Evander Kane & Bogo Traded to Buffalo

Rich

Unless there is a strong possibility of him signing with us, I would get something for him befire the deadline.

Been reading some interesting offers (rumors) the Jets have received for Myers already....wow.

You would trade Frolik??? I don't get this....

UFA's who don't sign before the tradeline deadline should be traded. IMHO.

So you also beliebe tjay a team going into the playoffs should not sign rentals?

Unless there is a strong possibility of him signing with us, I would get something for him befire the deadline.

Been reading some interesting offers (rumors) the Jets have received for Myers already....wow.

You would trade Frolik??? I don't get this....
UFA's who don't sign before the tradeline deadline should be traded. IMHO.

So you also believe that a team going into the playoffs should not sign rentals?

Teams that think they got a good/great chance to win the cup will trade for players ala Jarome Iginla.

I do not see the Jets at that level at the moment. Still lots of games before trade deadline so anything could happen.

Chevy would also be sending the message that he wants people signed and not going into the offseason wondering what Fro is going to do. I stand by what I said earlier, if he doesn't sign, wrap him up in another deal and get a top 6 with some contract left. Chevy has as much as said he isn't done dealing if the right deal comes along....he is looking for a top 9 everyone says, I would be looking for a top 6. I am not calling down Fro here, I like what he adds to the team. He has to be signed to play tho.

Chevy has some $$ to spend and where better to spend it than a player that helps us into the playoffs as a top 6? Even if it takes a bit more of what i said above. Burmi, 1st rounder from sabres, Fro, Stuart and a 2nd in 2016? This is supposed to be a really deep draft so that 1st from Buffalo is nothing to sneeze at. ****, give them Postma too.

Also, 4.5 to 5.5 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for Fro and Chevy will never give him that much.

Here is a link to salaries and term and cap hit...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=WIN

You can't compare contracts that were signed 3 - 5 years ago to market value today. You will be hard pressed to sign any player if you do that.

A lot of those players would be making a whole lot more if they were signed today. That is the trade off of long term deals. The downside for the club is if the player under performs, contracts are guaranteed.

What you have to be careful of is the money you spend on Frolik now will dictate the money that Little, Ladd, Buff etc will want when their contracts are due.

In my opinion you also over value what players like Postma and Burmi are worth right now. No one will give up a top six with term for a bag of pucks, unsigned players with no cost certainty, and expiring contracts. Even with a draft pick thrown in.

Dead weight? Kane and Bogo were dead weight? Wow, Chevy sure got a lot for some dead weight!

Who isn't giving up a top 6? Make the trade with someone out of the playoffs. Carolina? Edmonton? There's a lot of teams not making the playoffs this year that would love to have a first round pick in this year's draft with the leadership of Stuart and Fro as well as the right s to Burmi....like I said, throw in Postma too.....What I suggested is not enough for Eberle? Edmonton needs help on D and will be moving players... good players. TO is supposed to be in the market to for trades as is Arizona. Am I not offering enough?

I love the fact that the NHL is back in town and we can have these debates and I absolutely love the way the Jets are building a team.

No, that is absolutely not enough for Eberle.   Ask anyone on this board who is not a Winnipeg Jet or Edmonton Oiler fan so would be more impartial to the players, and that trade would be laughed at.

A bottom 6 D on the downside of his career, an expiring UFA, rights to a player who may or may not sign and who knows for what, and another throw in 5 - 6 D man at best, reserve D man right now for the Jets and a 1st rounder for what is potentially a franchise player at best, a top line player at worst who is signed to $6M / year with a lot of term.

I could take the pay but I'm glad I'm not the GM too.

Stafford was not a major part of this deal and I honestly think he will fit in nicely this year. Will he be here next year? I'd sign him for 2-3 years if he pans out but not at the 4m he is currently making. 7.8 for 3 years sounds about right  to  me...he can move down to the 4th line once our young players make the team. 

The trade has been good for the Jets to a degree.  Are we less "defensive" with Myers in instead of Bogo?  I think in the big picture, Myers is the better player.  Bogo will be good for Buffalo but they have to be careful not to lean on him too much.  But he's also a +1 for Buffalo, playing all those minutes.  He's "the man" on D now.  The Sabres could be a very fun team to watch for years.  Im not sure they will win a lot of games but I have a feeling they will try to out score their opponents.  Will lose games 6-5.

Interesting comments from Kane at his Buffalo presser.  Admitted he asked for a trade previously.  I have a feeling this dates back to his contract renewal.  He also claims he wasnt wearing a track suit (which seems to contradict his previous comments a bit) and that there were 'other things'.  God I'd love to know the details of what happened in vancouver.  He claims it didnt work out with the Jets because "Winnipeg is a small town" and its hard to get away from things like you could in Vancouver or Toronto.  He's going to love Buffalo which has barely a quarter of a million people (though over a million in the larger area).

I always come back to this.  If Winnipeg being a fishbowl made it hard for Kane to escape negative things happening, why was he the only guy out of 20+ players who had that problem? 

The Big Show guys were talking about how they think Buffalo will realise they made a mistake on Kane within a couple of years.  Im not sure.  They will treat him like royalty and build the team around him.  He will be the number one guy, number one PP guy etc.  He will likely do what he wants, when he wants.  And if the team wins, they will roll with it.  If they team doesnt win...then they will have problems.  I dont see Kane suddenly changing who he is, but the Sabres will change to accomadate him.

The Big Show guys were talking about how they think Buffalo will realise they made a mistake on Kane within a couple of years.  Im not sure.  They will treat him like royalty and build the team around him.  He will be the number one guy, number one PP guy etc.  He will likely do what he wants, when he wants.  And if the team wins, they will roll with it.  If they team doesnt win...then they will have problems.  I dont see Kane suddenly changing who he is, but the Sabres will change to accomadate him.

Whomever they get in the draft between Eichel or McDavid will be the guy the team is built around and get the treatment you're describing. Kane will be #2 on that team to a rookie and will probably be shipped out again if he can't get along with their new superstar.

Whomever they get in the draft between Eichel or McDavid will be the guy the team is built around and get the treatment you're describing. Kane will be #2 on that team to a rookie and will probably be shipped out again if he can't get along with their new superstar.

They hope so anyway.

So you think bringing in Stafford was a mistake too and he should be traded? You think only top teams with very real chances of winning the cup should add talent?

I'm glad you're not our GM. ;)

Stafford was completely different than trading for a rental player.  Stafford was one of five pieces the Jets acquired in that trade.  If they had traded a first or second round pick straight up for Stafford - a traditional trade deadline deal - I would have been strongly opposed to that.

Instead of giving up pieces of the future like picks or prospects (Kasdorf had no future here), they acquired two prospects and a pick.  What they gave up was two players with fixed term and salary.

The reason players like Stafford are called rental players is because teams give up something of value for 3 months of their time, after which they are gone and the team is left with less than what they started.  Unless they win the cup.  In 3 months time the Jets will still have more than what they started with, even if Stafford doesn't stay.  In the mean time he fills holes created by injuries.  He isn't a rental player, he is a bonus on top of the other players we'll keep as part of this deal.

So you think bringing in Stafford was a mistake too and he should be traded? You think only top teams with very real chances of winning the cup should add talent?

I'm glad you're not our GM. ;)

Stafford was completely different than trading for a rental player.  Stafford was one of five pieces the Jets acquired in that trade.  If they had traded a first or second round pick straight up for Stafford - a traditional trade deadline deal - I would have been strongly opposed to that.

Instead of giving up pieces of the future like picks or prospects (Kasdorf had no future here), they acquired two prospects and a pick.  What they gave up was two players with fixed term and salary.

The reason players like Stafford are called rental players is because teams give up something of value for 3 months of their time, after which they are gone and the team is left with less than what they started.  Unless they win the cup.  In 3 months time the Jets will still have more than what they started with, even if Stafford doesn't stay.  In the mean time he fills holes created by injuries.  He isn't a rental player, he is a bonus on top of the other players we'll keep as part of this deal.

Rentals are UFA's traded to teams that think they have a chance to win the cup.