CFL Preseason B Other Games BC vs Cal / Mtl vs Ott / Ssk vs Edm

Well I guess TSN finally decided to show up out at McMahon tonight and cast the stampeders. Should be a good one in theory and I'm curious to see what BC has in contingency this season in case Lulay doesn't make it through. It's not quite as good as the regular season but as long as Rod Black isn't calling this game, I'm liking it.

Way too early to tell how BC will do. Road pre-season game, co-ordinators not on the field but up in the booth, Cortez running the most vanilla of offenses, before the 65 man cut down day. They didn't show any of their TE formations. 

They played 3 Internationals on the OL; Matt Norman/Dean Valli didn't play more than the first drive. Harris, Iannuzzi and Gore didn't play, even Collie didn't play a ton. Cord Parks didn't play much, Elimimian and Bighill didn't play.

The biggest questions for the Lions is can Lulay go from day 1 and will he last the season. With a healthy Lulay I think they are a 11-7 team. If they are stuck with John Beck (and if he's actually healthy) they are a 7 or 8 win team. Their first team defense is playoff worthy. 

Way too early to tell how BC will do. Road pre-season game, co-ordinators not on the field but up in the booth, Cortez running the most vanilla of offenses, before the 65 man cut down day. They didn't show any of their TE formations. 

They played 3 Internationals on the OL; Matt Norman/Dean Valli didn't play more than the first drive. Harris, Iannuzzi and Gore didn't play, even Collie didn't play a ton. Cord Parks didn't play much, Elimimian and Bighill didn't play.

The biggest questions for the Lions is can Lulay go from day 1 and will he last the season. With a healthy Lulay I think they are a 11-7 team. If they are stuck with John Beck (and if he's actually healthy) they are a 7 or 8 win team. Their first team defense is playoff worthy. 

Yeah, those are pretty much my thoughts on the matter.  Manny Arceneaux didn't play either, so yeah, that's pretty much all their main starters on O sitting it out, which makes plenty of sense.

As to the QB situation, there is plenty of reason for Leo fans to be concerned about Lulay's situation and as was mentioned here earlier, they may be in a bit of denial as to just how far he can go this year.  I don't fault them for staying loyal to a guy who's accomplished much over his career with them there, but I think the chapter may be about to come to a close though, like it or not.

Beck did not play at all tonight, and based on the limited time I've seen him play in in the previous seasons, he may very well be on his way out.  Partridge isn't much better and he too looked bad tonight, even if his series was limited.  Jonathon Jennings may be their future QB who knows, he's got some potential there and probably even just as much if not more physical ability and talent as Glenn, but he lacks the kind of experience that someone like Glenn who's been around for a while and knows how to bounce back from bad games and follow up with good ones would know how to do, and in a league that can throw a lot of those mental curveballs at you like that, that's a critical part of the game there.

All in all, I don't think I'd conclusively say that BC is terrible, but we have kind of an unknown with Tedford, an uncertainty about which of their players will have a good year, as some can be a little streaky, and overall, I just feel BC is in the middle going slightly backwards as opposed to going forward.

Beck did not play at all tonight, and based on the limited time I've seen him play in in the previous seasons, he may very well be on his way out.  

Beck has hepatitis and has been kept away from his teammates because apparently it's a contagious form. 

Not to put it all on Lulay's shoulder but it's all on Lulay's shoulder. 

Calgary's going to be a force again this year.  Mostly played their 3rd, 4th and 5th string QB's and still managed to look like a good football club.

BC left a lot of starters at home and played with their 3rd, 4th, and 5th string QB's too.  Jennings looked pretty good and will likely start the season as Lulay's arm isn't ready yet.  Partridge looked pretty bad.  Horrible throwing motion = horrible accuracy.  Probably cut IMO.  I liked the quick offence from BC.  I don't think they will be as bad as a lot of folks around here do.

I'm still not sure about BC.  They have all the ingredients for a disastrous year:

• Head coach who has been away from the CFL for decades
  • Chronically injured QB
  • No Canadian depth on the OL

But they also still have Wally Buono and a great defence.  So we'll see.  All I know is someone has to finish last in the West and it's still not clear who that's going to be.

Geeze, Rider game on at 11 Atlantic. Definitely PVRing.

Where do you live?

I live in Saint John, NB. I moved from Saskatoon a week and a half ago. I am like 3 hours ahead of Fort Mac, lol.

When you leave Saskatchewan, do you get to keep the banjo and overalls, or do they have to be turned in?

It was BCs Oline that looked the worst last night. I don't know what type of starters were playing but they had better hope it was none. Lulay won't last behind the group that played last night.

The number of guys that blew through that line on blitzes was terrifying if you're a Lions fan, that's for sure, but hopefully that's not even close to their starting line-up...