[Blue Bomber Talk] Early thoughts on 2015 CFL Draft

Mike

(Ameet Pall who Calgary released to add to their PR signed with Montreal a day later)

That's not what happened with Pall though. He was injured during TC and the Stamps didn't want to put him on their IR. They released him and told him to come back when his injury healed. He signed with Montreal and they put him on their IR.

Not entirely. The Stamps had a handshake deal that they would take care of his rehab costs in Calgary where they could keep tabs on his progression. There was some thought that by putting him on the 9 game IR (it was 1 or 9 game at the time) they'd have to use one of their recall passes to get him back on the roster vs leaving him off and then being able to add him directly. He took a IR spot in Montreal over the uncertainty of the Calgary handshake. 

Personally, I'm with gbill's list.

Groulx, Waud or Durant would be good with me.

Pre-combine of course.

Mateas isn't going to the CFL Combine. Interesting move. Going to showcase at the UConn Pro Day instead.

Several NCAA Pro Days are that same weekend. UNLV is as well which means Shaq Lawrence likely won't be in Toronto either. 

That's a tough question. I'd probably first look to trade down a couple spots. If I could get the #5 or 6 pick plus a WR prospect that I liked I'd make that deal. 

If I was stuck with #2 & #11 this is what I'd do:

#2 - Jacob Ruby (OT, Richmond) or Daryl Waud (DT, Western) based on who impressed the most during the evaluation session. At this point leaning towards Waud based on his potential to play DT or OG vs Ruby's potential to play OG or RT. 

#11 - Campbell Allison (OL, EMU). Campbell started at every position on the line and potentially could even be a Bomben type that could line up as a TE in goalline situations. 

#20 - Chris Ackie (DB, Laurier). I'm not totally sold on this pick yet but he's a talent and would not be out of place at the 20th pick. 

If I could get another pick in the top 15 then I'd look at Blair Smith (LB, Angelo State). 

I have done that in the past on my website, this year I'm trying to change the draft part of the site to make reading it easier. Need to change from iWeb which is so limiting but easy to use over to WordPress. I'm not a big fan of WordPress but I think I can tailor it to make searching for things easier. 

That's a tough question. I'd probably first look to trade down a couple spots. If I could get the #5 or 6 pick plus a WR prospect that I liked I'd make that deal. 

#2 - Jacob Ruby (OT, Richmond) or Daryl Waud (DT, Western) based on who impressed the most during the evaluation session. At this point leaning towards Waud based on his potential to play DT or OG vs Ruby's potential to play OG or RT. 

#11 - Campbell Allison (OL, EMU). Campbell started at every position on the line and potentially could even be a Bomben type that could line up as a TE in goalline situations. 

#20 - Chris Ackie (DB, Laurier). I'm not totally sold on this pick yet but he's a talent and would not be out of place at the 20th pick. 

If I could get another pick in the top 15 then I'd look at Blair Smith (LB, Angelo State). 

That was my train of thought as well. In a draft as deep as this one we should try maximize the number of picks we have in the first 3 rounds.

why do you like Ruby over Groulx?

Several reasons why I prefer him, the biggest being experience. Jacob made 46 consecutive starts on the Richmond offensive line in 47 total games there. Plus redshirted a year there and played two seasons at Fork Union. So comparing the two directly Jacob has prepared for 65 to 70 games since high school while Danny Groulx's number should be 46 games at the post-secondary level even with his multiple trips to the Vanier Cup. 

He also played as a tight end his first year at Fork Union and was All-State so he's got the edge athletically. 

Several reasons why I prefer him, the biggest being experience. Jacob made 46 consecutive starts on the Richmond offensive line in 47 total games there. Plus redshirted a year there and played two seasons at Fork Union. So comparing the two directly Jacob has prepared for 65 to 70 games since high school while Danny Groulx's number should be 46 games at the post-secondary level even with his multiple trips to the Vanier Cup. 

He also played as a tight end his first year at Fork Union and was All-State so he's got the edge athletically. 

It is my preference to formulate strongly-held opinions with as little real information as possible, including who the Bombers ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT EXCEPTION MUST DRAFT AT NUMBER TWO OR THEY ARE RUINING THE FRANCHISE!!! (trademark pending), and will vehemently shout down anyone who offers an opinion contrary to mine, so if you don't mind, your so-called "knowlege" has no place here.

Harumph.

It is my preference to formulate strongly-held opinions with as little real information as possible, including who the Bombers ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT EXCEPTION MUST DRAFT AT NUMBER TWO OR THEY ARE RUINING THE FRANCHISE!!! (trademark pending), and will vehemently shout down anyone who offers an opinion contrary to mine, so if you don't mind, your so-called "knowlege" has no place here.

Harumph.

Did 17 hack your profile?  :D

interesting... I know absolutely nothing about Ruby, so thats why I asked. Thanks Rids

Quinn Everett was a 6th Round 47th overall pick in 2014 and went through much of the evaluation period as a DL. 

I suspect that given both his growth into the OG position and the depth of this year's group of offensive linemen that he'd likely be selected in the same neighborhood. Somewhere around 45th overall. 

There's a lot of OL this year that in many years would be top 40 selections and will drop out of that this year. Maybe as many as 18 OL drafted this year and maybe 30 total linemen taken out of the 63 selections. 

Quinn Everett was a 6th Round 47th overall pick in 2014 and went through much of the evaluation period as a DL. 

I suspect that given both his growth into the OG position and the depth of this year's group of offensive linemen that he'd likely be selected in the same neighborhood. Somewhere around 45th overall. 

There's a lot of OL this year that in many years would be top 40 selections and will drop out of that this year. Maybe as many as 18 OL drafted this year and maybe 30 total linemen taken out of the 63 selections. 

Thanks.  He won some awards this past year as an outstanding OL so I thought his value may have increased. 

Well I'd say that his value has increased but it's just a representation of how deep the position group is this year. 

Jamie Wandell was a top 5 high school recruit going to Saint Mary's 4 years ago and he'll likely be the 12th or 13th OL drafted. (his story is unique unto itself but that's for another post)

Truthfully there's just that many names this year. 

In the chaos of it all there's always the CFL-esque flipside where having so many OL available in the draft will actually push a few of these guys down the list because teams will know the gap between OL #5 and OL #8 isn't very big compared to the drop from WR #4 to WR #5 or the steps from RB #3 to RB #4 to RB #5. 

There is a thought to that of course however my eventual goal would be to use 4 of my 7 mandated Canadian starters on the OL so continuing to stock up on guys with a future there would fit that goal. That's my personal strategy.

Talking Bombers in particular: Winnipeg finished the year with Canadians starting like this:

2 R; LG, C, RG; DT, CB

Based on that alone I would say the targets of Jacob Ruby, Sukh Chung, Dillon Guy, Campbell Allison, Eddie Meredith for the OL and Daryl Waud, Kristian Lawrence and Jacob LeBlanc at DT. It also brings in the idea of Matt Isherwood or Chris Ackie for depth at the CB spot. 

Another idea for the 4th or 5th round would be getting a Canadian to long snap. Tanner Doll or Dan MacDonald become targets there. Aaron Gazendam would be an idea for the 4th round if they're looking for a big receiver at that point of the draft. The big three will be long gone but I could see Aaron still hanging around about pick #35. 

Would not surprise me to see the Bombers finish up with 3 OL and a DL from their picks this year. 

The Shrine Game’s tradition of having one Canadian player on each team is alive and well for 2015. Daryl Waud, a defensive end from the University of Western Ontario who is playing on the East roster, made a strong first impression Monday. Listed at 6’5” and 290 pounds, Waud has great length, solid athleticism and showed active hands as he gave the East’s offensive linemen trouble, especially in one-on-one drills.

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2015/01/2015-east-west-shrine-game-notes-day-1/

We could use more one young receiver too. We have no depth at that position outside of JFG who will probably have to start half of the year given Watson's injury history.

Watson is a stud when he's on the field but he's a dud when it comes to health. Same argument we had when we have Pierce in QB.

I understand the logic in trading down and acquiring more picks in a draft this deep, but if the Bombers have identified some players that they feel are can't-miss future stars, I'd rather they burn some lower picks to get another high one and not leave it up to chance.

They believed in their evaluations of Briggs and Jones enough to makes moves and get these guys rather than hope they float down to them.  If they really like Waud and Ruby, for example, or Groulx and Durant, then let's be aggressive and get those guys.  We can't get every elite player, but if there's an opportunity to seize, seize it.

So far the actions of Walters leads me to believe he will do that.

I'll take a stab at our first three picks - 1st. Waud, 2nd. Groulx, 3rd. Varga or Tavaughn Campbell!!!

With so many OL, I think first round picks end up as specialty positions... Durant, Demski, Shortill, Tennant... add a couple 'quiet' prospects that a GM or two are keying in on and you have some very nice OL talent dropping rounds in this draft

I'll take a stab at our first three picks - 1st. Waud, 2nd. Groulx, 3rd. Varga or Tavaughn Campbell!!!

With so many OL, I think first round picks end up as specialty positions... Durant, Demski, Shortill, Tennant... add a couple 'quiet' prospects that a GM or two are keying in on and you have some very nice OL talent dropping rounds in this draft

I'm not sure that Groulx would drop that far, but I agree that there should still be a good OL available at 11 if we took Waud first.

I understand the logic in trading down and acquiring more picks in a draft this deep, but if the Bombers have identified some players that they feel are can't-miss future stars, I'd rather they burn some lower picks to get another high one and not leave it up to chance.

They believed in their evaluations of Briggs and Jones enough to makes moves and get these guys rather than hope they float down to them.  If they really like Waud and Ruby, for example, or Groulx and Durant, then let's be aggressive and get those guys.  We can't get every elite player, but if there's an opportunity to seize, seize it.

So far the actions of Walters leads me to believe he will do that.

I agree with this idea.. if we can get two "sure things" (yes, I know that doesn't really exist) in the first or second round and we give up a couple projects in the third or fourth... I think it's worth it...