25th Year

LeBird

Just wondering if the club will hand out a little 25th Anniversary watch with the picture of the Grey Cup on it when you buy the 2015 season tickets just to let us know they still have it around. And it doesn't have to work all that well. 

Did you know it's will be longer since our last Grey cup than the creation of the first Web Server as in WWW.

.westillsuck.org (no .com then)

People really need to get over this 25 year thing. I tried to explain it to some people in the chat room after the game. It's only year one for Walters and O'Shea. They need to be shown some patience. Forget all the mistakes that were made in the past, give these guys a proper chance to build something. I think we are on the right track over all. We have what appears to be a good quarterback situation right now and I am a believe in Mike O'Shea so that's two of the most key positions. The rest will come in time. People get too focussed on wins and losses and that's not the way to look at this season. Considering where this team ended last season and where we're going to end this season we are in so much of a better spot it's crazy to be angry. 

Too focused on wins and losses?  :D   You can't be too focused on wins in professional sports.  It's what defines the team and the players and the coaches as winners or losers.

O'Shea and company can only be blamed for this year's results, but this years results are no where near good enough.  8th in a 9 team league.  Only beating the expansion team in points.  Only beating 1 western opponent.  Not winning since some time in August.  These are all things that this group of management, scouts, coaches and players have to take blame for.

You need to start comparing our team to the other teams in the league instead of last years, 'one of the worst teams in Bombers history' team.  The only comparison that matters is how they play against the other teams.

Too focused on wins and losses?  :D   You can't be too focused on wins in professional sports.  It's what defines the team and the players and the coaches as winners or losers.

O'Shea and company can only be blamed for this year's results, but this years results are no where near good enough.  8th in a 9 team league.  Only beating the expansion team in points.  Only beating 1 western opponent.  Not winning since some time in August.  These are all things that this group of management, scouts, coaches and players have to take blame for.

You need to start comparing our team to the other teams in the league instead of last years, 'one of the worst teams in Bombers history' team.  The only comparison that matters is how they play against the other teams.

To a point, yes.  No one is happy with the record or how the team played this year, and no one should be.  Not the fans, not the management.

But this group is not responsible for 25 years of futility and shouldn't be blamed for that.

The question in my mind comes down to this.  Did they do enough this year to keep their jobs.  In that, you have to take into account the team / players they were given and where they are now.  

Personally, I'm dissapointed with the lack of new impact imports that were not brought in.   Fixing the Canadian talent on this team is going to take time, and I can accept that.  Recruiting imports should be where the staff is making their bread and butter.  That area should be fixable in a shorter time period.

I will give this group (Walters / O'Shea) at least one more season before I start calling for the winds of change.

To a point, yes.  No one is happy with the record or how the team played this year, and no one should be.  Not the fans, not the management.

But this group is not responsible for 25 years of futility and shouldn't be blamed for that.

The question in my mind comes down to this.  Did they do enough this year to keep their jobs.  In that, you have to take into account the team / players they were given and where they are now.  

Personally, I'm dissapointed with the lack of new impact imports that were not brought in.   Fixing the Canadian talent on this team is going to take time, and I can accept that.  Recruiting imports should be where the staff is making their bread and butter.  That area should be fixable in a shorter time period.

I will give this group (Walters / O'Shea) at least one more season before I start calling for the winds of change.

Did they do enough to keep their jobs?  Great question.

My take:

Miller / Walters / O'Shea - Yes, barely.  Some missteps, but generally OK.  Nothing spectacular, but nothing to get fired over.

MB / Etch / Tracey - Nope.  We all know the problems, so no need to rehash them.  Time to find better replacements, starting the day after our last game.

It's short sighted and doesn't take into account the starting point, and it's part of the reason why we've had this 25 year drought. Too many people have been fired because the instant results weren't there, or the team took a slight step back. All these knee jerk reactions because people only looked at wins and losses has done more damage to this team than anything. 

I'm sorry, I sort of like O'shea & Walters, not a fan of Miller.  But to all the excuse givers out there...there is "no excuse" for losing what will be 9 in a row.  Just as there is no excuse for the board to continuously make the same wrong dumb ass decisions when it comes to hiring our staff.  Which leads to the no excuse for us not winning a championship in 24 years now...

The reset button has been pressed over and over and over again and each time a bunch of people try to preach patience!!  Screw patience!!  I've watched this team suck for far too long!!  Results are expected!!  And we just never seem to get them.  Show me a good team!  Then I will have some patience...maybe.

It's short sighted and doesn't take into account the starting point, and it's part of the reason why we've had this 25 year drought. Too many people have been fired because the instant results weren't there, or the team took a slight step back. All these knee jerk reactions because people only looked at wins and losses has done more damage to this team than anything. 

IMHO: Berry shouldn't have been fired when he was.  PLAP was fired at a dumb time, they should have gotten rid of him and Mack during the previous off season when the replacements didn't all have jobs.  Other than that, I can't think of anyone who was fired who didn't deserve to be.

The real problem is that we continually hire inexperienced people to do jobs they've never done before for cheap.  Most of them don't work out and we end up doing the same thing over again.  Any time we hire an experience person, it's someone that no other team wanted for good reasons.  Again, I expect they are cheaper than the experienced guys with good records.  We've been looking for the next great young HC since Mike Riley since he left in 1990.

If we really want to turn the Bombers losing ways around, spend the bucks on experienced people who already know what they are doing and have good reputations.   

No, this is a sports team who's business is to acquire players that will play well enough to win cups. Further, in sports the clock starts the day after you have won the cup and to say we should disregard all the prior years because this one looks better does not hold water. This is one of many such years that looked very good. We can dig up all kind of posts that supported coaches because they was on the right path. 

And to say MOS brought in a lot of talent begs one to ask how good was that talent that resulted in the team losing the last eight games after a 5-1 start. I'm not calling for his firing but if he and his buds do not make significant improvements during the off season things might get undone. 

Name the people over the past 25 years who were fired because instant results weren't there as you put it.

Hamilton went from the outhouse to the Cup last season as did Edmonton this season. It can be done. Teams never want to use the rebuilding cliche it doesn't sell tickets

You have a time machine? Edmonton hasn't made a cup since 2005.

Point is under Hervey Edmonton went from a 4 win outfit last year to a double digit win team this year and a Grey Cup contender.  Last year for Edmonton would be comparable to Winnipeg this year (Reilly makes his debut in Edmonton in 2013 while Willy makes his debut for the Bombers this year, both the 2013 Eskies and the 2014 Bombers have poor O-lines and poor Canadian depth).  There is no reason that the Bombers can't have a similar bump in the win column that Edmonton experienced this year.  If Edmonton can do it, there is no excuse for the Bombers not to do it as well.  Another sub-.500 season is inexcusable.

Name the people over the past 25 years who were fired because instant results weren't there as you put it.

You will notice that I added a 2nd qualifier there as well right? The whole point is that a lack of patience has resulted in good people being fired too soon. Dave Ritchie, Doug Berry, even Lapo was fired prematurely. The worst part is they usually followed it up by hiring worse people after. The reality is that this team doesn't give coaches or GMs enough rope. 

People really need to get over this 25 year thing.

Especially since it's only 24.

25 seasons. 

So are you including 1990 when we won, or next year?  Because including a season that has yet to be played, well you might as well just say it's been infinity since we won.

I really don't want to do this.

91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14

Now if you want to get out some kind of soft tipped device (easy jokes to make if you want) so you don't leave scratches on your screen and count those, it will add up to 24.

Too focused on wins and losses? :D You can't be too focused on wins in professional sports. It's what defines the team and the players and the coaches as winners or losers.

This.. Omg so much this.. If previous regimes hadn't mortgaged the future so often to try and appease the filthy unwashed masses,.maybe the drought would have ended years ago... But because they got so caught up on wins and losses, draft picks a plenty were traded or burned... QBs crushed without getting ample time to acclimate...

A rebuild will never take a season or two... Especially after the destruction of our core like we have seen over and over again. It HAS happened before, yes... But that's the exception, not the norm..

Nah in the cfl it usually is within a season or two.

Not when your rebuilding from the.. What, last 3 rebuilds that we have endured? Have you not watched what we have been fielding for Canadian talent in the last 4 seasons? How about our QBs? Yer out to lunch if you think our franchise was just a season or two away from competitive at any point in the last 3 seasons.. Even if we were "on the cusp" we threw it all away with new GMs and coaches...

Our non imp talent is finally looking like we have something to possibly build off.. Our secondary is finally rebuilt to be respectable.. And we are still a ways away from being a top contender..

Way she goes bud, even if you refuse to believe it..

People really need to get over this 25 year thing.

Especially since it's only 24.

25 seasons. 

So are you including 1990 when we won, or next year?  Because including a season that has yet to be played, well you might as well just say it's been infinity since we won.

I really don't want to do this.

91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14

Now if you want to get out some kind of soft tipped device (easy jokes to make if you want) so you don't leave scratches on your screen and count those, it will add up to 24.

The title of the thread is 25th year and talks about next year.

Too focused on wins and losses? :D You can't be too focused on wins in professional sports. It's what defines the team and the players and the coaches as winners or losers.

This.. Omg so much this.. If previous regimes hadn't mortgaged the future so often to try and appease the filthy unwashed masses,.maybe the drought would have ended years ago... But because they got so caught up on wins and losses, draft picks a plenty were traded or burned... QBs crushed without getting ample time to acclimate...

A rebuild will never take a season or two... Especially after the destruction of our core like we have seen over and over again. It HAS happened before, yes... But that's the exception, not the norm..

That excuse is getting almost as old as the original sin and this draft thing is also getting well worn. How many of the Oline guys do we have left from our first choices? The fans had nothing to do with the choice of Etienne. But I guess it much easier to blame the fans instead of the very poor choice of managers we hired. We didn't trade or burn our choices, we wasted them because we picked the wrong guys. Further we did not pick up vets that could have helped us but choose to go with raw US rookies in previous years or in this year for that matter. How are the fans to blame for that? We let an all star guard go because we wanted to make him a center and he said no. (His words).

However, after the results of this year it will be very hard to blame the fans again. Going into next year with this team will get MOS in a very bad position comes LDC. One thing you must agree with, the fans will not wait another 2 or 3 years to get results and they shouldn't. Hamilton were 6-12 in 2012 and Grey Cup participants the next. 

By the way MOS keeps saying he has a very good team, so much for the destruction of the core.