2015 NHL Free Agency

Rich

Chipman was on 1290 and said both Buff and Ladd had expressed "strong" desire to stay here.

So did Frolik.

He also reiterated rhe Jets draft and develop model.

Is there a team in the league that does not draft and develop?

Being anal aside, this is the owner of the team making remarks about the team.  It has merit.  I dont believe Chipman is a liar so lets assume both players want to play here.  Had one player, say Buff, expressed a desire to get paid or else, I doubt Chipman would have said what he did.

Part of the Jets' draft & develop mantra is the idea they are not going to spend an infinite amount of money.  So when he says that it's an acknowledgment of the potential in choosing to get younger over getting better.

Don't think Chipman was bs'ing but... i don't think he was telling the entire truth either. Fact is if let's just say they decided that they weren't gonna sign Buff, Chipman wouldn't come out and say we are shopping him, he'd say exactly what he said really... he's expressed interest in staying... for sure tho right, i mean what kind of interest? 8 million a year type of interest or maybe 3 years at 6.5 million type of interest or maybe none at all really... Chipman isn't gonna come out and say we are shopping him... because if he did, the return wouldn't be as much... I tend to believe that if Buff is interested in a short team 3 4 year deal, yeah he might get signed but i think if he wants anything longer, they will trade him. Personally, I'd love to see him signed to a short term deal but... realistically, i'm not sure thats a real option. 

I agree that they have an internal plan.  He was quite clear in saying they have forecasted budget and where they think everyone will be years out.  So they know where they want Buff and for what price if they do want him,.

The fact they made Ladd the priority and, reportedly, have not even had discussions with Buff tells me they arent sure they can get Ladd for what they want to and need to get him locked before even focusing on Buff.  Im sure they have an internal number where they would keep him and Im sure they have an idea of what Buff wants and I bet both sides say there is wiggle room but how much is the question.  What Ladd gets determines how much wiggle room there is for Buff.

Im sure they'd love to keep him for 1-2 years as a transition to their younger D but thats very unlikely to happen.  So they have to decide if having him for 4-6 years is worth it at a price he wants.

Personally, I dont think he fits.  Theyve replaced him in Myers.  Trouba is arguably better in the sense he's more consistent right now, though not the same at the high end.  And ofcourse, losing him isnt just losing him, its saving money and getting something in return.

I just cannot fathom they roll the dice and wait til the deadline.  If Jets are a bubble team and they trade him for prospects and we miss the playoffs, its going to be all about how they blew it with Buff.  If they keep him and Jets miss or first round elimination again, same story.  They have to take control of the narrative and that means signing him or trading him.  They could wait til Christmas at the most.

Sign Buff. Unless it's a real outlandish deal, a trade down the road isn't out of the question anyways. Besides you'd think he has more value to another club with term left, rather than a pending UFA at season's end.

Im not sure about that.

He probably had more value at the draft when teams had all summer to make moves.  Now, the best window is the deadline.  Unfortunately, that could be a very bad time for the Jets.  If the Jets are on the bubble and keep Buff and lose him for nothing, that will be a huge knock against Chevy.  This isnt Frolik.  Chevy might have let his opportunity slip away.

But with the cap, Buff might be valuable to a team wanting to make a run with limited commitments.  Generally, even an expiring contract, the team taking him has an inside track.  And Buff doesnt seem like a guy who wont be open to signing places.  A long term commitment can scare teams away too. 

I do agree, if Buff signs for 4 years max at $6-$7, its probably doable.  Then we flip him to LHD and hope he doesnt sulk.

Interesting how old the Jets actually are.... bunch of 29-30 year olds - then a gap and the new prospects... says a lot about Thrasher's drafting - sure feels like we're about 3-4years away from a real Cup run

Trade Buff at the deadline.

It's not terrible though. On one hand sure we could have no Ladd, little, wheeler, buff and be drafting top three for years. But we have two "cores". It's why the jets are competitive now and should be competitive for the next 15 years. Hopefully....

Interesting how old the Jets actually are.... bunch of 29-30 year olds - then a gap and the new prospects... says a lot about Thrasher's drafting - sure feels like we're about 3-4years away from a real Cup run

Trade Buff at the deadline.

Trading a UFA at the deadline? I've tried that but it falls on deaf ears around here.

The Thrashers traded away their futures and the Jets are just starting to come out of that fiasco.

That Tkachuk deal was bad was it not?. They could have made the playoffs without him that year IMHO.

It would also be a failure to give him a long term deal at big money and see him suck in 5 years tho. Tough spot

Is Buff back in town? Like to see what kind of shape he's in. 2014 or 2011.