Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

and yet Taman is quoted as saying that Dressler basically signed for what he budgeted and that they won't have to dump salary. Also quoted as saying that he only wants to lose Heenan to NFL. If he stays north, they'll be "very aggressive"....how??

I'm pretty sure every GM I've heard interviewed has said they'll be "very aggressive" in free agency.

It is mathematically possible to have several highly compensated players fit under the salary cap.  People in Winnipeg have gotten used to the QB and one other guy making good coin, but other teams have realized there's room for more than that.  Probably some theories about cups won/lost can be drawn from that, but I'll have to check with my robot army first.

and yet Taman is quoted as saying that Dressler basically signed for what he budgeted and that they won't have to dump salary. Also quoted as saying that he only wants to lose Heenan to NFL. If he stays north, they'll be "very aggressive"....how??

"very aggressive" might mean throwing things around the office if Heenan doesn't sign.

"very aggressive" might mean throwing things around the office if Heenan doesn't sign.

Yep. Taman and O'Day will have a few beers, take their shirts off, and have a good old wrestling match in Taman's office.

Yep. Taman and O'Day will have a few beers, take their shirts off, and have a good old wrestling match in Taman's office.

You've just spoiled tomorrow's breakfast with that imagery.

You just spoiled tomorrow's breakfast with that image.

You're welcome :)

At RiderFans it was posted that Dressler signed for $200,000 per season with a $200,000 signing bonus.

So $1 million total?
Yes and with committing $400,000 to Dressler for this season, Taman is still saying he will be aggressive in trying to sign Heenan.

I wonder if the signing bonuses are paid out over the life of the contract, like $50,000 per season.

At RiderFans it was posted that Dressler signed for $200,000 per season with a $200,000 signing bonus.

So $1 million total?
Yes and with committing $400,000 to Dressler for this season, Taman is still saying he will be aggressive in trying to sign Heenan.
I wonder if the signing bonuses are paid out over the life of the contract, like $50,000 per season.

Nope. I asked Penton and he said one time payment to take advantage of Canadian tax laws.

So $1 million total?
Nope. I asked Penton and he said one time payment to take advantage of Canadian tax laws.

Wow. That's gotta take the Riders out of the Heenan sweepstakes. $400,000 committed to Dressler in 2015.

I just love that before the cap the Rider fans always complained that teams were going over the cap.. since the cap the Riders have been over the cap many times.. Throw in Watson's salary on top of the other high salaries how in the hell can they possibly sign Heenan back or go after any other free agent. 

According to Rider fans they will sign Heenan and be active in many of the free agents.. If Riders sign Heenan and any other high profile free agent how can the afford to sign anyone else to field a team.

I just love that before the cap the Rider fans always complained that teams were going over the cap.. since the cap the Riders have been over the cap many times.. Throw in Watson's salary on top of the other high salaries how in the hell can they possibly sign Heenan back or go after any other free agent.

According to Rider fans they will sign Heenan and be active in many of the free agents.. If Riders sign Heenan and any other high profile free agent how can the afford to sign anyone else to field a team.

The Riders are planning on playing with no QB or OL this season. Just a running back and a bunch of overpaid WRs.

I just watched Taman's interview from earlier today on the Dressler signing. Taman said Dressler's cap hit is pretty even year to year, and a little lighter in the first year. This contradicts what Penton is saying.

Do you have a link to that interview? I just watched one from the Riders website and didn't hear him say that.

I just watched Taman's interview from earlier today on the Dressler signing. Taman said Dressler's cap hit is pretty even year to year, and a little lighter in the first year. This contradicts what Penton is saying.

Do you have a link to that interview? I just watched one from the Riders website and didn't hear him say that.

The reference to the salary being evenly spread out is near the end of the interview:

The reference to the salary being evenly spread out is near the end of the interview:
He was referring to salary though. A bonus is a separate thing from salary.

Also at RiderFans it was said Labatte is getting $240,000 this season.

Edited to add: Forget the figures from RF for Dressler. Apparently it was someone just spouting off.

In an interview Taman was asked if Dressler was now the highest paid receiver and replied "maybe".

He was referring to salary though. A bonus is a separate thing from salary.

Also at RiderFans it was said Labatte is getting $240,000 this season.

Edited to add: Forget the figures from RF for Dressler. Apparently it was someone just spouting off.

In an interview Taman was asked if Dressler was now the highest paid receiver and replied "maybe".

This is the Riderville interview.  2:16 mark.  Taman was asked if Dressler was now the highest paid player on the team. While Taman was saying "no, no.." another (or the same) reporter said reciever.  Taman said "oh receiver?  Thanks for clarifying.  maybe".  

While Dressler very well could be the highest paid in the league, Taman was very clearly responding to highest paid "on the team".  Watch again, you either missed or ignored it.