Worst starter on the team

17to85

I hate to pull the revisionist history card... but I'll do it anyways... if we had drafted Darryl Waud at 11 we could be using two NI spots on the D-line with Westerman/Brown and Waud/Thomas... that would help the ratio and I actually think we would be getting better interior DL play with Thomas/Waud and Collins/Turner... but what do I know?  :)

Thanks for reminding us...

Morgan instead of Lemar Durant was a tough one too

I would say the WIL has become the more impact position Bighill McCoil Mayo Bass Lawrence Munoz

I think it's more a function of teams using the 3rd linebacker spot as an additional secondary spot and you really have 2 linebackers and no true middle linebacker. Just two guys who chase down ball carriers in pretty similar positions. 

You don't NEED an allstar middle linebacker. Once people get over that jonesing for the real sexy player at the position you'll see that Hurl is OK. Unspectacular but not a liability. 

This is the most moronic statement on this board since I tried to say Patrick Lavoie was a franchise player.

Crucify Bucknor but give Hurl a pass... ridiculous.

Woods, Elimimian/Bighill, Sherritt, Simpson, Reed/Lawrence

Yeah, you only NEED an allstar MLB if you want to win... that's all.

Moot point - Jasper Simmons replaces Hurl next week anyway.

Well just as a comparison Hurl has more tackles than Sherritt does... so what's your criteria for LBs then? Passport? Hurl isn't a super star but he's not a liability either. BC has had a defence for a while that puts a lot of it on the middle linebacker, makes sense to do that when you have guys like Elemimian and Bighill back there, but that's only one way to play D. 

So you think Hurl is as good as Sherritt?

No I'm just making a comparison of stats between one supposed elite MLB and one guy who is apparently not very good at the position. 

I just don't know what to say to anyone who's got JFG down as our weakest link.

The guy catches most everything thrown at him. He's on pace for respectable fifth option numbers, and he throws good blocks downfield... He ain't spectacular (hair excepted) but he does his job.

That's more than you can say about our guards, who have rarely been able to block one-on-one with consistency.

I've been watching Hurl and I can see why he draws the ire. He does look a little awkward out there and he sure isn't gonna beat anyone to the sidelines. But when the scheme puts him in the right spot, he executes .. again, more than you can say for our interior OL.

watching him against BC, I noticed that whenever Harris ran between the tackles, Hurl had an OL in his face. Is a LB expected to shed an OL regularly? I understood that the tackles are supposed to prevent the OL from getting at the linebackers and that OL vs. LB is the sign of a very well-executed running play.

You don't NEED an allstar middle linebacker. Once people get over that jonesing for the real sexy player at the position you'll see that Hurl is OK. Unspectacular but not a liability. 

This is the most moronic statement on this board since I tried to say Patrick Lavoie was a franchise player.

Well just as a comparison Hurl has more tackles than Sherritt does... so what's your criteria for LBs then? Passport? Hurl isn't a super star but he's not a liability either. BC has had a defence for a while that puts a lot of it on the middle linebacker, makes sense to do that when you have guys like Elemimian and Bighill back there, but that's only one way to play D. 

No I'm just making a comparison of stats between one supposed elite MLB and one guy who is apparently not very good at the position. 

I guess that's why I didn't quote any stats...

If there is one revealing stat, its that bombers are worst in the league against the run - a lot of that is on the MLB.

If there is one revealing stat, its that bombers are worst in the league against the run - a lot of that is on the MLB.

And here I thought it was because we had a poor defensive line too. I'd put that as a bigger flaw in the run defence than the linebackers. 

Mlb is usually responsible for shutting down rb if he gets past DL - hurl is either just used to close a gap and randle or bass have to tackle

This is both scheme but also because hurl makes poor reads and has no closing speed - he's used as a pylon instead of cruise missile

There shouldn't have been a learning curve for hurl - same dc as last year - no learning curve when jones brings in his guys

And here I thought it was because we had a poor defensive line too. I'd put that as a bigger flaw in the run defence than the linebackers. 

This has been posted before, but it is really difficult to assess Hurl's performance with the sub-par interior D-linemen we have. The opposing O-linemen seem to coming through cleanly and wiping Hurl out or at least engaging him long enough for the back to blow through to the secondary.

you also need a good defensive line to keep them clean. Ever listen to the folks in BC talk about what the defensive linemen do there? They keep the OL off bighill and eleminian so that they can make tackles. Do you see our defensive line doing that much? I don't. They suck at disrupting the offensive line. They also suck at getting pressure on the qb. That group has just been a big disappointment this season. 

you also need a good defensive line to keep them clean. Ever listen to the folks in BC talk about what the defensive linemen do there? They keep the OL off bighill and eleminian so that they can make tackles. Do you see our defensive line doing that much? I don't. They suck at disrupting the offensive line. They also suck at getting pressure on the qb. That group has just been a big disappointment this season.

Yep true but Hurl was signed to a big contract to be an impact Cdn. He has not been terrible I agree but also not anywhere near the impact player we need at MLB.

Yep true but Hurl was signed to a big contract to be an impact Cdn. He has not been terrible I agree but also not anywhere near the impact player we need at MLB.

No he wasn't. He was signed to a mid level contract for a Canadian player and that seems fair to me. If he was signed to a big contract to be an impact Canadian he'd be making well over 200k a year, probably closer to 300.

Was he?

I don't think Hurl was signed to be an impact MLB, although that would have been nice. He's here to be part of a defence, and who has a role to play. From the information gathered, he is doing that job. He's starting now, and I think he will be part of a defensive set of NIs in the future that will include Waggoner, Bucknor, and maybe even Newman or others, like Morgan. They signed and drafted players with a goal in mind and right now, we're only seeing part of the picture.

The defensive line has been in the slow-to-start mode but it seems to be tending upwards in the last few games. they have affected the play of the LBs, who themselves had to learn their roles.

As shown in the last game, the defence did well to hold us in the game with our #1 out, against a decent Tor. team.

A fumble and punt return TD wasn't in the defensive game plan.

I hate to pull the revisionist history card... but I'll do it anyways... if we had drafted Darryl Waud at 11 we could be using two NI spots on the D-line with Westerman/Brown and Waud/Thomas... that would help the ratio and I actually think we would be getting better interior DL play with Thomas/Waud and Collins/Turner... but what do I know?  :)

Hell.. Why stop there. We could have used our supplimental on Ted Laurent instead of Poblah and had Laurent instread of Waud..

Hell.. Why stop there. We could have used our supplimental on Ted Laurent instead of Poblah and had Laurent instread of Waud..

b/c there's a huge difference between the two scenarios.... in my example, most would have agreed Waud was a better pick when the draft happened... I think his NFL potential may have been the biggest deterrent... In the 2011 supplemental draft Poblah and Laurent were both considered game changers... we needed a WR more and chose Poblah, which at the time, made sense... unfortunately for us Laurent, developed and Poblah didn't...

I'm not saying it's time to write off Addison... he has plenty of time to work out... it would just be nice to draft a few "now" players instead of all projects...