"There is nothing Marve can show in practice this week"

bb1

Its that the coaching staff appears to have both anointed and sustained Brohm as the #2...despite him accomplishing next to nothing, as a Bomber......that has some of our teeth on edge.   Not some pseudo conspiracy....

Maybe the rational posters to a degree yes.. But there is ample reasons listed as to why this is..

I'll reinerate again tho..

-marve hurt

-brohm is more experienced

-brohm is more of a pocket passer

These are the 3 that stand out to me as why brohm is ahead of marve at this point..

- when Marve was not hurt....Marve was outperforming Brohm.

Once again, I'm going to ask the question, when?  When has Marve outperformed Brohm?  In practice?  In preseason?  It's comments like this that make me want to lose it on people.  Practice and preseason mean almost nothing.

Again, I'm not saying Brohm doesn't suck, or that I don't want Marve to play.  I want Marve to play, and I hope he succeeds.  But we haven't seen anything from him to say he is better then Brohm yet.

The rest of your comments I agree with.

Last season?

BROHM, B 2014 WPG 39 70 55.7 454 54 0 0 1 1.43

MARVE, R 2014 WPG 11 22 50 140 42 1 4.6 0   85.4

So you're telling me that you can tell by these stats, that Marve outperformed Brohm last season?  Really?  Looks pretty similar to me, other then Marve running a lot more then Brohm.  With this little amount of playing time behind Marve, we can't really judge if he's better then Brohm.  Again, I hope he is if he ever gets to play because I'm tired of watching Brohm.  But you have no proof yet.  Every time I hear people say "WE NEED TO START MARVE, HE'S BETTER THEN BROHM", all I keep hear is the past few years bouncing back..."we need to play Brink, he's better then Buck", "we need to play Elliott, he's better then Brink", "we need to play Goltz, he's better then Buck/Elliott", etc...  And when they got to play what did we hear from the same people who were screaming and yelling to have them play?  "Get rid of Brink/Elliott/Goltz...he sucks!".

I didn't say his stats were better... I just thought maybe DoD was referring to last season as his basis for the claim that Marve was outperforming Brohm... and you're right, Brohm's stats are a little better... but we all know stats don't tell the whole story...

Its that the coaching staff appears to have both anointed and sustained Brohm as the #2...despite him accomplishing next to nothing, as a Bomber......that has some of our teeth on edge.   Not some pseudo conspiracy....

Maybe the rational posters to a degree yes.. But there is ample reasons listed as to why this is..

-marve hurt

These are the 3 that stand out to me as why brohm is ahead of marve at this point..

Once again, I'm going to ask the question, when?  When has Marve outperformed Brohm?  In practice?  In preseason?  It's comments like this that make me want to lose it on people.  Practice and preseason mean almost nothing.

Again, I'm not saying Brohm doesn't suck, or that I don't want Marve to play.  I want Marve to play, and I hope he succeeds.  But we haven't seen anything from him to say he is better then Brohm yet.

Last season?

So you're telling me that you can tell by these stats, that Marve outperformed Brohm last season?  Really?  Looks pretty similar to me, other then Marve running a lot more then Brohm.  With this little amount of playing time behind Marve, we can't really judge if he's better then Brohm.  Again, I hope he is if he ever gets to play because I'm tired of watching Brohm.  But you have no proof yet.  Every time I hear people say "WE NEED TO START MARVE, HE'S BETTER THEN BROHM", all I keep hear is the past few years bouncing back..."we need to play Brink, he's better then Buck", "we need to play Elliott, he's better then Brink", "we need to play Goltz, he's better then Buck/Elliott", etc...  And when they got to play what did we hear from the same people who were screaming and yelling to have them play?  "Get rid of Brink/Elliott/Goltz...he sucks!".

And the lesson, as always, is that with the Bombers it always CAN get worse.

Sigh.

-marve hurt

Last season?

Please tell us that you went back and re-watched the two games that Marve participated in last year and that you're not just staring blankly at a sheet of numbers?  The reality is that Marve "out performed" both Willy and Brohm in those games in that he made positive things happen, moved the ball, caused no turn-overs and was able to score points when the others could not. 

This does not mean that he is necessarily a better QB than either Willy or Brohm but under Marcel's scripted system they were not finding a way to win those games and their health was being put in serious jeopardy by sitting in a poorly protected pocket.  The object of the game is to find a way to win, not just conform to a failing model that perpetuates losses.  Remember at the time of Marve's appearances the Bombers were mired in a half season losing skid which he ended.  Sometimes you just have to break the mold and start fresh.

Statistics don't tell the full story.   Sometimes you use other advanced evaluation tools..... like the right and left eyeball.

I "see", so far that.....we don't move the ball, when Brohm is in, too many turnovers, and the other players on O look somewhat uninspired.

Also "see....." that Marve actually moves the ball, somewhat....although not in the classic fashion, his style provides a change up.... and Mave does appear to give our other players a bit of a lift..

This "trend" started last year, and continued through the x-season.

That said....Mavre is a walking impro act, at this point, runs at the drop of a hat, and rarely sets his feet to make a throw.   This is why he is a "future" guy, requiring grooming.

Brohm, on the other hand, is a 7 year pro.  Also factoring in his age......he has to be a "now" guy.....or there is no real point to keeping him around.

Up till "now".....Brohm has not gotten it done.  

If this changes, more power to him, and the coaching staff, who clearly believe in him....

If not, the tipping point should come sooner, than later

-marve hurt

Last season?

Brohm is a one-dimensional quarterback who is weak, inaccurate and immobile. You can look at those stats all you want but they don't tell the whole story. Marve played in very unusual situations last year, which makes it tough to draw conclusions from those numbers. As I've mentioned, Marve was able to move the ball just as effectively, if not more effectively than his peers in both of his regular season appearances, which is ultimately what matters. Marve has also looked much better than Brohm in preseason as well as in practice.

Ultimately, Marve has had too few reps to know exactly what he's all about but it is very very very likely that he's a better option than Brohm at this point, who simply does not belong on a professional football field.

Statistics don't tell the full story.   Sometimes you use other advanced evaluation tools..... like the right and left eyeball.

I "see", so far that.....we don't move the ball, when Brohm is in, too many turnovers, and the other players on O look somewhat uninspired.

Also "see....." that Marve actually moves the ball, somewhat....although not in the classic fashion, his style provides a change up.... and Mave does appear to give our other players a bit of a lift..

This "trend" started last year, and continued through the x-season.

That said....Mavre is a walking impro act, at this point, runs at the drop of a hat, and rarely sets his feet to make a throw.   This is why he is a "future" guy, requiring grooming.

Brohm, on the other hand, is a 7 year pro.  Also factoring in his age......he has to be a "now" guy.....or there is no real point to keeping him around.

Up till "now".....Brohm has not gotten it done.  

If this changes, more power to him, and the coaching staff, who clearly believe in him....

If not, the tipping point should come sooner, than later

OMGZORZ, I used teh statz!!ONE111

Seriously.  I just posted those to show how equal they were.  Triple Marve's throws and they almost look identical.  My point was, a lot of you guys act like he's this amazeballs QB that you are so sure is leaps and bounds better then Brohm when you've seen very little play time from him.  Yes, he danced around a lot last year and made a few fancy plays, but that was it.  He only completed 11 passes and ran for 45 yards.  That's hardly anything to be judging a person by when comparing them to anyone else.  I will agree with you that he does seem to give the team a lift.  And I do want to see him out there.  But I think you're being blinded a little by the fact that Brohm has played poorly this year.

Also, I think you're comparing Marve from last year to Brohm from this year, rather then Brohm from last year (FYI my response before was made because Bearpants said last year, so I was talking about Brohm and Marve's stats from last year not Brohm from this year).  I remember Brohm going in when Willy got hurt and he was looking pretty good.  Now what happened from last year to this year makes me wonder wtf happened to the guy.  Cause until he hurt his finger, he was actually looking pretty good out there last year.  Not great considering he's been a QB for 7 years, but pretty good.

I think everyone has valid points and as was mentioned, hopefully we don't get to see either of them play.

The one thing I will add about Marve "making things happen" or "moving the ball" when he has played, I think he's been a little lucky in his small sample size.  I saw a number of throws last year (Calgary game comes to mind) where he threw across his body and back towards the middle of the field that we're narrowly missed by about 2 inches by the defenders.  They were not smart throws and 9 times out of 10 they get picked off, and if 1 or 2 of them had been this wouldn't be much of a debate at all

As well, everyone see that failed 2 point convert a few games ago.... where the ball went backwards as he tried to throw the ball?.  Sure its one play and those things happen but if Brohm did that people would be using that as another example of him sucking...why not then for Marve?

Again, not saying Brohm is better than Marve and Brohm deserves a lot of the grief he is getting.  It's just that Marve has not shown any amount of great quarterbacking in order for him to be seen as any kind of saviour

Wayne and Shuster had a skit where johnny was flying economy, looked into first class it was a high end cocktail party,..

pilot comes on and says "economy passengers please disembark" 

johnny's seatbelt stuck, can't get out of his seat, after a minute the pilot comes on again

and says "first class passengers, the plane will be landing in five minutes please take your seats"

love those guys.

I think morning big blue has discussed Marve v. Brohm more than the Bombers coaching staff.

It's coming to the point where I really dislike both those guys...for no apparent reason, just from all the negativity surrounding the debate.

**(separate note to scouting staff)

Please find us an undisputed up-and-comer-young good QB who will blow the incumbents out of the water.

(Never mind, we'll then just start railing on Willy)

Wayne and Shuster had a skit where johnny was flying economy, looked into first class it was a high end cocktail party,..

pilot comes on and says "economy passengers please disembark" 

johnny's seatbelt stuck, can't get out of his seat, after a minute the pilot comes on again

and says "first class passengers, the plane will be landing in five minutes please take your seats"

love those guys.

Here's one of my favorite skits of all time from W&S:

The sad part is that this was in 1979, and nothing, absolutely nothing, has changed in 36 years in Canadian politics. Since this was during the Pierre Trudeau era,the Liberals (in red tuxes) are in government, and the Conservatives are in the blue tuxes, with the two NDP MP's in hard hats and overalls.

I think morning big blue has discussed Marve v. Brohm more than the Bombers coaching staff.

It's coming to the point where I really dislike both those guys...for no apparent reason, just from all the negativity surrounding the debate.

It is a bit of a change though... for so many years the back up QB was always the most popular guy in the stadium!

It is a bit of a change though... for so many years the back up QB was always the most popular guy in the stadium!

Plus Marve is hot.  Not MBRG hot, but still hot.

Let's table Marve vs. Brohm for now and move on to Wayne vs. Shuster.

I always thought that Shuster was the funnier man. It's way harder to be the setup man than to deliver the puckish punchlines. Shuster had to play within the system, whereas Johnny Wayne got to freelance and ad-lib all the time.

I always thought that Shuster was the funnier man. It's way harder to be the setup man than to deliver the puckish punchlines. Shuster had to play within the system, whereas Johnny Wayne got to freelance and ad-lib all the time.

Puh...no way.  Johnny Wayne all the way.  You are OUT OF YOUR MIND!  I mean what is wrong with you!  I can't talk about this anymore...

...slams door!

I thought it meant that Marve was hurt for 2 weeks and there was only 1 practice this week. So brohm playing actually makes sorta sense if you thought Willy might be more hurt than he was. 2 qbs would be hurt so by default the 1 healthy guy plays? I dunno tho.

Being the straight man is a thankless job and often gets over looked. 

Puh...no way.  Johnny Wayne all the way.  You are OUT OF YOUR MIND!  I mean what is wrong with you!  I can't talk about this anymore...

...slams door!

lol.

forgot about Byner, he was so funny. a bit warped. some of that show was made in the peg.

the only superdave I remember is where he got stuck inside a car that went through a crusher, there was a cube of metal, his voice coming out "hey guys…. can you get me out of here" 

Would Robert Marve have been funnier in those shows than Johnny Wayne? I think so.