Bombers sign LB Sammy Brown

Jpan85

Was their anything impressive stats/pedigree about Slay or was he just impressive looking?

I'm seeing a lot of comparisons being made without much justification lately. Not saying this is one but..

He had the youtube highlight video to end all videos.  Most linebackers get a hits like that in once or twice in a career - Slay had clip after clip after clip of him destroying RBs coming thru the middle.  Terry Ray on Pat Woodcock level hits.  Kuale on Pierce for the younger crowd.

Or do you mean you just don't want to get on the hype train?

His numbers are otherworldly, but so was Slay's video.  Just going to wait with cautious optimism until he shows something similar on this side of the border.  I've been burnt before...

Sammy looks impressive for sure. Slammin' Sammy. Sometimes in the NFL, younger cheaper guys come in and take your spot. Not sure why he isn't in the NFL but really, NFL lets a lot of pretty good football players slip through their fingers at times. I know it's not the same but... i think theres a few guys in the CFL who could easily be playing in the NFL if given the chance. This guy was given a chance and stuck around for a bit. He looks impressive for sure but so do lots of guys that walters and crew have brought in this off-season. Comparing this off-season to last, I'd say they have done a 100 percent better job. 

Was their anything impressive stats/pedigree about Slay or was he just impressive looking?

I'm seeing a lot of comparisons being made without much justification lately. Not saying this is one but..

He had a couple big hits on his highlight package and people thought that meant something. Was just a case of a good name and a couple highlight reel hits and people assumed he was legit. Much more impressive to see someone with impressive stats behind them than an impressive highlight package. If you don't have a good highlight pack then you are either terrible or the people putting together your tape suck badly. 

The knock on Brown was that he was undersized as an NFL OLB,

PROS: Speed, production, awareness, pass rush ability, makes play behind the LOS, really like his potential as a third down specilalist

CONS: Sometimes gets sucked into plays, a little too light to play at the LOS in the NFL, can get engulfed by blockers, has to figure out if he is a one-trick pony

PROS: Speed, production, awareness, pass rush ability, makes play behind the LOS, really like his potential as a third down specilalist

CONS: Sometimes gets sucked into plays, a little too light to play at the LOS in the NFL, can get engulfed by blockers, has to figure out if he is a one-trick pony

A pass-rusher end?

A pass-rusher end?

He's built for the CFL, probably DE.

This is one of the saddest "highlight" packs I've ever seen... it was just still photos, bad angles, and practice video...

I'd love to see an actual video of what he can do...

I totally agree.

And if that's the video his agent sent out to the NFL teams scouting departments, it's no wonder he got such little interest.

Due to Duane Slay, I will maintain a holding pattern of cautious optimism for the time being.

Duane Slay was a victim of internal Bomber politics. The guy was a future DPOY. At least if you believed the hype that is......

Attitude is important....

Ty Jones who was pretty intense at the best of times......sometimes would go back to the D huddle.....very angry, when he though he missed a sack or something......he would then do something about that.  And someone would pay.

his level of intensity would be pretty hard to beat.  Just an amazing player.  I wonder sometimes if I will see another LB like him ever again.

Sammy Brown Scouting Report

Sammy Brown - Houston (HT: 6-3 - WT: 240)

Positives -- Good size and game speed at the outside linebacker position... An instinctive pass rusher, good timing skills for anticipating the snap count, has a good initial step and can bend the edge against blockers... Plays well with his hands and can fool blockers with an impressive swim move; also has the size to develop a good bull rush... Knows when to get his hands up and bat the ball down... A solid tackler, good fundamentals with wrapping up the ball carrier... Will be asked to play outside in a 3-4 scheme at the NFL level and has experience playing the position as opposed to being a hybrid projection... Led the FBS with 30 tackles for loss in 2011, 7.5 TFL more than his closest competitor, Whitney Mercilus of Illinois... Has the upside to develop into a poor man's Lamar Woodley in the NFL, worth a late round flyer pick.

Negatives -- Is not a finished product and will require significant coaching at the next level... A bit of a one trick pony at this point, will need to develop a power/bull rush in order to succeed in the NFL... Does not play well against the run, crashes down too often and gives up the outside... Plays flat footed against the run, appears to not trust his instincts in the run game... Gets blocked out of plays by below average tackles and tight ends; needs to get stronger all around at the next level... Does not have any significant coverage skills to speak of, will need to develop them in the NFL... Has good stats but makes a lot of plays when unblocked or uncontested (artificial inflation).

At Houston -- (Official School Bio) 2010: Played in all 12 games and started 11... Led Conference USA and ranked fifth in the NCAA in tackles for loss with 20... The 20 TFL rank tied for sixth in the Houston record books... Ranked tied for fourth in Conference USA in quarterback sacks... Made his collegiate debut against Texas State during the season opener... Finished with six tackles, including an assist on a 4-yard sack against the Bobcats... Recorded six tackles, including four solo stops, with a tackle for a 1-yard loss... Also added a forced fumble, pass breakup and three quarterback hurries against the Miners.. recorded four tackles, including at 4-yard sack, at UCLA... Posted three tackles, including one for a 3-yard loss, and added a quarterback pressure against Tulane... Made eight tackles, all solo, against Rice... also had five tackles for loss (31 yards) and two sacks (22 yards) bringing the Owls back 53 yards in total... Delieverd a performance that earned him co-Defensive Player of the Week against SMU... Led the team with eight tackles, including seven solo stops... Also had two sacks totaling five yards, four tackles for loss totaling 10 yards, and a forced fumble against the Mustangs... Had four tackles, including one solo and an assisted sack for a 2-yard loss against Memphis... Led the team with 11 tackles including four solo stops, of which two were for a total of four yards lost against UCF... Made seven tackles, including an assisted sack for a 2-yard loss and a tackle for a 4-yard loss against Tulsa... Posted 12 tackles, two for loss and a sack at USM.