2015 NHL Free Agency

Rich

So Bruins can't afford Hamilton who would have been a $6-6.5 cap hit but then sign Beleskey for 4 per year...  bizarre.

Bit surprised Chevy let O'Dell go...  almost no depth now.

Are you serious with this statement?

Serious in the sense that Slater, Frolik and ODell were our 'depth' guys last year - all of them filled in when injuries hit

I could have said no 'proven' depth...  ODell was borderline but he could play.  After ODell not many call-up options last year.

Armia, Copp, Ehlers, Lipon...  lot of question marks - be surprised if Chevy doesn't pick up one or two more, maybe even sign Slater to a 1 year

O'Dell only managed 11 games with us last year and 30 the year before.  Wouldn't really call that proven either and his NHL games with us was going down not up.  It was pretty obvious he wasn't going to get much more of a chance here to play in the NHL.

O'Dell signed a one year 2-way deal with Ottawa, his home team. To me that means they pretty much see him as a fringe NHLer at best, with maybe the feel good story of getting a home town boy into the lineup.

ODell was injured for a good chunk of last year.

Not saying that ODell is the key to a Stanley Cup win...  just saying that Chevy is going all in with his 'draft develop' model

Right now, I'd take ODell over Burmistrov... maybe he'll prove me wrong.

I'd take Burmi over O'Dell every day of the week and twice on Sundays.  Not even a contest.

O'Dell is not a loss.  He is a free agent AHLer who signed with his home town team.

25 years old and a grand total of 41 NHL games played.

Like I said, ODell alone, not a big deal - Frolik, Slater, ODell not a big deal to start the season but if two starters go down...

Ladd-Little-Stafford

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler

Perrault-Lowry-Burmistrov

Thorburn-Copp-Peluso

Lipon-Armia

Pretty sure Chevy signs a couple UFAs

So Bruins can't afford Hamilton who would have been a $6-6.5 cap hit but then sign Beleskey for 4 per year...  bizarre.

Serious in the sense that Slater, Frolik and ODell were our 'depth' guys last year - all of them filled in when injuries hit

I could have said no 'proven' depth...  ODell was borderline but he could play.  After ODell not many call-up options last year.

Armia, Copp, Ehlers, Lipon...  lot of question marks - be surprised if Chevy doesn't pick up one or two more, maybe even sign Slater to a 1 year

O'Dell only managed 11 games with us last year and 30 the year before.  Wouldn't really call that proven either and his NHL games with us was going down not up.  It was pretty obvious he wasn't going to get much more of a chance here to play in the NHL.

O'Dell signed a one year 2-way deal with Ottawa, his home team. To me that means they pretty much see him as a fringe NHLer at best, with maybe the feel good story of getting a home town boy into the lineup.

Not saying that ODell is the key to a Stanley Cup win...  just saying that Chevy is going all in with his 'draft develop' model

I'd take Burmi over O'Dell every day of the week and twice on Sundays.  Not even a contest.

O'Dell is not a loss.  He is a free agent AHLer who signed with his home town team.

Like I said, ODell alone, not a big deal - Frolik, Slater, ODell not a big deal to start the season but if two starters go down...

Ladd-Little-Stafford

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler

Thorburn-Copp-Peluso

Lipon-Armia

Completely agree there are more signings to come.  But O'Dell is not a loss whatsoever.  Never mind the comment on Burmi....

Ladd-Little-Stafford

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler

Thorburn-Copp-Peluso

Lipon-Armia

Completely agree there are more signings to come.  But O'Dell is not a loss whatsoever.  Never mind the comment on Burmi....

Burmi's KHL numbers are not exactly awe-inspiring... we'll see what Maurice can do

Ladd-Little-Stafford

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler

Thorburn-Copp-Peluso

Lipon-Armia

Burmi's KHL numbers are not exactly awe-inspiring... we'll see what Maurice can do

His KHL numbers are meaningless when you make a statement like saying you would prefer O'Dell over Burmistrov, which would have to mean that you consider O'Dell a better player.

Burmi's points per game in the NHL almost double O'Dell's.  Never mind the much larger sample size or the fact that Burmi logs time on both the PK and PP while O'Dell does neither.

Burmi also doubles O'Dells time on ice per game, and before you use the time on ice as an excuse for lower point numbers, don't.  O'Dell didn't get more ice time for the simple fact that he is at best a 4th line plug.

Not saying ODell is necessarily better... I'd just rather have him on my roster than Burmistrov.  Because Russians are generally poison and Burmi has yet to prove otherwise.  We'll see.

Moot point now.  I'll feel a lot better when the Jets sign Justin Williams.

Not saying ODell is necessarily better... I'd just rather have him on my roster than Burmistrov.  Because Russians are generally poison and Burmi has yet to prove otherwise.  We'll see.

Moot point now.  I'll feel a lot better when the Jets sign Justin Williams.

That is a pretty general statement to make.  Last time I checked Evander Kane was Canadian.  Poison players are human nature and come in all nationalities.

Lots of Russians that are not poison.  For a while there has been a flight risk to the KHL, which I think was a bigger reason teams shied away from them, but with the messed up economy in Russia, the risk is less.

Specific to Burmi, yes there has been rumours that he isn't great in the locker room.  I think the Jets room is pretty strong though and can handle him.

Even given character issues, there is no way I'd take O'Dell over Burmi.  There are much better NHL players we have in our system over O'Dell.

4.3 for a guy who ideally plays 3rd line is Def an overpayment IMO. Maybe the fact that it's a 5 year deal makes me think overpayment. Is Frolik top 6 in calgary? Hudler Monahan Guedreau Bennett. Hmm. Ya probably second line. Maybe not a bad deal but I think he's a 3rd liner on a really good team. 4.3 on a 5 year deal is steep

It really depends if the cap continues to stay relatively the same or starts to rise again.  This is of course highly dependant on the Canadian dollar.

If the cap is up to $80M in year 3, $85M+ in year 4/5 it really isn't that bad of a contract.

If the cap stays below $80M over the next 5 years, they may regret it when some of their younger players start coming up.

If Oilers D was not such a mess, Sekera is an overpayment - although it could be argued that if Toby is getting 5.5 then its not at all...  Same can be said for Green, Red Wings need D help

Frolik is a plug and play guy, not a ton of those in the league...  that contract seems fair

Justin Williams looks like a steal, wish Jets got him - just the kind of guy we needed

Mike green is way over paid. Saw one analysis that called him a declining #4 dman on the caps to the highest paid dman on the wings.

The TSN guys were all calling the Frolik contract a huge win for his agents while Acknowledging they'd all want him on their team. So it seemed to surprise them he got that much. I think we're conditioned to it bexause everyday we heard he wanted $5m so 4.3 seems like a deal.

Justin Williams would have been great here. I think maybe the signing of Burmi and the desire to use Ehlers closed up a hole for the jets.

I think Froliks wife had a say in this. His one quote about having a family now leads me to believe that he was gone and there was nothing the jets could do besides massively over pay him that would change his mind. Oh well. One less allan Walsh client to deal with