2015 NHL Free Agency

Rich

Free agents? Claude Noel joins the NJ Devils as pro scout.

Very interesting as I believe it was reported that Noel left the Giants to pursue pro opportunities.  Guess there was no coaching jobs offered to him.

He is going to be turning 60 this year.  Wonder if he is just getting too old to connect to the younger players.

Free agents? Claude Noel joins the NJ Devils as pro scout.

Very interesting as I believe it was reported that Noel left the Giants to pursue pro opportunities.  Guess there was no coaching jobs offered to him.

He is going to be turning 60 this year.  Wonder if he is just getting too old to connect to the younger players.

I'm sure those 70's hockey stories translated well :P

Wonder why Chevy never re-signed Santorelli... seemed okay to me

Yeah never understood that either. If you're good in overtime shootouts chances are you got the talent for a regular shift.

On the other hand he;s on a new team every year it seems.

More than one team per year really. Must be something the coaches don't like about his game.

There is a little rumor going around that the Jets and Ladd have agreed to a contract extension and it will be announced when he is back in Winnipeg around August 25th for a charity golf tournament.. some rumors suggest 7 years 49 million. Take it for what it's worth tho.. same people are saying they aren't close with Buff and it's very likely he will be moved prior to the start of the season. 

There is a little rumor going around that the Jets and Ladd have agreed to a contract extension and it will be announced when he is back in Winnipeg around August 25th for a charity golf tournament.. some rumors suggest 7 years 49 million. Take it for what it's worth tho.. same people are saying they aren't close with Buff and it's very likely he will be moved prior to the start of the season. 

Please no...  

7 years is too long for him to be making 7 million.  He will be 30 when that contract kicks in.

More than I really want to pay, but could stomach it for 4 years because we have the cap space to afford it (at least for the first half of it).  Paying him that much when he is 35+ is not good.

6 or 7 years is what I've been told.  Ladd is a top LW in the game, He's very under rated by some people it seems. Who knows what the contract will break down to look like tho. Just saying don't be surprised if it's for big money. Guy was on a pretty sweetheart deal of 4.4 million a year currently. He's gonna get a raise, The term is guaranteed to be 6 or 7 years. 

This is a pretty good breakdown of Ladd and how he compares to similar players from the Illegal Curve guys.

http://illegalcurve.com/2015/07/06/what-is-the-fair-market-value-of-jets-captain-andrew-ladd/

Their comparable players:

Ladd-chart-7.jpg

Parise's and Spezza's contracts take them to a similar age to what a 7 year deal would for Ladd, so $7M is probably in the range.   I just wonder how happy those teams are going to be playing those players that salary when they are in their mid 30s.

Their suggested salary is:

$7.0 million per season on a four-year term

$6.75 million per season on a five-term term

$6.5 million per season on a six-year term and

$6.25 million per season on a seven-year term.

It depends how the cash is broken down too.  If Im the Jets I front load it as much as possible.  Sure, the cap hit stays constant, but like Myers, the team will see a significant cash savings in later years when the cap will surely rise giving the team more money to spend.

Ladd is generally under-rated.  I'd prefer $44M-$46M on 7 years but if it takes $7 per, so be it.  He's the Captain.  He's also the type of player that will likely contribute as he ages.  If he ages out as a contributed 3rd LW who sets an example and his cash per year is much lower compared to the cap hit, then it's probably a win.

And if the idea is to trade Buff, Im all for it as long as we get a significant return.  I would suspect the Jets would be looking at a mid-six winger, depth D and significant prospect.  Something to help now and something to help later.

For the life of me, just don't get not even talking to Buff's agent. What does a lack of communication accomplish? Can we assume then that the Jets know exactly where he stands & that trade scenarios have been looked at all summer?  'Cuz if not, what the heck are we doing this offseason?