[Blue Bomber Talk] Early thoughts on 2015 CFL Draft

Mike

With both Heenan and Holmes off the table to all practical intents, and our desperate need for O-linemen, I can't see Walters looking past a O-line potential starter in the first round.

Heenan off the table? Check this out.... Taman boldly says he won't lose him to another CFL team but then at the end the actual truth comes out when he says Heenan is a hard guy to read & has no idea what is going to happen in 10 days. Taman may sign Heenan but as of yesterday he didn't sound too confident. Interesting to see that Brendan must've rolled out of bed a half hour before & didn't shave or shower for that presser.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/battle+Heenan/10775146/story.html

Heenan off the table????? Did we miss something cuz last I looked, with 10 days to go, he's still an fa. 'All practical intents' mean nothing unless you have a players signature on a contract. Holmes yes, but with regard to Heenan so far, that hasn't happened. The statement from O'Day that Heenan will go till Feb. 10th., doesn't sound like a sure thing he'll be in Regina. We shall soon find out.

Walters said this week that he thinks there is going to be a run on Oline guys in first round. Said mostly due to fact that the last few drafts have been really weak Oline drafts teams will be looking to stock up. As a result there will be a few really talent skill position guys that will fall.

Yeah, I figure OL at #2, depending on who falls, OL at #11 and then BPA at 15.

Heenan off the table????? Did we miss something cuz last I looked, with 10 days to go, he's still an fa. 'All practical intents' mean nothing unless you have a players signature on a contract. Holmes yes, but with regard to Heenan so far, that hasn't happened. The statement from O'Day that Heenan will go till Feb. 10th., doesn't sound like a sure thing he'll be in Regina. We shall soon find out.

I am still convinced that if Heenan is in the CFL, it will be in Regina. Saskabushers deify all of their homeboy athletes.

Top 10 free agents out there still if I'm Walters:

10. Greg Ellingson - Could be a very thrifty move to upgrade the WR3 spot in our offense.
9. Joe Eppele - If he's interested in continuing on with a football career, Eppele would be an immediate contender to earn reps at RG in 2015.
8. Sam Hurl - Depth Canadian who Richie Hall will be familiar with ... may be given an opportunity to earn more reps in Winnipeg.
7. Johnny Sears - He may be a current Bomber, but in one week he'll be a free agent and he's still a priority to bring back if willing.
6. Brad Sinopoli/Sam Giguere - You can go with either receiver in this case, both are suspected to be looking east of the Manitoba/Ontario border for employment close to home, but if not, could be a solid add as a starting Canadian
5. SirVincent Rogers - if the other option is off the table at LT, Rogers would be a great add to our line. An immediate improvement at the most important spot in the trenches.
4. Ernest Jackson - Built in chemistry from their days at the University of Buffalo, you can believe Drew Willy would be thrilled to have Jackson as the third import receiver in our offense.
3. Greg Wojt - Right guard was a position of inconsistency for us last year and if Wojt can return to the form he had as a starter in 2013 coming off injury, it would be a strong move to improve the offensive line.
2. Taylor Reed - Kyle Walters actually gave Reed his start in the CFL - could be a good bet to return back to Winnipeg in the middle of Richie Hall's defense.
1. Stanley Bryant - Probably pound for pound the best offensive lineman in the entire CFL, he's a 28 year old import who is just hitting his prime and has been the model of consistency since entering the league. He's been overlooked by many fans around here because he's not Canadian but he would have the biggest impact on our franchise next year for sure if he became our left tackle.

Honorable mention: Rennie Curran, Nik Lewis, Spencer Watt

Nice list Mike.  Makes me wonder why Bryant hasn't yet re-signed with the Stamps.  Anyone know his situation?? 

Not sure I agree we have a need at RG.  I expect Neufeld and Goossen (and possibly Morley) to battle for that spot this year, so I don't really see a need for Eppele or Wojt.  I see our biggest needs at LT and RT...right now I see Daniels and Tyler in those two spots, with the hope of obviously upgrading through free agency or trades.

And I just can't see Nik Lewis in a Bomber uniform. I suspect his playing career is over.

Nice list Mike.  Makes me wonder why Bryant hasn't yet re-signed with the Stamps.  Anyone know his situation?? 

Not sure I agree we have a need at RG.  I expect Neufeld and Goossen (and possibly Morley) to battle for that spot this year, so I don't really see a need for Eppele or Wojt.  I see our biggest needs at LT and RT...right now I see Daniels and Tyler in those two spots, with the hope of obviously upgrading through free agency or trades.

And I just can't see Nik Lewis in a Bomber uniform. I suspect his playing career is over.

Some guys just want to test free agency. Makes sense, they want to get paid. Especially as an American with limited earning potential up here.

As for a right guard ... nothing wrong with Neufeld, but he's a bit injury prone. It's important, in my opinion, to have guys to push guys for internal competition and Wojt (less so Eppele) is a difference maker when healthy.

From Ridley Scouting:

A late addition to the 2015 CFL Draft Class is another Michigan State player as Matthew Rea got his National station approved. Rea is a blocking back that previously lined up as a defensive lineman at Penn. Looking forward to how he tests compared to other H-Back/TE options for the this year’s draft.

It’s been reported that all CFL teams will be in attendance at the National Scouting Combine in College Park, Maryland this weekend. Put on by the Beyond Sports Network, these guys strive to give options to NCAA Division 2 and 3 athletes.

10. Greg Ellingson - Could be a very thrifty move to upgrade the WR3 spot in our offense.

9. Joe Eppele - If he's interested in continuing on with a football career, Eppele would be an immediate contender to earn reps at RG in 2015.

8. Sam Hurl - Depth Canadian who Richie Hall will be familiar with ... may be given an opportunity to earn more reps in Winnipeg.

7. Johnny Sears - He may be a current Bomber, but in one week he'll be a free agent and he's still a priority to bring back if willing.

6. Brad Sinopoli/Sam Giguere - You can go with either receiver in this case, both are suspected to be looking east of the Manitoba/Ontario border for employment close to home, but if not, could be a solid add as a starting Canadian

5. SirVincent Rogers - if the other option is off the table at LT, Rogers would be a great add to our line. An immediate improvement at the most important spot in the trenches.

4. Ernest Jackson - Built in chemistry from their days at the University of Buffalo, you can believe Drew Willy would be thrilled to have Jackson as the third import receiver in our offense.

3. Greg Wojt - Right guard was a position of inconsistency for us last year and if Wojt can return to the form he had as a starter in 2013 coming off injury, it would be a strong move to improve the offensive line.

2. Taylor Reed - Kyle Walters actually gave Reed his start in the CFL - could be a good bet to return back to Winnipeg in the middle of Richie Hall's defense.

1. Stanley Bryant - Probably pound for pound the best offensive lineman in the entire CFL, he's a 28 year old import who is just hitting his prime and has been the model of consistency since entering the league. He's been overlooked by many fans around here because he's not Canadian but he would have the biggest impact on our franchise next year for sure if he became our left tackle.

No interest in Brian Peters from the Riders?

No interest in Brian Peters from the Riders?

He's a guy I could see us signing because of his ties to Hall. 

From Ridley Scouting:

A late addition to the 2015 CFL Draft Class is another Michigan State player as Matthew Rea got his National station approved. Rea is a blocking back that previously lined up as a defensive lineman at Penn. Looking forward to how he tests compared to other H-Back/TE options for the this year’s draft.

It’s been reported that all CFL teams will be in attendance at the National Scouting Combine in College Park, Maryland this weekend. Put on by the Beyond Sports Network, these guys strive to give options to NCAA Division 2 and 3 athletes.

I guess this basically summarizes... but I'm wondering if Rids can provide a comparable or where he projects to be drafted?? 

From Ridley Scouting:

I guess this basically summarizes... but I'm wondering if Rids can provide a comparable or where he projects to be drafted?? 

Too early to judge where to place him in the draft, I need more info. He's got a lot of options as he originally went to Penn as a DL and played as a freshman there. Transferred to Michigan State and also shifted to offense. As a blocker he's a throw back fullback. Makes great plays on the linebackers to open up running lanes. If a coach was interested in running a big formation especially in red zone moments he'd fit right into that. 

On the plus side I'll have an interview with him in the Guide. 

From Ridley Scouting:

Too early to judge where to place him in the draft, I need more info. He's got a lot of options as he originally went to Penn as a DL and played as a freshman there. Transferred to Michigan State and also shifted to offense. As a blocker he's a throw back fullback. Makes great plays on the linebackers to open up running lanes. If a coach was interested in running a big formation especially in red zone moments he'd fit right into that. 

On the plus side I'll have an interview with him in the Guide. 

If he goes to the combine, it'll be a good opportunity for him to show where he fits best. The Bombers need a guy like that though, Pontbriand is getting up there in age.

In talking with him today he will be at the Toronto Regional Combine as well as the Michigan State Pro Day. 

CFL scouts will be at the Michigan State Pro Day to see Matt Rea, James Bodanis for sure. Gives them an extra edge on seeing what they can do. Both are heavy on potential and upside but low on on field film. 

• 2 weeks later...

His size is a major hurdle. We've seen many top CIS receivers of the same size and ilk with better stats get bypassed on Draft day. (Kevin Costner trademark not withstanding) 

The CIS all time record holder for receptions is CA Sinotte with 251 career receptions, no CFL options. 

His size is a major hurdle. We've seen many top CIS receivers of the same size and ilk with better stats get bypassed on Draft day. (Kevin Costner trademark not withstanding) 

The CIS all time record holder for receptions is CA Sinotte with 251 career receptions, no CFL options. 

Is he really that small?  He's listed at 5'10 between 180-190.  Unless he is exceptionally slow, he'll get a good shot.  

Is he really that small?  He's listed at 5'10 between 180-190.  Unless he is exceptionally slow, he'll get a good shot.  

His high school height was listed at 5'6".