At what point will O'Shea start going for 2?

Mike

I'm all for the 2 point try, but with Willy and not Marve making the plays. At least offers the illusion that we might throw the ball.

I disagree... I think the pass is very much in play with Marve... having Willy makes it 2-dimensional: pass or hand-off... Marve makes it 3-dimensional: hand-off, QB run or pass 

I'm all for the 2 point try, but with Willy and not Marve making the plays. At least offers the illusion that we might throw the ball.

I disagree... I think the pass is very much in play with Marve... having Willy makes it 2-dimensional: pass or hand-off... Marve makes it 3-dimensional: hand-off, QB run or pass

In theory, sure. But in actuality when Marve has come in the overwhelmingly dominant play is QB cut left or right and try to dive between the guard and the tackle. After that has failed 2 or 3 times it has been hand-off to Marshall. Pass is never his first option (which kind of defeats the purpose of calling him a QB). Even his one attempted pass this year in that scenario was out of a run play on a sprint to the corner goal line which got shut off, and the pass itself?.......Yikes!

Far too predictable at this point, and has been that way since the start of last season. Not sure if it a play-calling issue (they don't like the pass game down close) or a personnel issue (either the team or Marve doesn't like/trust his passing ability in that situation, or he and they know he'll abandon his progressions and just look to run at first instance), but Marve has consistently shown he is more comfortable with his feet than with his arm at QB in any situation, much less short yardage, where there have been no surprises as to what play is coming. And other teams appear to be catching on this year.

On the contrary that eliminates the QB sprint to the corner.  You can't lump Marve in with Goltz that easily.

For all of Goltz's faults... he was actually pretty money in the redzone (just couldn't actually get the ball into the redzone)

In theory, sure. But in actuality when Marve has come in the overwhelmingly dominant play is QB cut left or right and try to dive between the guard and the tackle. After that has failed 2 or 3 times it has been hand-off to Marshall. Pass is never his first option (which kind of defeats the purpose of calling him a QB). Even his one attempted pass this year in that scenario was out of a run play on a sprint to the corner goal line which got shut off, and the pass itself?.......Yikes!

Far too predictable at this point, and has been that way since the start of last season. Not sure if it a play-calling issue (they don't like the pass game down close) or a personnel issue (either the team or Marve doesn't like/trust his passing ability in that situation, or he and they know he'll abandon his progressions and just look to run at first instance), but Marve has consistently shown he is more comfortable with his feet than with his arm at QB in any situation, much less short yardage, where there have been no surprises as to what play is coming. And other teams appear to be catching on this year.

I agree that pass isn't the first (or best) option with Marve... but teams have to respect that he can throw... at the very least it should create more options for the D to consider...

I agree that pass isn't the first (or best) option with Marve... but teams have to respect that he can throw... at the very least it should create more options for the D to consider...

Not until he starts doing it, they don't.

On the contrary that eliminates the QB sprint to the corner.  You can't lump Marve in with Goltz that easily.

For all of Goltz's faults... he was actually pretty money in the redzone (just couldn't actually get the ball into the redzone)

yeah red zone TD's and standing around in the background in commercials seems to be his thing.

Not until he starts doing it, they don't.

True... I guess part of my assumption is that he will throw if the play breaks down... I'm not sure if the coaching staff is going to call the passing play though... 

Ummm....isn't that an oxymoron, like military intelligence or feminine logic?

I think he meant that, when they were in the red zone, he could run it in for a TD, but he couldn't throw a TD pass to save his life.

OH, you're goin' to hell for that one!

I prefer "pretty ugly" or "Rider pride".

I think he meant that, when they were in the red zone, he could run it in for a TD, but he couldn't throw a TD pass to save his life.

How dare you drag common sense into this forum.

On the contrary that eliminates the QB sprint to the corner. You can't lump Marve in with Goltz that easily.

OH, you're goin' to hell for that one!

I prefer "pretty ugly" or "Rider pride".

Jumbo shrimp

Scottish generosity