CFL Draft needs

Childress

There are 6 good O lineman and 3 good receivers, but only 1 available DL (Waud) in the top 15.  He should be ready to rotate on the DL pretty much right away, which is why I'd choose him with our first round pick.  I expect, however, the Bombers will go with Demski or Chungh at #2.

Been working on a mock draft for a week or so now.

What really stood out to me is that everyone keeps saying the Bombers are going to get three good players. This draft, in my mind, is so deep that with our current pick pool, we could easily snag a fourth solid prospect.

Here's what I've got so far

1. Ottawa - OL Alex Mateas (seems to be the smart money pick, hometown kid who can be a solid building block; could be derailed by NFL)

2. Winnipeg - REC Nic Demski (OL and REC equal areas of need, pool of OL better than pool of REC + the hometown connection; could easily be Durant but Walters on record saying Demski is his REC1 on the board)

3. Toronto - OL Sukh Chungh (best OL not named Boyko on the board, Toronto needs to prepare for aging OL and rebuild)

4. Montreal - REC Lemar Durant (OL not a deep concern for Popp, best REC available is easily Durant and Montreal could use experienced REC corps to groom and mentor a great talent; this could easily be Waud too)

5. BC - OL Danny Groulx (not a lot of OL depth in Vancouver, fills a need and fits the BPA label)

6. Saskatchewan - DL Daryl Waud (strong move by Taman, could see this being accompanied by decision to commit to a Canadian DT and make a trade with Hamilton)

7. Edmonton - OL Sean McEwen (strikes me as a very similar player to Brett Jones, got all the smarts, maybe not as ready physically, but still a very pro ready OL in my opinion)

8. Hamilton - OL Brett Boyko (calculated gamble here by Austin - he's got a ton in the pipeline for Canadian talent and could really use a stud OL - makes NFL gamble worth it)

9. Calgary - LB Chris Ackie (best player available scenario right here, not a strong need on the OL and Calgary could use some bodies to take defensive reps and make ST contributions)

10. Ottawa - LB Byron Archambault (tough player to project, could go here, could go in the third round. How do you translate his overall athleticism to the field? Shuttle time helps big time at combine)

11. Winnipeg - OL Jacob Ruby (if Bombers see Ruby fall to them, they'll be thrilled. Biggest threat is Hamilton at 8)

12. Toronto - DL Ese Mrarube-Ajufo (edge speed and athleticism were big pluses at combine, gives them a body for reps behind new prize Foley)

13. Montreal - DB Tevaughn Campbell (raw, but showed good cover skills with new rules at combine and is easily fast enough to defend in pros, immediate ST demon)

14. BC - RB Shaq Murray-Lawrence (gives them the all Canadian backfield combination that could be envy of CFL, hard guy for them to pass on at this spot)

15. Winnipeg - DL Maxx Forde (concerns about why his senior season was disappointment, but capable of being a big disruption on defensive line; this could easily be Shortill too)

16. Edmonton - REC Addison Richards (good value on BPA for Edmonton, interview disappointed at combine and speed is concerning, but he's a big physical body with soft hands)

17. Hamilton - OL James Bodanis (went OL gamble in first round, goes OL that they can have in camp in second round. Stocking the barn with hogs important for Hamilton)

18. Calgary - REC Jake Harty (natural fit in Calgary, can easily push Charbonneau and Parker)

19. Calgary - OL Karl Lavoie (Huf understands the value of a guy like Lavoie on the OL, can be brought along slow)

20. Hamilton - LB Nick Shortill (good bet to be one of the best available guys on the board, could be gone much earlier. Strong pick for Austin)

21. Toronto - LB Ron Omara (big broad LB who can take snaps behind Cory Greenwood in Toronto D)

22. Calgary - RB Tyler Varga (at this point, the pick makes sense, still have pick to get similar player to what you could take now at 27, hedge your bets with Varga earlier)

23. BC - DL Brandon Tennant (question marks, but if focus is there, talent is there easily)

24. Hamilton - REC Melvin Abankwah (another tough guy to project ... how much stock do you put in combine? Not a safe pick but could look great in two years)

25. Edmonton - DB Kwame Adjei (big body, could project at LB or DB, showed great coverage ability at combine)

26. Saskatchewan - OL Campbell Allison (had terrible combine, did not show up in shape. With proper work ethic, he's talented enough to be a strong guard in CFL)

27. Calgary - LB Auston Johnson (Alondra will be pleased ... needs shaping to be CFL game ready but looks good on film and can fill ST role immediately)

28. Ottawa - DL Ettore Lattanzio (Ottawa continues to build a strong stable in trenches)

29. Hamilton - REC Matthew Norzil (if healthy, Norzil is easily up there with, at the very least, Richards and Harty. health is big concern)

30. Toronto - DL Rory Connop (faded at combine, didn't help his cause but still deserving of top 30 selection)

31. Montreal - RB Dillon Campbell (offensive skill guys so tough to project when they don't fit mold, but with Lumbala gone, makes sense)

32. BC - LB Adam Konar (awful combine showing including a late flight resulting in interview delays/cancellations dropped his stock a lot but reports are he's got impressive film)

33. Winnipeg - LB Blair Smith (could easily see Konar and Smith flip flopping ... classic film vs combine, athleticism concerns vs football concerns)

34. Edmonton - RB Matt Rea (this guy could easily end up being huge fan favorite in Edmonton ... does all the dirty work, will contribute in Rob Cote fashion)

35. Saskatchewan - LB Adrian Clarke (big body, ST contributor immediately)

36. Montreal - OL Quinn Lawlor (big time project, but hard to turn down upside at this point, especially with team that has no real need to rush OL)

I have nothing but respect for those who stick their neck out and make a mock draft.  It is so much easier to stand on the sidelines and take pot shots at someone's work than it is to put yourself out there.

That said, I cannot see Calgary taking a linebacker in the first round.  Linebacker is in no way a need for the Stampeders.  They play three imports at linebacker and have two imports who will be fighting for a designated import position behind them.  They have a very quality Canadian in McCartney who can play defense.  Shomari Williams is mostly an excellent special teams player, but also a guy you could plug into the defense to get through a game if you had three injuries to your linebackers.  They have Yannick Carter - another excellent special teamer.  Last year they drafted Caron who looked great in training camp but then was injured for the season.  I cannot see them taking a linebacker early in the draft.  It isn't a need.

I could see them taking a receiver, if Durant or Demski were still on the board, as they lost Sinopoli to Ottawa and only have three Canadian receivers.  They also need to replace the loss of Jones on the OL and in your draft scenario with the remaining OL that are available, I'd see them taking Ruby with their first pick. 

I do like the third round pick of the Stamps taking Varga.  Most mock drafts are calling that.  He likely won't ever play in the CFL which will scare away most teams.  The Stampeders with three third round picks, could afford to spend one on Varga.

I agree with Chilly. Putting out a mock draft is something to respect! 

Some thoughts:

I'd flip flop your #4 and #5 picks. Durant fits BC better than Montreal and Groulx fits Montreal better than BC. 

Chris Ackie is more of a DB than a guy that'll move up like Pruneau did last year. I see him as a great fit for Hamilton but not sure they'll see him as a first round guy so likely a second round pick to somebody. Hamilton and Winnipeg had a National at CB last year so they could be likely landing places for him. Winnipeg at #15?

I also see Kwame Adjei as the #2 DB and a good CFL fit for either the wide side corner or at safety. He's a hitter! 

I believe that Shortill slips a little farther and Omara should be a second round guy. 

Saskatchewan really liked Blair Smith early in the evaluation process. I could see them using their 3rd round pick to get him if he's still there. 

Montreal really likes the versatile players so a Louis Mensah over Dillon Campbell in the 4th might be an option. Mensah is a strong guy that can play FB and did work as a LB at the combine. He's played both sides of the ball in the past. 

I like the combo of the first two picks being Demski and Ruby.  The problem is that if Ruby doesn't fall to us at 11, then we don't get a top OL.  Too much of a gamble taking Demski at 2 overall, as there's only 6 top OL in this draft, and one might get drafted by the NFL.  After seeing Mike's mock draft, I'm more convinced than ever, that Walters is going OL at 2. 

I think Harty will get picked before Addison Richards.  Harty is just a ball player, he'll be a good CFLer even if he doesn't become a consistent starter. Richards is red flag after red flag.  I'm always cognizant of guys who are bigger or more athletic than their competition vs guys who are good receivers coming into the draft.  I think Durant and Richards are the former and will struggle mightily early in their CFL careers to make the transition, Demski is a mix, but has become a great route runner needs some work on his hands on some of the more basic routes, Harty is the latter for sure.

I also think Shaq is going to be gone in the first round, possibly the second "skill position" guy off the board after Demski.  Dillon Campbell could go high too.  He is explosive and he'll be able to carry the ball in the CFL.  Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Blue and Gold as that is somewhat of a need, that need and Campbell being BPA for the Bombers could line up around 15.  Lafrance could be a late round gem too.  He's got a bit of a McCarty vibe to him.

I agree with Chilly. Putting out a mock draft is something to respect!

For sure, and thanks to all who do it, it makes for great reading.

Since a) I know very little about individual prospects beyond commonly available thoughts of others, b ) pay little attention to the personnel situations of teams not named Bombers, and c) ha ha, get back to work me, I will once again pass this year.

But while reading these posts I found my own thoughts and the psychology behind them interesting.

After reading Mike's post, specifically about who we might take with our 4th pick...

33. Winnipeg - LB Blair Smith (could easily see Konar and Smith flip flopping ... classic film vs combine, athleticism concerns vs football concerns)

...I was disappointed.  I didn't recognize the name (doesn't help that it's Smith), and couldn't recall any hype from the commonly available thoughts of others about this player.

Then I read Rids thought on the same player who disappointed me about 10 posts prior...

Saskatchewan really liked Blair Smith early in the evaluation process. I could see them using their 3rd round pick to get him if he's still there.

...and whoosh - 180 - I'm on board the Blair Smith train.  Let's get this guy!  And all that without any improvement in the knowledge of the player, just a single mention from Rids that another team likes him.  In other words, a dash of hype.

And this is why I will continue to never form or give opinions on individual players leading up to the draft.

Appreciate the Mocks for sure, I honestly have no idea who goes where but... reading between some lines, Ottawa probably does take Mateas, and Winnipeg, well I think we do go with Demski at 2. From what i've seen and read from people who actually have some say in the matter, they are high on Demski and Canadian Receiver is definitely a weak spot for us...

Kohlert is our only proven guy really, Demski makes too much sense. OL? they went out and improved it this season and i think some of the guys who are not getting hype like Bodanis and Lawlor are the guys we should be looking at with our later picks. 

3 OL, 2 Receivers, DB, LB. <-- that's our starting 7 Canadians. Makes too much sense to go with Demski with pick 2 and OL later in the draft, as early as the 2nd round even. 

If i was a betting man, I'd have to bet that we see a run on non OL players in the first round just due to the depth of the OL in this draft

The reason I don't foresee us going OL at number 2 is because there's a huge logjam after Mateas. You can easily argue Chungh, Groulx, Ruby and McEwen in there all together. Any one of them could be worthy at the 2 spot but with 8 picks in between 2 and 11, I just don't see all 4 of those guys going by the time it gets to us. They might, but I don't believe they will. One of them would fall to 11, especially if Boyko doesn't end up getting signed. We'll have a better idea after the NFL Draft but I just feel like the OL pool is deep and you're not getting the best one whether you pick at 2 or 11, so why not maximize your assets.

Tricky part is that if the bombers feel that Waud can step in and rotate with Thomas for the season, you've changed the ratio and don't need two NI RECs.  (3 OL, REC, DT, CB, WIL)

Either way, its a big gamble that #2 can step in and perform... the more I look at it, the more Waud looks like the 'safest' pick.

The reason I don't foresee us going OL at number 2 is because there's a huge logjam after Mateas. You can easily argue Chungh, Groulx, Ruby and McEwen in there all together. Any one of them could be worthy at the 2 spot but with 8 picks in between 2 and 11, I just don't see all 4 of those guys going by the time it gets to us. They might, but I don't believe they will. One of them would fall to 11, especially if Boyko doesn't end up getting signed. We'll have a better idea after the NFL Draft but I just feel like the OL pool is deep and you're not getting the best one whether you pick at 2 or 11, so why not maximize your assets.

If Boyko doesn't sign, you have to pick him or Mateas.

Tricky part is that if the bombers feel that Waud can step in and rotate with Thomas for the season, you've changed the ratio and don't need two NI RECs.  (3 OL, REC, DT, CB, WIL)

Either way, its a big gamble that #2 can step in and perform... the more I look at it, the more Waud looks like the 'safest' pick.

I'm really going to have a hard time agreeing that it's a good idea to force one of Anderson, Turner and even Nate Collins (who I think is going to be a stud up here) to the inactive roster.

I agree it's possible, but I don't like the thought of it.

that's definitely fair...I'm the first to admit that I don't know enough about the Draft or the CIS in general. I defer to the clique of draft gurus here...

No, I was the first to admit I don't know enough about the draft or the CIS in general.

...tired of not getting proper credit from internet chat sites...grumble grumble...going home...

I'm really going to have a hard time agreeing that it's a good idea to force one of Anderson, Turner and even Nate Collins (who I think is going to be a stud up here) to the inactive roster.

I agree it's possible, but I don't like the thought of it.

#2 stepping in and performing is unlikely at any position.  It happens on rare occasions, but planning around it in April is a fools errand.  If the Bombers make a move to shift their ratio, I really doubt it's going to be 4 on offence and 3 on defence.  If they added DT to the group of 7, the odds are still much higher that they are taking that spot out of the defence at LB or DB.

The problem for the Bombers is they just can't fix all their problems in one draft.  Something has to be ignored for now, and it looks like DT will be that spot.  Even if we drafted Waud, he's a first year player and it's going to take time.  A rotation of Thomas/rookie-Waud as a near-full time ratio spot is hard for me to give a thumbs up to.

Now maybe a trade is in the works for one of those Ticat DTs, in which case starting a guy like Gaydosh with Thomas rotating in and Waud getting a chance to develop at a less frantic pace definitely affords us a chance to reposition the ratio - although I still think the Bombers would prefer to only start 2 NIs on defence.