Trestman's NFL time ending it looks like

USABomberfan

max power, on 10 Nov 2014 - 2:29 PM, said:

I know everyone loves to hate Jay Cutler, but how in the world is it on him that they've allowed over 50 points in two straight games??

Cutler is an average to slightly above average quarterback, and if you look at other salaries in the league he actually makes about what he should, believe it or not.  Their defense has been historically bad for two years now.

The thread however, in answer to Mr Dee's statement, is not about Cutler or the Bears, it's about wondering what will become of Trestman's future in the NFL or coming back to the CFL.  Because right now, as much or as little is his fault on that team, the tables have turned badly on him.

The reason I hope he gets some sort of chance to redeem himself is because not only is he a good football mind and a guy who did a lot for the Alouettes, his success there did a lot for this league in terms of it's appeal and attraction in the marketing phase, and some of the better CFL years that some of my fellow American friends have followed closely have been when he was coaching up here.  And certainly how the league is perceived and giving it better marketability and enjoyable for more followers to find is something that benefits all the teams including us.  And hey, who can forget the 13-men moments against SSK, that even us as bomber fans enjoyed that he's been a part of.

Bottom line, we want his legacy to be restored and not tarnished by this bad chapter.

Dan Hampton was on a sports talk radio show as a guest today & just roasted the organization from the McCaskey ownership, down to the GM, Trestman, his DC, assistant coaches & the players they drafted. He was just ranting off... The hosts loved it. Hampton wanted the GM, HC & DC's head on a platter now. The host wanted heads. They all want heads & they wanted them this morning. Sad to hear an alumnus like Dan Hampton be a total ******* & throw his team under the bus like that. It's one thing to have a passion for winning & caring for the team you won a Super Bowl with but it's quite another to be an idiot. 

I think you have to look at one thing. Talent. The Bears don't have enough of it. 

Is a quote from someone??? Cuz it's just plain wrong... Cutler, Forte, Bennett, Marshall, Jeffery.... they have some of the best offensive weapons in the NFL...

Defence is a different story though...

So,how am I wrong then? It always comes down to talent. Whether it's on both sides of the ball or in just one aspect of the team. 

They have plenty of talent on offense but they're not getting it done... that's on coaching... it's pretty clear you are right about the defense...

I think you have to look at one thing. Talent. The Bears don't have enough of it. 

Is a quote from someone??? Cuz it's just plain wrong... Cutler, Forte, Bennett, Marshall, Jeffery.... they have some of the best offensive weapons in the NFL...

Defence is a different story though...

So,how am I wrong then? It always comes down to talent. Whether it's on both sides of the ball or in just one aspect of the team. 

They have plenty of talent on offense but they're not getting it done... that's on coaching... it's pretty clear you are right about the defense...

I know what I saw last night. A very bad football team. Especially defensively. Trestman is a nice guy but the team is going backwards & regressing.

The defense on the Bear has been going downhill for at least 3 years now prior to Trestman even being hired by the team.  Nothing has improved there, aside from signing declining  free agents like Jared Allen (who was not very noticeable in his final season with the Vikings and drafting poorly on the defensive side of the ball.

A few weeks back, the Bears lost due to a couple of late costly turnovers by Cutler.  Bears were in the lead and those turnovers allowed the opposition to take the lead and win the game.

Dan Hampton was on a sports talk radio show as a guest today & just roasted the organization from the McCaskey ownership, down to the GM, Trestman, his DC, assistant coaches & the players they drafted. He was just ranting off... The hosts loved it. Hampton wanted the GM, HC & DC's head on a platter now. The host wanted heads. They all want heads & they wanted them this morning. Sad to hear an alumnus like Dan Hampton be a total ******* & throw his team under the bus like that. It's one thing to have a passion for winning & caring for the team you won a Super Bowl with but it's quite another to be an idiot. 

Being an idiot on air often gets you lots of attention- like Charles Adler, Don Cherry, Don Imus etc etc.

I agree Cutler is a huge problem and is a coach killer but he ain't going anywhere. He just signed a massive contract with the Bears.

Exactly. The Bears are stuck with him for better or worse. You can't trade him because no one will touch his contract, and the cap penalty for releasing him this early in the deal would screw the team over more than they already are. The Bears are in trouble for a long time.

I agree Cutler is a huge problem and is a coach killer but he ain't going anywhere. He just signed a massive contract with the Bears.

Man, did Hampton go off on that. "WE'RE STUCK WITH HIM!!!!", he roared. He called the Bears the "Grand Daddy Franchise of the NFL" & said that they are now a joke like the Jags. 

And there always have to be a few morons out there who take things WAY too far. I was just reading in the twitter sidebar that Trestman's daughters were being attacked on Twitter. Absolute vile. When crap like this happens I wonder if he regrets being a HC in the NFL.

http://deadspin.com/twitter-users-harass-marc-trestmans-daughters-after-bea-1657009542?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

And there always have to be a few morons out there who take things WAY too far. I was just reading in the twitter sidebar that Trestman's daughter is being attacked on Twitter. Absolute vile. When crap like this happens I wonder if he regrets being a HC in the NFL.

http://deadspin.com/twitter-users-harass-marc-trestmans-daughters-after-bea-1657009542?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

I saw that too. Absolutely disgusting.

A couple of those morons need a visit from the Chicago PD.

Aside from Matt Forte you could make the argument that Marshall, Jeffery and Bennett have all underachieved this year.

Of course, look who's throwing them the ball. Jay Cutler is having the worst season of his career. Why wouldn't their numbers suffer when Cutler can't hit the broad side of a barn? Hardly a reflection of the talents that Marshall, Jeffery, and Bennett are.

Trestman has a reputation about getting the best out of his quarterbacks, What's kind of sad is he probably is getting the best out of Cutler. I'm not a huge bears fan but from what i remember, they never have really been very good offensively. They have really built themselves on their defence. This years team and even going back maybe 3 or 4  years now are terrible defensively. Is that on Trestman? It might be because he is the head coach but he's only been there for a couple seasons now. That D started going downhill prior to him getting there, I think it's on the GM, signing guys on the downside of their career, allen comes to mind, is not really doing anything to fix the D. 

I wish Trestman the best of luck, i really do, he's a good guy and deserves a better fate but i guess when coach killer Cutler is your qb and he was just signed to an extension, well.. what can trestman really do. Trestman might be the coach but it's pretty obvious he doesn't really have full control over there. It's hard to say without knowing exactly what he has to deal with there but... for all we know, he knows what the problems are (On O it's Cutler for sure), On D it's everything really, maybe he's asked the GM to do something but the GM hasn't really done much to help. Hard to say. Was Cutler this bad last year? I didn't think so.. but earlier in the year, it came out that a few current (maybe former) players called out Cutler as not being someone you want to play for, If guys don't want to play for him, or don't think he's good enough, Then there are bigger problems than just trestman in Chicago. 

Jacquie, on 10 Nov 2014 - 10:04 PM, said:

And there always have to be a few morons out there who take things WAY too far. I was just reading in the twitter sidebar that Trestman's daughters were being attacked on Twitter. Absolute vile. When crap like this happens I wonder if he regrets being a HC in the NFL.

Yes that upset me big time.  Similar thing happened down in Tampa Bay last year when the Buccaneer fans said something like that about Greg Schiano's family.  The guy was a terrible head coach but that kind of stuff is despicable and puts a huge stain on a fanbase that the good NFL fans can't respect.  Marc Trestman deserves to be treated much better as a person, he's a good man with good character who just isn't getting the job done.  Fans need to realize this.  Yeah if your team is failing as bad as the Bears are, calling for him to be fired is understandable, and yes they were obviously angry when he said in his press conference today that there would be no coaching changes in his staff, but yeah going into someone's personal life like that is something you as a fan have no business doing.

Gotta love keyboard warriors who hide behind a twitter account... 2 or 3 of those fools need to get arrested for death threats and threats of violence.. I sincerely hope that they track them down or maybe that anonymous hacks their accounts and shares the information to people/authorities...

I still hold to the philosophy that good players make good coaches great. Bad players get good coaches fired. Case in point. Trestmsn and Callvio -now Trestman - Cutler. Another example, DelMonaco - Winnipeg , now DelMonaco - Calgary. All of a sudden our guru O line coach Wylie is just another guy.

That's how it is & a lot of fans don't realize it. Coaches IQ rise & fall based on the talent they have at their disposal. 

What I'm a little concerned about for Trestman is that he is not firing his DC, Mel Tucker, whose defenses have been horrendous over the past 2 years.  What's been bad is that not only have they struggled up front, they've been having terrible communication break downs among some pretty good DBs, and they probably should've made a change there.  That is something he probably could do to at least attempt to stop a bad bleed on that team.  It's a lost season at this point probably for them, but when things do get that bad, there should probably be at least some changes that a HC makes that he can make to show the fans and media that he's willing to try and fix it.

What I'm a little concerned about for Trestman is that he is not firing his DC, Mel Tucker, whose defenses have been horrendous over the past 2 years.  What's been bad is that not only have they struggled up front, they've been having terrible communication break downs among some pretty good DBs, and they probably should've made a change there.  That is something he probably could do to at least attempt to stop a bad bleed on that team.  It's a lost season at this point probably for them, but when things do get that bad, there should probably be at least some changes that a HC makes that he can make to show the fans and media that he's willing to try and fix it.

My guess is that Trestman doesn't have as much control over personnel, compared to other NFL head coach's.