[Blue Bomber Talk] Early thoughts on 2015 CFL Draft

Mike

http://bluebombertalk.blogspot.ca/2015/01/early-thoughts-on-2015-cfl-draft.html?m=1

Though the CFL draft is still four months away (in fact, the CFL has yet to officially announce a date for the event), the release of Justin Dunk’s first mock draft inspired me to put some draft thoughts together. Though the draft strategies of the CFL’s nine teams will surely evolve as free agency concludes, trades are made, the CFL combine is undertaken, and the NFL draft takes place, here are my thoughts on the 2015 CFL draft with all current information being taken into account.

Some good in depth thoughts ... Will post opinion later. Feel free to share a comment on his blog or give him a follow on Twitter @BomberJetsTalk

Lots of Oline in the upcoming draft. A few will get NFL shots for sure tho, Boyko definitely. But, I could see how they maybe take a oline at 11 and someone else at 2. Last year they took 2 oline, Goossen at 2 and Everett much later, round 4 or later maybe? Can't recall but just because they say they plan on taking 2 OLINE, doesn't mean they need to take one in round 1 and 2. I disagree with the blog a bit, I do indeed see them going for an OLINE at 2, however, if free agency comes and they sign a guy like Holmes or let's say Heenan even, Things could possibly change. What if they sign both? Lots of variables first. Gotta see what happens in free agency, then i will probably go more in depth about what i think will happen at the draft but as things stand right now, January 10th, I do see them going Oline at 2.  If they sign Heenan or Holmes even, i could see them going after the best available DL or Receiver at 2 for sure and then grabbing that oline at 11, surely one or 2 will be there still. I also see them taking an oline later in the draft and that oline going back to school much like Quinn Everett did. 

Waud is quite the specimen, but again, what if Bilukidi or Mulumba come north.. So many variables still, draft is so far away still.. so much can happen between now and then. 

Tyler Holmes is expected to sign with Ottawa?

Yeah not sure about that one... think they blow their wad on receivers and DB

Holmes is from Ottawa. They may be able to get a home town discount.

I don't think anyone signs in Ottawa unless they're being severely overpaid - I could easily be wrong but i'd expect Holmes to get a huge deal if that's true.

Don't agree on tackle over guard.  First of all, take the best player with consideration given to availability around the NFL.  Secondly, we don't have a surplus of interior guys.  Picard and Morley are just about done, Greaves is coming off a horrendous season and Neufeld can't stay healthy, Goossen looks ready to play centre.  If two guys were equal, but I was sure one would be able to play guard vs a guy who'd have to adjust to the speed of the CFL to be a tackle (basically everyone available would), I'm taking the guard.

So, who should the Bombers take? As far as I’m concerned, there are three legitimate options. With the retirement of Ryan Lucas, Western’s DT Daryl Waud would appear to be the perfect choice at second overall. At 6’5, 285 pounds, Waud (whose highlight video can be found here) is considered by many to be a CFL-ready defensive lineman. The Bombers have to start a national player at defensive tackle to make their ratio work and drafting Waud could lock up that position for the next decade.

I like this.

Don't agree on tackle over guard. First of all, take the best player with consideration given to availability around the NFL. Secondly, we don't have a surplus of interior guys. Picard and Morley are just about done, Greaves is coming off a horrendous season and Neufeld can't stay healthy, Goossen looks ready to play centre. If two guys were equal, but I was sure one would be able to play guard vs a guy who'd have to adjust to the speed of the CFL to be a tackle (basically everyone available would), I'm taking the guard.

You've finally lost it. Morley may be nearing the end and we can see that Neufeld has trouble staying healthy, other than that you couldn't be more wrong. Picard is still a top 3 centre in the league (Brett Jones will be NFL next year, other two in the top 3 would be Luc B-J and Jeff Keeping) and doesn't appear to be close to letting that go. As far as Goossen being ready to start.... are you kidding??? Did you actually watch him play? He needs more time, how much more time will depend on how he has grown this offseason. But he's not there yet. And to say Greaves is coming off a horrendous season is a joke. He wasn't great but in my opinion he was our most consistent OL last year. Time to re-evaluate your opinion JBR because I don't know where you're getting this stuff.

As the Bombers first pick, I'm liking Groulx, Waud or Durant.  As others have mentioned, a lot will depend on free agency (i.e. if we get Heenan than maybe no need for Groulx).  Either way, looks like a lot of OL talent in the first couple rounds.  Looks like this year the Bombers could get a Goossen-type talent at OL with their second pick. 

I'm also very interested to see what the Bombers do with Quinn Everet this season.  Hearing he had a very good season this past year.  I believe he projects as a guard.   

Don't agree on tackle over guard. First of all, take the best player with consideration given to availability around the NFL. Secondly, we don't have a surplus of interior guys. Picard and Morley are just about done, Greaves is coming off a horrendous season and Neufeld can't stay healthy, Goossen looks ready to play centre. If two guys were equal, but I was sure one would be able to play guard vs a guy who'd have to adjust to the speed of the CFL to be a tackle (basically everyone available would), I'm taking the guard.

You've finally lost it. Morley may be nearing the end and we can see that Neufeld has trouble staying healthy, other than that you couldn't be more wrong. Picard is still a top 3 centre in the league (Brett Jones will be NFL next year, other two in the top 3 would be Luc B-J and Jeff Keeping) and doesn't appear to be close to letting that go. As far as Goossen being ready to start.... are you kidding??? Did you actually watch him play? He needs more time, how much more time will depend on how he has grown this offseason. But he's not there yet. And to say Greaves is coming off a horrendous season is a joke. He wasn't great but in my opinion he was our most consistent OL last year. Time to re-evaluate your opinion JBR because I don't know where you're getting this stuff.

I wouldn't say Greaves had a horrendous year, but I'd say his spot is not locked up... the guy certainly didn't impress anyone. And Neufeld is a Tackle first IMO. his a finess type that has good technique, But fails to get good push against the bigger stronger DT's on the interior. 

Picard is way over rated, and Goosen won't make a good Guard. as an injury fill in, sure he's adequate.

We have way to many failed Tackles turned interior OL on this team, and it really showed last year. Why should we add another?

If there are no good Guards worthy of number 2 overall, then go with Varga, Demski, Durant, or Waud and draft a good Guard at number 11.

Only way we shouldn't pick a Guard this year in the draft is if we land one of Holmes or Heenan... and we are not the first destination for either of those guys it appears.

I thought a lot of Greaves struggles were due to playing beside January and having him get beat like a rented mule game in and game out.

There was a bit of that, struggling to find a block that could be attributed to poor work by the line as a whole.  But Greaves just got plain beat physically and knocked right into the backfield far too often.  Major regression from what he had shown the previous couple seasons.

As far as Goossen being ready to start.... are you kidding??? Did you actually watch him play? He needs more time, how much more time will depend on how he has grown this offseason. But he's not there yet.

We saw Goossen at guard, and yes he can't block well enough to play there for any length of time without our QB getting killed.  That's exactly my point.  We don't have a surplus of guards or "interior" guys because at least two of those guys (Goossen and Picard) can't block consistently enough to play anywhere but centre where they won't get isolated 1 on 1 with a defensive lineman very often.