Paris Cotton

With camp quickly approaching I wonder, anyone else think Cotton may not be the starting tailback this year? Last year he was everyone's sexy pick to take the role out of camp and we know how that turned out. Other than Brad Randle, I really don't know much about the other guys coming in to compete for the job (Carlos Anderson, Cam Marshall). Whoever takes the job, I hope our OC gets a guy in there who can get more than two yards a carry consistently, we need a good running game and our new O-line should help out in that.

Walters has said they want to run 2 import RB's this year in a "thunder and lightning" approach.  He even used the term "thunder and lightning."  I'd be surprised if Cotton isn't one of them.  It looks like Cotton will compete with Bradley Randle and CJ Anderson for one role, and Da'Rel Scott and Cam Marshall will compete for the other one.

Walters has said they want to run 2 import RB's this year in a "thunder and lightning" approach.  He even used the term "thunder and lightning."  I'd be surprised if Cotton isn't one of them.  It looks like Cotton will compete with Bradley Randle and CJ Anderson for one role, and Da'Rel Scott and Cam Marshall will compete for the other one.

Boy do I wish this wasn't a typo...

Boy do I wish this wasn't a typo...

lol oops.  Me too!

Of course I meant Carlos, not CJ!

I've heard Randle makes Cotton look like he is standing still.  I hope this is the case.  Not because I don't like Cotton but because if this is true we might have a stud at RB this year!

I've been waiting too long to read the word "stud" in a post. Now it's stuck in my ear.

I won't be broken up if Cotton gets beaten for the job. The key though has to be that someone has to beat him. Cotton was the best RB in training camp last year, he should have been the starter, but Grigsby fluked out a big game in week one while cotton was hurt and they refused to put the better back in the game. 

I won't be broken up if Cotton gets beaten for the job. The key though has to be that someone has to beat him. Cotton was the best RB in training camp last year, he should have been the starter, but Grigsby fluked out a big game in week one while cotton was hurt and they refused to put the better back in the game. 

I've been wondering why they didn't replace Grigsby with Cotton sooner for that 7-8 game stretch where it was evident Grigsby was slow hitting the openings (such as they were) and that he was always down on first contact. Buck Pierce is the running backs coach, was it his call to keep Grigsby as starter while our run game sucked? That said - really pumped about the RB competition this year and will be extremely stoked if we actually go with a double RB set.

I'd be shocked if Cotton was beat in camp.

For an incumbent starter to lose their job, there usually has to be a pretty noticeable difference between the two players.  If it's fractional, Cotton will get the benefit of the doubt.  And if it's more than that, more often than not they just cut the incumbent outright when the player is an import.  If that happens in Cotton's case, his slender rookie contract will be what keeps him on the roster - it will not be a misuse of cap space to keep him as a backup.