2015 NHL Free Agency

Rich

52 points for a 40 year old player ain't so bad. Guy obviously had skills, probably decided that it's not worth his time to come back another year and play for less than what he made this past year. I think St Louis was probably a guy who didn't get as many (if he got any all) offers and the ones he did  get (if he did get them even) were for way cheap. 

Demanded a trade to NEW York only so really if the Rangers,Islanders and even Devils had no interest (not sure any of them would have) then yup, makes sense as to why he would retire instead of maybe take a deal elsewhere. 

I'm not convinced that St Louis had many if any teams wanting him tho, 40 years old. Good Career tho but man, what a brutal way to end it really... Always thought he was a classy player on and off the ice but the demanding of the trade and then the whole issue with  Team Canada there (which lead to his demanding of a trade really) were definitely some low moments for St Louis. 

I look at St Louis and i see a good reason why the NHL should probably make No trade Clauses and things of this nature a thing of the past, he really did kind of put Tampa in a tough spot, they got lucky cuz Callahan but... These guys are making millions upon millions of dollars and are saying " i only want to be traded here". That's ridiculous, that and guaranteed contracts are 2 things i would love to see the owners get rid of next lockout, even if it means missing a season, and there will be another lockout for sure... salarys are getting out of control again.. Not for a while but there will be one again. 

Last thing I'll say about Frolik cuz i was pretty convinced he was gone the second he could be, Losing Frolik in my opinion, it might hurt us in the short term, then again it might not but in the long term, This team is built around the kids really plus a few vets like Ladd,Little,Wheeler but for the most part... it's all about the kids, draft and develop from day 1, we got frolik for next to nothing, we lost him for nothing.. it is what it is, the writing was on the wall when he signed a 1 year deal last season... it was obvious he was gone then.. .guaranteed if we weren't fighting for a playoff spot he would have been sent packing last season near the deadline but we were so... you win some, you lose some really and we move on with the youth movement really that has been happening since day 1 of the Jets rebirth really. 

Was Frolik a good player? for sure, was he the difference between contending and pretending? Nope not at all, on a good team he's a 3rd line winger really... Maybe some Jets fans think he's better than he actually is but... reality is, he's a good 3rd line winger on a good team and a PK guy... If he's in your top 6, you probably aren't gonna be going very far... 

With all that being said tho... if his wife wanted to leave then so be it, what can you do.. Is it too cold here for her? Boo Hoo really... not enough to do? I want players on this team who want to be here not because there wife said its ok but because they want to be here.. I want guys like Little,Wheeler,Ladd etc, Perreault who have all signed new deals since the rebirth of the Jets, People totally forget that Ladd signed a new deal with us in 2011 don't they? 

Another FA off the market:

Frank Seravalli         @frank_seravalli

Marty St. Louis has announced his retirement at the age of 40. The 2004 Hart Trophy winner had 52 points in 74 games last season. #TSN

That Callahan trade was a steal for the Lightning.  Wow.

Both teams got to Cup last 2 years. Rangers final 4 both years.

Callahan is also not even close to 40 and signed a new deal with tampa last year. 

Yes, not only did Tampa acquire a leader/character guy in Callahan, they also acquired two late first round picks from the Rangers (the Rangers received Tampa's 2015 second rounder when Callahan re-signed with Tampa) which they then converted into three second-round picks and one third round pick.  In 2014 they traded their first round pick from NYR to the Islanders for the Islander's two second round picks, and then in 2015 they DID IT AGAIN and traded their first round pick from the Rangers to the Islanders for the Islander's second-round and third round picks.  Weird that the Islanders would do almost the same trade two years in a row with Tampa.

So the end result of the St. Louis/Callahan trade:

To New York:

Marty St. Louis - played two seasons and has now retired

Draft pick received - second rounder in 2015 - traded to Arizona as part of Keith Yandle trade (ended up then being traded to Calgary, who took Oliver Kylington)

To Tampa:

Ryan Callahan - signed six year contract in 2014, has five years remaining

Draft picks received from NYR:

2014:  Dominick Masin (D), Jonathon Macleod (D)

2015: Mitchell Stephens ©, Anthony Cirelli ©

If even one of these four guys makes the Lightning in the next two - three years then Stevie Y. won that trade hands down.

• 2 weeks later...

Oduya (aka Pizza Boy) signs in Dallas $3.75M cap hit over 2 years.

Dallas has done quite a bit to improve this off season with the recent trade for Sharp.    You look at these none playoff teams in the Jets conference:

Los Angelas

Dallas

Colorado

San Jose

Edmonton

Arizona

And the Jets will be in tough to make the playoffs again next year.  I'd say any of those teams with the exception of maybe Arizona has a legitimate chance of making the playoffs (not saying they all will, but wouldn't surprise me if any of them did).   Vancouver / Calgary / Winnipeg may be teams that could drop out of the playoffs next year.  

Going to be a dog fight from start to finish.  A lot of parity in the league right now.

Oduya (aka Pizza Boy) signs in Dallas $3.75M cap hit over 2 years.

Dallas has done quite a bit to improve this off season with the recent trade for Sharp.    You look at these none playoff teams in the Jets conference:

Los Angelas

Dallas

Colorado

San Jose

Edmonton

Arizona

And the Jets will be in tough to make the playoffs again next year.  I'd say any of those teams with the exception of maybe Arizona has a legitimate chance of making the playoffs (not saying they all will, but wouldn't surprise me if any of them did).   Vancouver / Calgary / Winnipeg may be teams that could drop out of the playoffs next year.  

Going to be a dog fight from start to finish.  A lot of parity in the league right now.

I've long said I think the Jets could take a step back this season.  One step back to hopefully take two steps forward.

Vancouver is going to be the new Edmonton in the West.  I can't wait to see that bandwagon implode.  It already was imploding last year as people couldn't give their tickets away.   With Miller and the Sedins sucking down a ton of cap space, that team doesn't have much room to maneuver.  The Sedins gotta go.

Vancouver is going to be the new Edmonton in the West.  I can't wait to see that bandwagon implode.  It already was imploding last year as people couldn't give their tickets away.   With Miller and the Sedins sucking down a ton of cap space, that team doesn't have much room to maneuver.  The Sedins gotta go.

Can the Sedins be traded?  Thats a big package deal to move...

Dubnyk still not taken?

On July 4, 2015, Dubnyk, as an unrestricted free agent, opted to remain with the Wild, signing a six-year, $25 million contract at an average annual value of $4.33 million. The terms of the deal were initially agreed-upon on June 26, just prior to his free agent status came into effect on July 1

Dubnyk still not taken?

On July 4, 2015, Dubnyk, as an unrestricted free agent, opted to remain with the Wild, signing a six-year, $25 million contract at an average annual value of $4.33 million. The terms of the deal were initially agreed-upon on June 26, just prior to his free agent status came into effect on July 1

Dubnyk still not taken?

Totally missed that and too lazy to Bing. Thanks.