Odds and Sods - Game 1 - Bombers at Riders

before getting hurt, Demski looked outstanding. Hope he's ok.

Would have been nice to see our Canadians do a bit more on offence. 

Marcel is obviously a lot better offensive coordinator than some people have been saying. 

I thought the offensive play calling was fantastic. 

The players played well, but, he was calling the plays. And ( I hope) it Looks like Marcel and Drew have made a solid connection.

Any opinions on the blocking by the receivers? I thought Cotton was making most of his yardage after the line of scrimmage on his own.

just read

". Middle linebacker Shea Emry left with a suspected concussion"   - See more at: http://blogs.leaderpost.com/2015/06/28/murrays-musings-on-saturdays-30-26-loss-to-the-blue-bombers/#sthash.gyYegciH.dpuf

Pontbriand did some great blocking on those runs, Nick Moore not so much.  Clarence tried once and caught a flag.

Article 3 — Safety Touch

A safety touch is scored when the ball becomes dead in the possession of a team in its own Goal Area, or touches or crosses the Dead Line or a Sideline in Goal as a result of the ball having been carried, kicked, fumbled or otherwise directed from the Field of Play into the Goal Area by the team scored against, or as a direct result of a kick from scrimmage having been blocked in the Field of Play or Goal Area.

We should ask Kerry Fraser.

In reference to that momentum thing, it could actually be real.

Something about if, in the opinion of the ref, it wasn't a conscious decision to enter the end zone, but rather the momentum of the kicked ball that carries him thru and out of bounds, then it is not a safety.

It should be checked however..as it is a safety issue.

I found this.

AR: Team A kicks to Team B. B1 catches the ball in the Field of Play while moving towards own Goal Line and, in the judgment of the official, the momentum carries B1 into own Goal Area. RULING — Rouge (possession deemed to have been gained in the Goal Area).

Yeah, while kinda dumb, I could see how this was applied to the Demski catch.  He didn't consciously catch the ball and run into his end zone, which is what a safety is really all about.  That being said, had that been a Winnipeg player doing the exact same thing, like Veltung, I could see the Riders getting a safety, as the Bombers always seem to be on the wrong end of the grey area penalty/judgement calls.

I found this.

AR: Team A kicks to Team B. B1 catches the ball in the Field of Play while moving towards own Goal Line and, in the judgment of the official, the momentum carries B1 into own Goal Area. RULING — Rouge (possession deemed to have been gained in the Goal Area).

Yeah, while kinda dumb, I could see how this was applied to the Demski catch.  He didn't consciously catch the ball and run into his end zone, which is what a safety is really all about.  That being said, had that been a Winnipeg player doing the exact same thing, like Veltung, I could see the Riders getting a safety, as the Bombers always seem to be on the wrong end of the grey area penalty/judgement calls.

I found this.

I guess O'Shea could not have challenged that play even if he wanted but that one pt. could have been critical in a tight game.

Super happy Cotton finally got his chance to shine, I've been a big fan since TC last year and it's taken him awhile to get established.  He is very quick and shifty but he also has the unique skill of being able to play peek-a-boo hiding behind his blockers so that defenders have difficulty locating him.  Can't recall any RB since Charlie Roberts that used stealth as well as he does. 

I think Cotton's weakness may be his top speed as he does not seem to be able to outrun defenders when running horizontally trying to get to the outside.  He had a couple of those plays early on were he was caught in the backfield before they started running him vertically through the gaps.  Demski looks to have superior speed (longer legs) and he turned a similar play that looked like a loss into a beautiful 32 yd. gain.

Super happy Cotton finally got his chance to shine, I've been a big fan since TC last year and it's taken him awhile to get established. He is very quick and shifty but he also has the unique skill of being able to play peek-a-boo hiding behind his blockers so that defenders can not locate him. Can't recall any RB since Charlie Roberts that used stealth as well as he does.

I think Cotton's weakness may be his top speed as he does not seem to be able to outrun defenders when running horizontally trying to get to the outside. He had a couple of those plays early on were he was caught in the backfield before they started running him vertically through the gaps. Demski looks to have superior speed (longer legs) and he turned a similar play that looked like a loss into a beautiful 32 yd. gain.

Nice analysis of Paris Cotton.

Not to be a downer but remember this was just one game against one of the weaker defenses in the league....

I wouldn't say MB is a great coordinater just yet considering he's had years of mediocrity before...

Going into the game they were considered one of the better defenses in the league.

All pre season I heard was how they lost lots of talent and were thin on depth. The d line is good but the rest for them are average at best.

Marcel is obviously a lot better offensive coordinator than some people have been saying. 

The players played well, but, he was calling the plays. And ( I hope) it Looks like Marcel and Drew have made a solid connection.

Any opinions on the blocking by the receivers? I thought Cotton was making most of his yardage after the line of scrimmage on his own.

just read

". Middle linebacker Shea Emry left with a suspected concussion"   - See more at: http://blogs.leaderpost.com/2015/06/28/murrays-musings-on-saturdays-30-26-loss-to-the-blue-bombers/#sthash.gyYegciH.dpuf

Nick Moore made a great block for Marshall on the 2-pointer. And yes, once Cotton penetrated the LOS he was shedding tackles. Lots of complaints in Riderville about sloppy tackling by their D. But Cotton helped himself too - runs hard and he's very able at changing direction.

I found this.

I found this.

I guess O'Shea could not have challenged that play even if he wanted but that one pt. could have been critical in a tight game.

What was more critical was that if it had been a safety, the Riders would have had to kick off. Instead they got the ball and a few plays later scored a TD. Should not have happened.

just read

Nick Moore made a great block for Marshall on the 2-pointer. And yes, once Cotton penetrated the LOS he was shedding tackles. Lots of complaints in Riderville about sloppy tackling by their D. But Cotton helped himself too - runs hard and he's very able at changing direction.

Sounds like a good way for Moore to re-injure himself.  I'd be happy if he and Denmark just flap their arms and make seagull noises to distract the villains.