Bombers sign Goodrich

wpgallday1960

I'm glad that this has finally been formally announced. 

Nobody works harder than Kurt; on the field or in the gym.   He's got great strength, and really good speed.  He also has a fantastic ability to adjust to the football in the air.  I've seen him deliberately move away from the football to throw off the defender, and then back to the ball to make the catch.  I've seen lots of players make lots of moves prior to the ball being released, but not many can make a move away after the ball is in the air....he can.

2014:  60 receptions  924 yards   5 touchdowns

2013:  41 receptions  985 yards   9 touchdowns

It's hard to compare a player coming out of junior to players at the pro level.  He has been the dominant receiver in the CJFL for a few years now.  His numbers at that level are impressive, especially once you factor in that the Rifles play an 8 game schedule.  (prorated to 18 game schedule last year would be 135 catches, 2,079 yds, and  11 tds)    He was the "Milt" of the CJFL  (I'm not saying that he'll be the "Milt" of the CFL, but at the CJFL level, he was the guy that other teams had to scheme up against)  When he and Brett Carter played together, part of the Rifles "fab 5" a couple of years ago, Goodrich was the big play guy, while Carter was the Joe Pop kind of player, go over the middle and catch everything, even the stuff that shouldn't be caught.   IMHO, Carter has the better hands, Goodrich has better moves and better speed.

I'll be watching with great interest, and cheering for him all the way.

Disclaimer:  I know him, from football connections,  but despite the gushing report,  I'm not a relative.

I'm glad that this has finally been formally announced.

Nobody works harder than Kurt; on the field or in the gym. He's got great strength, and really good speed. He also has a fantastic ability to adjust to the football in the air. I've seen him deliberately move away from the football to throw off the defender, and then back to the ball to make the catch. I've seen lots of players make lots of moves prior to the ball being released, but not many can make a move away after the ball is in the air....he can.

2014: 60 receptions 924 yards 5 touchdowns

2013: 41 receptions 985 yards 9 touchdowns

It's hard to compare a player coming out of junior to players at the pro level. He has been the dominant receiver in the CJFL for a few years now. His numbers at that level are impressive, especially once you factor in that the Rifles play an 8 game schedule. (prorated to 18 game schedule last year would be 135 catches, 2,079 yds, and 11 tds) He was the "Milt" of the CJFL (I'm not saying that he'll be the "Milt" of the CFL, but at the CJFL level, he was the guy that other teams had to scheme up against) When he and Brett Carter played together, part of the Rifles "fab 5" a couple of years ago, Goodrich was the big play guy, while Carter was the Joe Pop kind of player, go over the middle and catch everything, even the stuff that shouldn't be caught. IMHO, Carter has the better hands, Goodrich has better moves and better speed.

I'll be watching with great interest, and cheering for him all the way.

Disclaimer: I know him, from football connections, but despite the gushing report, I'm not a relative.

Cool synopsis.. As someone who has no clue about goodrich, this gives me hope that he can be our (finally!) Homegrown diamond in the rough.. Excited to cheer for 2 home grown products now in Goodrich and Carter..

Goodrich 2x Canada Cup All Star receiver.

2010 red shirt with the Bisons.

2011 moved over to th Rifles and was PFC rookie of the year.

2012 broke his collar bone in the first game, returned for game 7 to play out the season.

2013 was going back to Bisons but Ryan Marsh was returning to Rifles and he decided to stay with the program to try and win a Championship. Had a record breaking season. CJFL All Canadian.

2014 second CJFL All Canadian.

IIRC. Demski and Goodrich were teammates once before. Team 'Toba provincial team u-17 at the Football Canada Cup.

Why didn't it work out with Kurt and the Bisons? Didn't he have two separate stints with them in 2010 and 2013? 

There are players who don't want to spend 4 years working on a degree just to play high level football.  It may not be their aptitude, they may have economic reasons that make having a job more important than studying, any number of the same reasons that non-football players have for not going to university.

None of that is specific to Goodrich, whom I have never met or seen play, and only have second-hand knowledge of from some friends involved in amateur football.  They say he is very much the real deal, whatever that means and for whatever that's worth.

So can I finally say we've used a regional exemption or is this just a free agent signing

Well, he's a Canadian kid who I believe has used up his eligibility and has not gone thru the draft, so yes, I'm going to say the only way that's possible is by using a regional exemption.

Unless it's not.  I've never read the CFL CBA.