Rate Danny McManus's Scouting at this point

BigBlue

The Quality of Our New International Players  

48 members have voted

1. 1. At this point in time (not after the Grey Cup) compared to the other 8 teams, how will did we do recruiting International rookies?

• Very well
    • Above aqverage
    • Neither great nor poorly (average)
    • Ho-Hum (below average)
    • Only fair (failing really)
    • Other, please explain

Who cares what Mack did or didn't do? It's ancient history!

It's worth comparing this regime to the regime they are replacing. A lot of people seem to like to give Walters a pass because he talks a lot about the importance of the draft and makes a splash in free agency but this team has holes on it that he needs to be able to fill through his recruiting. 

Walters has done well with dbs and rbs but the LB and DL he's been terrible. Receivers he hasn't found a starter and has relied on CFL free agents. Guy needs to step up his game. Mack found dbs and rbs too, but he also found DL and LB and receivers. 

Is this to mean that you don't like the 4 guys on the DL right now or that you're upset that Walters hasn't replaced the three guys left over from Mack? Same with LBs are you not happy with the guys you have? It's a different defense than what they ran when LaPolice was in charge, more of a 4-2 front with a hybrid of Dime defense with Randle playing as a rover at times.

I don't mean to single out just you 17to85 but would like to know what parts of the roster folks don't like here. 

You'd think it'd be happier around here with the Bombers holding down first place in the West, having a 1-0 record in the division and beat Saskatchewan once already this year. Plus you could still have this roster - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Winnipeg_Blue_Bombers_season#Roster

Walters has done well with dbs and rbs but the LB and DL he's been terrible. Receivers he hasn't found a starter and has relied on CFL free agents. Guy needs to step up his game. Mack found dbs and rbs too, but he also found DL and LB and receivers.

Is this to mean that you don't like the 4 guys on the DL right now or that you're upset that Walters hasn't replaced the three guys left over from Mack? Same with LBs are you not happy with the guys you have? It's a different defense than what they ran when LaPolice was in charge, more of a 4-2 front with a hybrid of Dime defense with Randle playing as a rover at times.

I don't mean to single out just you 17to85 but would like to know what parts of the roster folks don't like here. 

You'd think it'd be happier around here with the Bombers holding down first place in the West, having a 1-0 record in the division and beat Saskatchewan once already this year. Plus you could still have this roster - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Winnipeg_Blue_Bombers_season#Roster

Ew, why did you make me look at that lineup? That's unbelievable.

It means the DL we have right now is not playing well, as a group and as individuals.  Walters regime has not found a productive pass rusher in 2.5 seasons.  Our interior guys are also struggling mightily through 3 games.  

They were running a 5-2 quite often last night and still getting gashed by the Alouettes run game.  It was brutal.  We were lucky that Montreal didn't stick with the run game, they could have 6 yards whenever they wanted.

I guess you're analyzing this in terms of quantity, Mack vs Walters, still apples to oranges given how rosters change, but we're talking quality, what's actually happening on the field.

I don't like it when Peach is the best player on the defensive line and I've said that for a long time. He's a depth guy but if he's your best you are in trouble. So yes I expect a CFL GM should be able to find an end that is better than Peach. Walters hasn't done that yet. The tackles are struggling this year too, if they're not playing well why don't we have someone who can step in and up the play of the line? The linebackers have been lacking as well. We lost Ian Wild in the offseason and he has not been even close to replaced. 

I'm thrilled that they are 2-1 on the year, absolutely pleased, but when your defense is struggling as much as the Bombers is this year you are playing with fire. 

I don't like it when Peach is the best player on the defensive line and I've said that for a long time. He's a depth guy but if he's your best you are in trouble. So yes I expect a CFL GM should be able to find an end that is better than Peach. Walters hasn't done that yet. The tackles are struggling this year too, if they're not playing well why don't we have someone who can step in and up the play of the line? The linebackers have been lacking as well. We lost Ian Wild in the offseason and he has not been even close to replaced. 

I'm thrilled that they are 2-1 on the year, absolutely pleased, but when your defense is struggling as much as the Bombers is this year you are playing with fire. 

I suspect many decent LB's were flushed away during TC because they had already decided prior to camp that Hurl was going to be their MLB.  They could have at least stashed one of those guys on the PR.

I certainly hope that if the coaches saw another MLB prospect in camp who was head and shoulders better than Hurl, they would have kept him and figured what to do with Hurl later. Maybe its too soon to judge Hurl until we get a couple of carnivorous tackles in front of him and the OLBs learn to read plays coming at them soon enough to turn the play back.

I agree that Mack's regime was much better than Walters at scouting. Macks regime was awful for the simple fact of him being terrible at what was most important for CFL rosters. He was terrible at Offensive lines, Drafting, finding a QB and hiring coaches. But he brought in guys every year that would legitimately compete everywhere as far as Americans go.

Walters hired a great coach, is decent at drafting and found a QB.... but he cant seem to find young Americans to save his life.

Mack brought in Clarence Denmark, Bryant Turner and at the time Zach Anderson was quite good.... Ian Wild, Chris Garrett, Chad Simpson, Chris Matthews, Alex Suber Demond Washington, Alex Hall.... That's just a few off the top of my head.

Walters found us Cotton, Marshall, Leggett, Johnson, and Adams. However, like I said he's very good at the more important aspects of building a roster in the CFL which explains why we're a much better team....

But if he wants to be able to sustain what he's building he has to get better at recruiting.... We can't just keep buying American OT's and receivers in FA and expect to be able to sustain that in a cap league when we have to keep giving guys raises every year.

Walters has found a decent list of players, I'd say.

Cotton, Marshall, Leggett, Johnson, Adams, Bass, Veltung, Daniels, Marve, Fraser ... all great to decent additions by Walters, but his glaring weakness is that he can't seem to find any receivers, middle linebackers or pass rushers.

Walters has found a decent list of players, I'd say.

Cotton, Marshall, Leggett, Johnson, Adams, Bass, Veltung, Daniels, Marve, Fraser ... all great to decent additions by Walters, but his glaring weakness is that he can't seem to find any receivers, middle linebackers or pass rusher

What was the LB name that came in late last year and played really well for us. But asked to be released to go play for the cowboys?

Our import scouting has been a little spotty to be sure. LBing, Receiving, DL, have all been areas of weakness for McManus. He has excelled at finding us KRs, DBs, etc. This is pretty normal. From scout to scout they are all going to have positions that they are better at finding players at then others, I think that Walters has done a nice job of recognizing and offsetting problem areas of recruitment through the use of FA. It would be nice if we could unearth a Chris Matthews every year but if we can't I like that our GM will go out and get a Nick Moore. This team still has some holes, and has potentially missed some opportunities to fill a couple of them....but I believe that Walters will sort them out during the season. Recruitment is only one phase of team building. That was Mack's down fall, and one I am not seeing with Walters so far.