Next: Who is going to FA, who is not .... Priorities

BigBlue

Everyone seems so unsure of what the market for American receivers is going to be. 200k seems to be a nice round number that people have picked out, but the reality is the benchmark for the new rate with the SMS hike has already been set when Denmark signed his new deal. He became a top 10 paid receiver in the league with that deal and he's not making 200k. He's making a bit less than Nick Moore, if I remember correctly.

So a guy like EJax (or Ellingson or Chiles, who I'd use as comps) will not make anywhere near that.

My take on free agency is this.

We'll be in on SirVincent Rogers / Stanley Bryant with the hopes of getting one of them.

We'll be in on Tyler Holmes / Ben Heenan with the hopes of getting both of them.

We'll be in on a receiver IF the market is reasonable and I bet it'd be one of our later signings.

We'll be in on Canadian talents (Watt, Tonye-Tonye, Hurl, Sinopoli, Rwabukamba, MacDougall) if we feel those guys are a fair upgrade-to-dollar value deal.

The last thing we MAY target is a MLB, but I feel like if they aren't able to land Taylor Reed, they'll go to camp with an open competition.

My prediction?

We get one of Holmes/Heenan, one of Rogers/Bryant and end up making one or two other signings, one of which will likely be a "fly under the radar" type like Dan DePalma.

True but he still probably gets 200k this year

Sinopoli starting to look like the best value signing imo

there's absolutely no way. zero

In a world where Marcel Desjardins is allowed to run a football team, never say never.

But yes, no other sane GM would pay that.

Sinopoli in a Bomber uniform...hmm.  I am not opposed.

As joe Mack says, everyone overpays in free agency - green and dressler will set new bar at 250 for imports

Not saying Jackson is worth it but I think he gets 175-200 range at least in year one, he's the flashy name this year

How do you figure? Aside from this forum, I've read VERY little of him. I don't think the rest of the CFL community is in love with his 5 game stretch as you appear to be.

Jackson is a lump in with the second tier of receivers that will hit free agency this year. That doesn't earn 200k.

Hey I would way rather have tasker

Jackson came on strong at the end and has or had nfl rumours - not as good but similar to Moore - potential is there

Ellingson chiles bowling - these guys barely played...

we'll find out soon enough - if we pick up a receiver I'd rather get Lawrence or chiles anyway

I think we will only sign 2 or maybe 3 FA's this year and Picard is one of them.  That means just one or two more.  

I'm hoping for another NI OL upgrade.  Heenan would be my, and everyone else's, first choice.  If we got no one else in FA, I'd still be very happy.  Holmes would be my second choice.  

Although I don't like to use Free Agency for imports, I'd spend on Stanley Bryant as he'd be a huge upgrade for our O line and he can play either tackle spot.

Donny O for the right price and Chris Rwabukamba would also be on my radar.  

As joe Mack says, everyone overpays in free agency - green and dressler will set new bar at 250 for imports

Not saying Jackson is worth it but I think he gets 175-200 range at least in year one, he's the flashy name this year

How do you figure? Aside from this forum, I've read VERY little of him. I don't think the rest of the CFL community is in love with his 5 game stretch as you appear to be.

Jackson is a lump in with the second tier of receivers that will hit free agency this year. That doesn't earn 200k.

I agree. Even with a Desjardins in the league I doubt his salary is anywhere near 200k, and of probably more importance, I doubt his expectations are anywhere near that. I think the team that signs him will get him in the 120-140k range.

I think we will only sign 2 or maybe 3 FA's this year and Picard is one of them.  That means just one or two more.  

I'm hoping for another NI OL upgrade.  Heenan would be my, and everyone else's, first choice.  If we got no one else in FA, I'd still be very happy.  Holmes would be my second choice.  

Although I don't like to use Free Agency for imports, I'd spend on Stanley Bryant as he'd be a huge upgrade for our O line and he can play either tackle spot.

I would take Donny O at the right price as well. Solid journeyman depth.

Is Donny O that good or is that a reverse home town discount? I know he is or was a big boy. I had brunch with him when he played for the bombers and he really filled out a sweater. But is he really that good of a player? 

With regard to Heenan signing here...He works a farm in Sask. and is very family oriented. Moving one province over would be an advantage, other than living in Sask. itself.  Seeing as Cal. will most likely not be in the running for an o lineman, we will be certainly a consideration. I think if Heenan doesn't make it in the nfl and Walters can come up with the right cash, I can see Ben being very interested in signing here.  We shall see in about 19 days.

There have been rumblings that Heenan thinks he gave the Riders a hometown discount last time and is unwilling to do so again. Purely speculation of course but it has been mentioned in the Regina media. Not sure he would leave the Riders over a minimal salary difference but indications are that the salary gap between the two offers does not need to be whopping either.

I could see Heenan signing a one or even two year contract somewhere else just on principle and telling Taman to give him a call in a couple years when he has dismissed the notion of a hometown discount. Might be worth his while to do so.

Is Donny O that good or is that a reverse home town discount? I know he is or was a big boy. I had brunch with him when he played for the bombers and he really filled out a sweater. But is he really that good of a player? 

No, he is not that good of a player that he will demand big money. He is rock solid depth though. The fact he is a hometown boy really doesn't factor into that.

Hope the Bombers don't waste money pursuing a receiver in F.A.. The price being paid in the CFL has gotten out of hand lately in that dept. and there is a hefty supply of them available every year. Just need to bring 5 or 6 good candidates to camp and chances are decent that one could be a diamond. Plus I don't see this as being a weak point on the current squad, other problems run deeper. I hope to see a re-newed and improved Drew Willy demonstrating that he actually learned something from his 2014 beat down.

No way we sink money into another receiver. We needed to make a big splash last off season to prove to players/agents we would spend money. We tried going after Butler but lost out, Moore was an awesome consolation prize who tragically ended up being injured most of the season.

We're going to go hard after Heenan for sure, and probably check the potential of Holmes and Bryant as well.

I hope the Bombers will go hard after Ernest Jackson.

From an SMS perspective he may give us the most bang for the buck.

Willy can't complete passes to even the best route runners if he has no time to throw the ball. Fix the OL and CanCon first, and Moore, Denmark, Watson, and whoever else they field will be more than dangerous enough that we don't need to add a receiver.

The best laid plans...

Just because we want Heenan and Holmes does not mean we will get Heenan and Holmes. Even if Walters does everything right. Free agency is the rare time players have the power. There will be 9 teams interested in these guys, and maybe outside of Montreal and Calgary, they will all be offering buckets of cash.

And seemingly lost on the internet, players are actually humans, not just commodities. Maybe Holmes has been anxiously waiting his rookie contract out so he can finally move home to Ottawa and be closer to his sick grandmother or something like that. Maybe Heenan is sick of the prairies after living here his whole life and doesn't want to move just one province over, maybe he wants to live in Vancouver and spend his winters skiing, cause why not do it while he's young, these opportunities come around once or twice in a lifetime? Free agency isn't just an auction with players going to the highest bidder.

So anyways, say we set aside approx half a million just to go after those guys and land neither, then what? Have a money bonfire? Sign Hurl for $400,000 just because he's a NI who kinda sorta could start, or if nothing else has totally bitchin hair?

Of course plan A and B should be chasing after NI Olinemen, but if plan A and B don't work out through no fault of our own, is having a plan C that includes bringing in another premier receiver for our young QB to target such a terrible idea? I don't think it is.

And the notion that we can't bring in a top grade receiver AND a guy like Heenan is nonsense. Josh Bourke isn't making chicken feed in Montreal, or Perrette and the rest of that Oline, and Popp said they offered SJ Green enough money to make him the highest non-QB player in the league. There is room in the salary cap to afford lots of talented players on the same team.

Why do people keep forgetting that we have signed a big time receiver on a big contract and that signing two big time contracts at receiver seems far fetched when the o line sucks?

Hope the Bombers don't waste money pursuing a receiver in F.A.. The price being paid in the CFL has gotten out of hand lately in that dept. and there is a hefty supply of them available every year. Just need to bring 5 or 6 good candidates to camp and chances are decent that one could be a diamond. Plus I don't see this as being a weak point on the current squad, other problems run deeper. I hope to see a re-newed and improved Drew Willy demonstrating that he actually learned something from his 2014 beat down.

No way we sink money into another receiver. We needed to make a big splash last off season to prove to players/agents we would spend money. We tried going after Butler but lost out, Moore was an awesome consolation prize who tragically ended up being injured most of the season.

We're going to go hard after Heenan for sure, and probably check the potential of Holmes and Bryant as well.

I hope the Bombers will go hard after Ernest Jackson.

From an SMS perspective he may give us the most bang for the buck.

Willy can't complete passes to even the best route runners if he has no time to throw the ball. Fix the OL and CanCon first, and Moore, Denmark, Watson, and whoever else they field will be more than dangerous enough that we don't need to add a receiver.

The best laid plans...

Just because we want Heenan and Holmes does not mean we will get Heenan and Holmes. Even if Walters does everything right. Free agency is the rare time players have the power. There will be 9 teams interested in these guys, and maybe outside of Montreal and Calgary, they will all be offering buckets of cash.

And seemingly lost on the internet, players are actually humans, not just commodities. Maybe Holmes has been anxiously waiting his rookie contract out so he can finally move home to Ottawa and be closer to his sick grandmother or something like that. Maybe Heenan is sick of the prairies after living here his whole life and doesn't want to move just one province over, maybe he wants to live in Vancouver and spend his winters skiing, cause why not do it while he's young, these opportunities come around once or twice in a lifetime? Free agency isn't just an auction with players going to the highest bidder.

So anyways, say we set aside approx half a million just to go after those guys and land neither, then what? Have a money bonfire? Sign Hurl for $400,000 just because he's a NI who kinda sorta could start, or if nothing else has totally bitchin hair?

Of course plan A and B should be chasing after NI Olinemen, but if plan A and B don't work out through no fault of our own, is having a plan C that includes bringing in another premier receiver for our young QB to target such a terrible idea? I don't think it is.

And the notion that we can't bring in a top grade receiver AND a guy like Heenan is nonsense. Josh Bourke isn't making chicken feed in Montreal, or Perrette and the rest of that Oline, and Popp said they offered SJ Green enough money to make him the highest non-QB player in the league. There is room in the salary cap to afford lots of talented players on the same team.

Why do people keep forgetting that we have signed a big time receiver on a big contract and that signing two big time contracts at receiver seems far fetched when the o line sucks?

We already have two.

The Oline sucks, therefore if we can't improve that we should not improve anything else either?

Boy, I hope Walters also deals in absolutes.  Just keep calling Heenan and Holmes, over and over.  And what to do if they both go somewhere else?

Shut down the office.  Call it a day.  There is only one thing to try and do this offseason.

I believe Walters when he says he intends to be aggressive in free agency.

That, to me, means a high profile O-Lineman, or even two.

They've said they've been rostering the roster with the scouts and the Canadian draft brain trust.

This means short term for Imports but a longer term for NIs.

They've identified areas of need.

If they've already identified some potential receiver help, then maybe we only go 2nd tier receiver, a la Jackson or Chiles, or maybe they do that anyway.

And I agree with those who believe we'll go after a strong NI player, other than O-Line, to add to our NI depth and strength.

This is going to be one of our most look-forward-to free agency ventures in a long time.

3 or 4 players, determined, of course, by who gets whom first.

It's easy to say that we won't land Heenan because the Bombers are historically cheap asses, and because the Riders love keeping their homegrowns.

The reality is that the new regime's #1 focus is on improving the WBB's CanCon, and #1b is on fixing the OL.  With Heenan, that's 2 birds with one stone, and I really think they'll spend to the cap to do it for a marquee NI lineman.  The other reality is that with Heenan expected to draw top-of-market offers for an OL... there's only so much cap magic the Riders can weave. 

They dropped Picard. That should free up some cash.

The Riders want to re-sign Heenan, Dressler and Brackenridge and dumping Picard's salary isn't going to free up enough cash to re-sign all three. It's pretty well known that the Riders are in SMS trouble.

Hey I would way rather have tasker

He's already re-signed with the Ticats according to Drew Edwards.

Everyone seems so unsure of what the market for American receivers is going to be. 200k seems to be a nice round number that people have picked out, but the reality is the benchmark for the new rate with the SMS hike has already been set when Denmark signed his new deal. He became a top 10 paid receiver in the league with that deal and he's not making 200k. He's making a bit less than Nick Moore, if I remember correctly.

So a guy like EJax (or Ellingson or Chiles, who I'd use as comps) will not make anywhere near that.

My take on free agency is this.

We'll be in on SirVincent Rogers / Stanley Bryant with the hopes of getting one of them.

We'll be in on Tyler Holmes / Ben Heenan with the hopes of getting both of them.

We'll be in on a receiver IF the market is reasonable and I bet it'd be one of our later signings.

We'll be in on Canadian talents (Watt, Tonye-Tonye, Hurl, Sinopoli, Rwabukamba, MacDougall) if we feel those guys are a fair upgrade-to-dollar value deal.

The last thing we MAY target is a MLB, but I feel like if they aren't able to land Taylor Reed, they'll go to camp with an open competition.

My prediction?

We get one of Holmes/Heenan, one of Rogers/Bryant and end up making one or two other signings, one of which will likely be a "fly under the radar" type like Dan DePalma.

Getting Heenan and Bryant would give us the best set of OT's since 2007. I think/hope we get a good WR as well, if we did that our offence would rival the one of 07 in my mind.

I also wouldn't mind Marcellous back at WILL at the right price. But I'm not sure that happens...

If we can get one of SirVincent Rodgers, Tyler Holmes, Ben Heenan, Stanley Bryant, AND a legit WR3 like Chiles I'll call free agency a success for Walters.  There's a decent chance we get none of those OL's, so anything more than that is gravy.

I don't get the fascination with tying up 2nd WR money on a 3rd import WR in free agency, unless we're going 4 imports at receiver.  And we can't do that unless we go at least 4 NI's on our OL.

If we can protect the QB with 4+ NI's on our OL, AND play 4 import wideouts, we'll be amazing this year.

If we can get one of SirVincent Rodgers, Tyler Holmes, Ben Heenan, Stanley Bryant, AND a legit WR3 like Chiles I'll call free agency a success for Walters.  There's a decent chance we get none of those OL's, so anything more than that is gravy.

I don't get the fascination with tying up 2nd WR money on a 3rd import WR in free agency, unless we're going 4 imports at receiver.  And we can't do that unless we go at least 4 NI's on our OL.

If we can protect the QB with 4+ NI's on our OL, AND play 4 import wideouts, we'll be amazing this year.

I doubt Ellingson or Chiles would command very much coin. Neither of them hit 1000 yards and both are import receivers. 

I doubt Ellingson or Chiles would command very much coin. Neither of them hit 1000 yards and both are import receivers. 

And if we nab Heenan, and can start Heenan, Greaves, Picard, and Neufeld/Goossen on our OL this year; I'd love Chiles/Ellingson.  Just saying that in a world where we've got to start 2 NI's at receiver, I just don't love the idea of tying up cash on something that is probably #5 or lower on our list of priorities behind the OL, Canadian Content, an effective MLB, and a pass rusher.

No one is fascinated with tying up money on an import receiver.  We're just acknowledging the possibility that we're not in control during free agency, the players are, and we are not guaranteed to get what we want.

So if that doesn't go our way, what is our next course of action:

a ) status quo, and leave $500,000 in the account for upgrades to Captain Blue's airplane?

b ) spend the money to improve a different position?

c ) make Greg Peach the highest paid DE in the league?

There is not a single Bomber fan in the world who is arguing to spend money on receivers OVER the Oline.  Not a one.

No one is fascinated with tying up money on an import receiver. We're just acknowledging the possibility that we're not in control during free agency, the players are, and we are not guaranteed to get what we want.

So if that doesn't go our way, what is our next course of action:

a ) status quo, and leave $500,000 in the account for upgrades to Captain Blue's airplane?

b ) spend the money to improve a different position?

c ) make Greg Peach the highest paid DE in the league?

There is not a single Bomber fan in the world who is arguing to spend money on receivers OVER the Oline. Not a one.

Exactly. It's not like we dictate who signs here. Free agency is a crap shoot. And I didn't list MLB because I don't really see any becoming available in free agency. I suspect we will be upgrading their through the scouting route.