How does everybody feel about this "coverage"

Mike

Lazy and and a sense of entitlement.....have had better and more incisive reporting....from some posters on this site.

Good reporters do not need to be spoon fed stuff from the coach, or wait until something thrown up...finally sticks to the wall. Or worry about being just another lame Twitter clown...

They follow the team closely, they observe, they analyze, and with any luck..... communicate actual, relevant information, to the fans, with a modicum of wit or style.

Of course, that is simply.....asking the moon, from this crew.

The best sports writers in the country don't cover the CFL. Why would you expect the best from the B Team?

How many of the best sportswriters in the country live in Winnipeg?

Kirk Penton won CFL reporter of the year last year.

Irving is an old school guy who will continue to do things the way he always has, until he calls his last game.

Irving isn't even doing things the way he was last year at this point. His level of coverage has dropped off significantly.

Bob is still great at PBP (IMO)... but as far as reporting, I think he has basically packed it in...

The best of Bob's work can be found on the 2 hour CJOB pre-game show where he and Kelly Moore do more in depth interviews with the players and provide information on their football and family backgrounds and how they came to be Bombers.  I imagine this and the play calling is the focus of Bob's work week.

In regard to the information the other reporters are providing, it is usually just regurgitated from the semi-daily press-conferences the Bombers hold and for the average fan that summary suffices.  Without access to the locker room, players or coaches the reporters really don't have any advantages over the ardent fans on sites such as this. 

Part of the concern is that they don't want to give away too much "free" content. They still try to make money from the actual paper they produce. Until their respective media outlets finds a way to monetize their tweets, there's going to be some concern over giving away their reporting for free...

I could appreciate this if their columns also weren't complete ****. But that might be more my opinion than anything.

The whole business model is complete crap and because they refuse to change to fill a need, they're going to go extinct.

For instance, their writers hold much more access and availability than the common fan and so you would think this would give them an edge in writing articles. With such an advantage, they should be the ones expected to put out the highest quality work. What's happening at practice? Recent developments to keep an eye on? If you want people to pay for something, provide something of value.

Instead, we get the same articles behind a pay wall. Nobody is going to pay for that, certainly not most of the <50 year old crowd.

Lazy and and a sense of entitlement.....have had better and more incisive reporting....from some posters on this site.

Good reporters do not need to be spoon fed stuff from the coach, or wait until something thrown up...finally sticks to the wall. Or worry about being just another lame Twitter clown...

They follow the team closely, they observe, they analyze, and with any luck..... communicate actual, relevant information, to the fans, with a modicum of wit or style.

The best sports writers in the country don't cover the CFL. Why would you expect the best from the B Team?

How many of the best sportswriters in the country live in Winnipeg?

Kirk Penton won CFL reporter of the year last year.

Yes, but read Atomic's post above...

You are pretty quick to criticize the club and coaches but happy to give the media a pass.

The best athletes in the country don't play in the CFL. Why would you expect the best from B players and coaches?

You say that like I'm always critical of the club and coaches which could not be further from the truth. I am quick to defend the Bombers when I believe they are in the right and quick to criticize when I believe they are in the wrong. And I treat the media the same way.

Honestly these were a couple tongue in cheek tweets from guys when there's not much going on. There has been OK coverage of the Bombers this year. They tell us the facts. I wouldn't trust their opinion on anything more than that. I've long been an advocate of local news outlets employing a former coach, player, or scout to write more detailed football analysis articles. The guys we have are here to write fluff pieces and to be honest that's what's the average fan is looking for.

I know tweets like this get the hardcore fans riled up but they're only joking. We all know who Paul Friesen is and what he's all about.

The entitlement they show in those tweets is concerning. If they were committed to doing their job well, not just the tweets would be different, but they would actually want to watch practice. Like many, I have been disappointed with coverage for a long time, but on reflection have noticed it has hit a new low this year. Filler is a good term. If only they gave a press pass to someone knowledgeable from this site there could be some really good info out there. As it is, the site is usually better for information than the papers. So I guess that's the positive side of having horrible media coverage.

I also wonder where the weak link(s) are between the club, media and fans. I think O'Shea might believe in controlling the message to the degree Mike Kelly did, but he's able to control his emotions better. I can't stand how dull interviews with O'Shea are. Doesn't give anything to add interest to the team. If that ends in results on the field I guess that's the goal though. But its hard when fans are not even allowed to know information about injuries. I believe the press is frustrated with the team too, but they should still at least try to do their job.

There is a difference between reporting nothing (ie. not tweeting at all)

And reporting that you are doing nothing.

exactly! Its insulting to the readership and the football fans equally really.. Does us following him mean that little that he essentially dismisses a crutial part of his profession so easily?

I mean i dont really understand why he would even bother twitting something so... useless. irving too to be honest..

The entitlement they show in those tweets is concerning. If they were committed to doing their job well, not just the tweets would be different, but they would actually want to watch practice. Like many, I have been disappointed with coverage for a long time, but on reflection have noticed it has hit a new low this year. Filler is a good term. If only they gave a press pass to someone knowledgeable from this site there could be some really good info out there. As it is, the site is usually better for information than the papers. So I guess that's the positive side of having horrible media coverage.

I also wonder where the weak link(s) are between the club, media and fans. I think O'Shea might believe in controlling the message to the degree Mike Kelly did, but he's able to control his emotions better. I can't stand how dull interviews with O'Shea are. Doesn't give anything to add interest to the team. If that ends in results on the field I guess that's the goal though. But its hard when fans are not even allowed to know information about injuries. I believe the press is frustrated with the team too, but they should still at least try to do their job.

The media is the weak link, particularly the columnists.  They get mad at any coach who doesn't nod and agree with the narrative they've built their column around before they even do the legwork, complete with a quote that fits just right.  Same goes for the Jets.  They are lazy as all hell.  The Coaches Show with O'Shea is among the best we've had.  If he gets a good question related to football, not bait for the soap opera, he'll give an honest and solid answer.  Even after the cuts he was discussing what they saw in guys they kept, specifics and things they didn't see from guys who were cut.  I enjoy listening to him on 1290 as well when he calls in for those interviews, they generally ask good questions.