Special teams was atrocious

And if you can't get down cuz the opposition is holding you up and taking time away....you take the sideline my friend, when there's only seconds remaining.

And if you can't get down cuz the opposition is holding you up and taking time away....you take the sideline my friend, when there's only seconds remaining.

Please emphasize "closest" sideline!

The blocked punt cost us the game. The Cornish drive cost us the game.  The missed FG cost us the game.  The timecount may have cost us the game.  The int may have cost us the game.  Stoudemire's fumble and stupid running back instead of catching the ball and falling forward may have cost us the game.  It doesn't come down to a missed single if all of those things don't happen too.

Yep - agreed. That tell me in Spades how BAD the Stampeders were. That game was there for the taking and if any of those things listed didn't happen we win that game. That's how bad the bombers can be in Alberta. Even when a team is on a short week, with four of their starting olinemen missing and one playing with one arm, we still lose. If Calgary was healthy and had a full week to prepare.................

Well, Edmonton does. Taking my son to the game - should be an easy win for the 'smos

Don't know if anyone noticed but on the blocked punt we had two blockers in front of the punter. After that there were three on every play. Some teams employ 4 blockers in punt formation.

And the blockers actually did their jobs properly on that kick.  Calgary had one extra and they made him take the longest route.  Hajrullahu bobbled the snap and struggled to get the laces up giving the guy off the edge an extra second.  If he handles that snap like every other one on the night, it's not blocked. 

Don't know if anyone noticed but on the blocked punt we had two blockers in front of the punter. After that there were three on every play. Some teams employ 4 blockers in punt formation.

And the blockers actually did their jobs properly on that kick.  Calgary had one extra and they made him take the longest route.  Hajrullahu bobbled the snap and struggled to get the laces up giving the guy off the edge an extra second.  If he handles that snap like every other one on the night, it's not blocked. 

Not so sure about that...it would have been split second regardless

Lirim is not excused on that blocked punt. He has to be aware of the blockers and the rushers. Lirim doesn't have that "feel" for oncoming rushers. Very few punters do. He spent that split second turning the ball and that was too much time. A hurried bad punt is better than a blocked punt.

Special teams on a whole really was a sore point last night. Looked like a few brain cramps. On the blocked punt Calgary did load there left side and the Bombers did pick it up for the most part but Harjullahu should  have seen this and adjusted by either speeding up the punt with one less step or taken a step to his left. Even a shank punt would of been better. Stoudamire just seems to have great returns when he goes straight up the field, at that point of the game he's decision was wrong. Hopefully they can correct this during practice this so when this stuff happens again they'll be better prepared.  

That fumble really was the turning point. Gave the stamps life and took away momentum from the bombers. The absolute worst part is that it happened right in front of my seats and the coaches were telling him to not **** around and yet he kept running backwards and sideways on every return. Veltung, if Stoudemire keeps playing like that is a better, safer option. The O and D were pretty solid all in all but the special teams blew the game plain and simple

I've watched the replay of the stoudermire fumble and it should have been a no yards penalty on the stamps.

AND...

Was their 1st TD offside??

Couldn't get the video to work.

It is what it is, I guess.

Edited by Mr Dee

Hajrullahu was in the same position as a goalie in hockey. An opposing player can blow past a team's forwards, deke out the defencemen and score, but because the goalie was the last one with a chance to win the game, he gets blamed. With all the screwups, it all falls at the feet of the coach or coaches.

I don't get how fumbles, blocked punts and things like that are on the coaches, to steal a line from chamblin, the one thing that coaches can't do is play. 

It's on the players who screwed up. 

This always blaming coaches after a loss is getting ridiculous. Seriously, so many more topics and ridiculous comments after a loss than after a win. 

After a win this place is dead quiet, after a loss, everyone seems to become ridiculous and don't think big picture.

2-2 after 4 games, we lost to Calgary and Hamilton... things could be a lot worse.. Sometimes, it's best to just step back a bit, realize we are 2-2  and easily could be 3-1 if not  for some brain farts by players.... and just leave it be.

Calling out coaches or things like that after losses just gets so old so quick. It happens after every loss but no praise for them when we win. 

That fumble really was the turning point. Gave the stamps life and took away momentum from the bombers. The absolute worst part is that it happened right in front of my seats and the coaches were telling him to not **** around and yet he kept running backwards and sideways on every return. Veltung, if Stoudemire keeps playing like that is a better, safer option. The O and D were pretty solid all in all but the special teams blew the game plain and simple

This to me was the biggest fault of the game. I actually forgave him on the fumble as he was trying to make a play. That last return though - IMO earns him a ticket of town. His job on that play is to field the ball cleanly and move it up field and get out of bounds. I'm 100% sure those were the specific instructions given to him by our coaches as well. He totally ignored them, taking 10 seconds off the clock and losing 10 yards on the return. Not sure where his head was at in the game but I hope I see Veltung next week here in Edmonton

Lirum is the primary player to blame for the loss. Missed field goal and missed convert. The Bombers would have guaranteed won minus his mistakes. Overall, Bombers outplayed Calgary in offence and defence (defence was actually good. Calgary's points were mainly off turnovers).

I get the feeling that Calgary could struggle this season. They may be 3-1, but IMO, they were lucky all three times. Could make for an interesting battle for placements.

I don't get how fumbles, blocked punts and things like that are on the coaches, to steal a line from chamblin, the one thing that coaches can't do is play. 

It's on the players who screwed up. 

This always blaming coaches after a loss is getting ridiculous. Seriously, so many more topics and ridiculous comments after a loss than after a win. 

After a win this place is dead quiet, after a loss, everyone seems to become ridiculous and don't think big picture.

2-2 after 4 games, we lost to Calgary and Hamilton... things could be a lot worse.. Sometimes, it's best to just step back a bit, realize we are 2-2  and easily could be 3-1 if not  for some brain farts by players.... and just leave it be.

Calling out coaches or things like that after losses just gets so old so quick. It happens after every loss but no praise for them when we win. 

Tracey or Osh HAVE to send Stoudamire out on that last return with specific instructions to get out of bounds or get five yards...  someone has to talk to him before that play - if they did and he ignored them, then bench him.

Last year, same thing happened with Washington, no?

After a win this place is dead quiet,

I don't think so. People were pretty excited at the beginning of the season, hoping new players would work out…. pretty happy after the wins, lots of optimistic remarks from a lot of people.Maybe some people stay away after a win, but most don't.

if they did and he ignored them, then bench him.

we know they did cause 17 to 85 was there. I agree, disregarding coaches, got to do something. Can't let that slide. in anything, not just football.

Hajrullahu was in the same position as a goalie in hockey. An opposing player can blow past a team's forwards, deke out the defencemen and score, but because the goalie was the last one with a chance to win the game, he gets blamed. With all the screwups, it all falls at the feet of the coach or coaches.

On the last FG sure, but missing that convert after the offense puts 6 on the board to respond to Calgary's only big drive of the game is unforgivable.  That is his fault, and only his.

On the last FG sure, but missing that convert after the offense puts 6 on the board to respond to Calgary's only big drive of the game is unforgivable.  That is his fault, and only his.

No one seems to be calling out Paredes for missing a convert...

I was going to bring that up. So the refs blow it and call the Paredes convert good when it clearly missed, so thankfully it gets taken back by the Command Center on review and now it's 16-15 Bombers. Then on the next play, Paredes kicks it off and the ball goes over Stouds head and is rolling quickly out of the back of the end zone. Instead of just letting it roll out, Stouds picks it up and walks out the back of the end zone, thus conceding a single point, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. If he had just let the ball roll out on its own, no point. I get that LH missing the convert was big, but if Stouds had just let the ball roll out on that kick-off, Calgary wouldn't have gotten a point. It was just stupid. I was yelling at the TV "NO!!!!" when he picked it up two yards from the end line as it was rolling out. My father in law, the Lions fan, who never misses a chance to rub it in, said "Winnipeg coaches need to tell their kick returners about the rules on kick-offs. Clearly that guy doesn't get it." I just sighed. Something I've become very good at over the years.

Stouds just committed too many stupid mistakes in that game. Veltung has my vote as the kick returner going forward.

I don't care about Paredes, I care about the Bombers.

I was going to bring that up. So the refs blow it and call the Paredes convert good when it clearly missed, so thankfully it gets taken back by the Command Center on review and now it's 16-15 Bombers. Then on the next play, Paredes kicks it off and the ball goes over Stouds head and is rolling quickly out of the back of the end zone. Instead of just letting it roll out, Stouds picks it up and walks out the back of the end zone, thus conceding a single point, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. If he had just let the ball roll out on its own, no point. I get that LH missing the convert was big, but if Stouds had just let the ball roll out on that kick-off, Calgary wouldn't have gotten a point. It was just stupid. I was yelling at the TV "NO!!!!" when he picked it up two yards from the end line as it was rolling out. My father in law, the Lions fan, who never misses a chance to rub it in, said "Winnipeg coaches need to tell their kick returners about the rules on kick-offs. Clearly that guy doesn't get it." I just sighed. Something I've become very good at over the years.

Stouds just committed too many stupid mistakes in that game. Veltung has my vote as the kick returner going forward.

Stoudermire had already touched the ball trying to catch it around the Bombers 6 yard line.  He shouldn't have tried to catch that kickoff at all.