just as bad as everyone else... he's getting a pass because he's a rookie.

Yes, he should get a pass. Disturbing that Goosen can't crack this sad sack unit. Can't afford to keep blowing first round picks. 

You wanna know how bad Hurl is....they have two plays for him, blitz or drop into pass coverage, which is why you will rarely ever see him involved in tackling anyone. He is a uniform filler and nothing else. And Bucknor, why do you think that Leggett's play appears to have dropped off, because he's constantly worrying about looking out for Bucknor.

You wanna know how bad Hurl is....they have two plays for him, blitz or drop into pass coverage, which is why you will rarely ever see him involved in tackling anyone. He is a uniform filler and nothing else. And Bucknor, why do you think that Leggett's play appears to have dropped off, because he's constantly worrying about looking out for Bucknor.

Cool! How's your bye week going? Tell us how film study goes in prep for next week!

The Hurl hate is silly. Guys not the best but certainly not the worst. The D has been very good the last 2 weeks.

He brings nothing to the defense at the MLB position. I don't care how 'decent' he looks, the position requires someone better who can change a game with one play.

citation_needed.png

The Hurl hate is silly. Guys not the best but certainly not the worst. The D has been very good the last 2 weeks.

Simple problem .. he should look better than he is given that he's played for Hall in this defence .. he may make the odd play (right place at the right time) but he rarely gets home on his pressures .. doesn't get off blocks particularly well .. he lacks range and fluidity in general .. he's essentially a TED linebacker out there absorbing bodies and letting guys like Bass make plays.

So for me, his play is underwhelming. I expect more of an impact from that spot. It feels like we are trying to hide a NI in such a way so that he won't be a terrible liability.

You don't NEED an allstar middle linebacker. Once people get over that jonesing for the real sexy player at the position you'll see that Hurl is OK. Unspectacular but not a liability.

No .. but you NEED to have someone who isn't simply filling a jersey in the middle of your defence. Hiding a guy on the wide side of the field is one thing .. trying to do it down the middle is something else entirely.

Let's assume our team is healthy who in your opinion is the worst starting player on our roster?

I'd go with Mike O'Shea followed by Tracey, Wiley, and Bellefeuille.

Oh, you said "player"!   :)

You don't NEED an allstar middle linebacker. Once people get over that jonesing for the real sexy player at the position you'll see that Hurl is OK. Unspectacular but not a liability. 

This is the most moronic statement on this board since I tried to say Patrick Lavoie was a franchise player.

Crucify Bucknor but give Hurl a pass... ridiculous.

Woods, Elimimian/Bighill, Sherritt, Simpson, Reed/Lawrence

Yeah, you only NEED an allstar MLB if you want to win... that's all.

Moot point - Jasper Simmons replaces Hurl next week anyway.

This is the most moronic statement on this board since I tried to say Patrick Lavoie was a franchise player.

Well just as a comparison Hurl has more tackles than Sherritt does... so what's your criteria for LBs then? Passport? Hurl isn't a super star but he's not a liability either. BC has had a defence for a while that puts a lot of it on the middle linebacker, makes sense to do that when you have guys like Elemimian and Bighill back there, but that's only one way to play D. 

Well just as a comparison Hurl has more tackles than Sherritt does... so what's your criteria for LBs then? Passport? Hurl isn't a super star but he's not a liability either. BC has had a defence for a while that puts a lot of it on the middle linebacker, makes sense to do that when you have guys like Elemimian and Bighill back there, but that's only one way to play D. 

So you think Hurl is as good as Sherritt?

Has ANYONE considered the fact that Hurls responsibilties might not be what you want them to be? Maybe in Hall and O'sheas eyes he is doing what is asked of him..

Without sitting down and discussing scheme and defensive concepts with the coaches, none of us have a clue if he is doing good or bad..

Liability he is most definitely not as of late. Also, not expecting a learning curve for the guy (even if he has played the spot before..) is idiotic. Of course he needs time to gel with his LB Mates and know what the dline and secondary are going to do..

The myopic views of people here astound me.. Less then 3 seasons ago people were saying the EXACT same things about Muamba because he was a canadian MLB. Im not implying Hurl is even on thensame field as Muamba.. BUT what i am saying is that even if he reaches 70-75% of what muamba brings.. Then it makes sense.

Would be nice if we could see the benefits of having him in there in regards to the ratio to calm some peoples boobie but alas, life doesnt work that way..

I'd agree with that somewhat. One flaw I've seen with Hurl is he lacks peripheral vision when pursuing. This has resulted in him being pancaked on more than one occasion. i.e., he seems easy to block on sweeps etc.   

I hate to pull the revisionist history card... but I'll do it anyways... if we had drafted Darryl Waud at 11 we could be using two NI spots on the D-line with Westerman/Brown and Waud/Thomas... that would help the ratio and I actually think we would be getting better interior DL play with Thomas/Waud and Collins/Turner... but what do I know?  :)

Top 3 Worst Starters on Our Team: (if everyone were healthy)

1. Greg Peach -  guy should be a platoon player at best

2. JFG - just not CFL quality starter

3. Neufeld - had a strong first game and has struggled mightily since. Breaking down the film he is being exposed to the inside rush. Would be far better suited at RG.

Top 3 Most Under rated:

1. Picard - I know his snaps are poor but I have looked at a lot of the film and our Guards are making him look really bad. I used to coach OL and that would be my assessment. Our Guards have rarely been able to block one on one with consistency. Moreso Greaves and Neufeld. Chungh can block well but struggles against stunts and blitzes...an experience thing.

2. Bucknor - Teams are throwing at him. They have to throw at someone. He may be the weak link of our secondary but that doesn't necessarily make him weak.

3. Chris Randle - Lots of people saying he is a substandard SAM. I don't for the life of me know why. Thought he has done exactly everything we could hope for at SAM for us. Lot's of people not understanding what a SAM LBer's job is I think.