Kerry Joseph Joins Riders

Zontar

Has taman every found a QB? Or has he just inherited the decent ones?

he inherited Durant that's the only one. His usual MO if he needs to find his own qb is look around the league at backups and get one of them in hopes they can start. Worked out pretty well for him with Khari Jones and Kevin Glenn. Now my timing is fuzzy, but was Taman the Riders GM when they brought in Drew Willy?

I meant, has he ever brought one up to the CFL. I know how he got Jones and Glenn and Durain't. Just wondering if he's ever brought some up that have stuck. I seem to remember him being fairly bad at that while here.

Willy was a Taman signing. Feb 28/ 2012.  same day we signed Colt Brennan.  Danny Barrett was coaching in Buffalo so likely there may have been a shout out made to the Riders to have a look at him.

Given the QB FA situation at the end of 2013 how realistic was it going to be for Sask to be able to afford Durrant and afford to even try and keep Willy....not likely. Not much different than Toronto affording Ray and being able to resign Collaris as aFA?

The Lions made a similar move with Reilly

@PentonKirk Great move by the #Roughriders, though. They couldn't get Burris. Needed a veteran.

If the Bombers brought Joseph in or even Buck from upstairs Penton would have blasted the Bombers for it. Funny how other teams do stuff like this and it's a "GREAT" move?

Taman gives Penton lots of inside info so he's just returning the favor by publicly supporting his move.

Hey Ripper, there was a LOT of talk last year and in the offseason coming from the Regina media that Taman was very comfortable letting Willy explore FA because they felt Sunseri had surpassed him on the DC.  Therefore, I am not convinced that he would have kept Willy even if they had the opportunity to do so. Which, of course, they did. There was no reason for Willy to believe that a starting QB spot was open anywhere until Hamilton released Burris and started the domino effect that created a spot in Winnipeg. Taman had a full two months of offseason to make Willy a decent contract extension offer at a time that Willy really didn't have an inkling that he would get a chance to be a starter.  Willy, himself, said he was never once asked about extending.

Taman, also, has a history of rolling the dice with inexperienced backups....a history that can be proven by the 2007 Grey Cup. Dinwiddie made his first professional start in a Grey Cup and it almost certainly cost us the game as we were the better team.

that is taman MO. backups are a great place to save money

I didn't mention that in my post, but there is very likely some truth in your statement. Durant is very durable, probably there were some costs savings in mind also considering how little the Riders ever play a backup. Durants age also a factor, by the time DD was done Willy would have been past his prime.

There is no question about it, saw it all the time when he was in Winnipeg. Guy pays his starters great, but saves money on the depth. Goes for more than QB too. I don't think it was an entirely bad move on his part with Saskatchewan either. They were already breaking the cap and guys would need raises and I am sure he had an inkling that Dressler might make his way back from the NFL. With Durant being as durable as he has been no one would consider it likely he'd see his season end permanently. They took a gamble and lost but it wasn't really a terrible gamble. They had to save money somewhere (if they wanted to even make an attempt at looking like they were being cap compliant)

Its funny that the guys who've been Bomber fans for 20 years-plus all say this, while the asshats in SK who used to laugh at Taman when he was here all seem to forget this. 

"Oh its cause he had no money in WPG, thats why he was so lousy." -- So what you're saying is Taman needs a blank check to be a winner? Well, hell, sign me up. I can do that job too. Fricken Jim Daley could. 

Yup, best Grey Cup money could buy.

LOL so true. I gain more and more respect for you with each passing day. You are the kind of non-Bomber fan I can tolerate around here.

Aw, shucks.

We still have to keep you at arms length though...and curse you out when the Bombers lose to the Ticats...but otherwise, I agree with KBF.

Personally, I don't see the logic here. They really don't need him as "support" on the sidelines... or a mentor... I'm pretty sure Durant can do that when not playing. If they are seriously considering throwing him into the mix then I really don't know what to think. (Will he get the #4 off Durant's Jersey?) Lol! 

Time to check my closet and see if I have an old Joseph jersey... (geeeewwww) 

Personally, I don't see the logic here. They really don't need him as "support" on the sidelines... or a mentor... I'm pretty sure Durant can do that when not playing. If they are seriously considering throwing him into the mix then I really don't know what to think. (Will he get the #4 off Durant's Jersey?) Lol! 

The logic is...we're screwed and need anyone who has thrown a football within the last 30 months.

The logic is...we're screwed and need anyone who has thrown a football within the last 30 months.

Well, here's hoping DD returns in time for the playoffs, and in the meantime Sunseri can put a full 4 quarters of football without any major disasters...

Well, here's hoping DD returns in time for the playoffs, and in the meantime Sunseri can put a full 4 quarters of football without any major disasters...

NOOOOOO, here's hoping DD can't return until mid season next year and riders don't win another game for the rest of the year.

NOOOOOO, here's hoping DD can't return until mid season next year and riders don't win another game for the rest of the year.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Riders aren't out of it yet.

Does Taman have Bishop's number? There's another proven veteran. I seem to remember a strong arm. Mike Kelly was quite the QB evaluator even if he was a bit rough around the edges with the media.

NOOOO, here's hoping DD can't return until mid season next year and riders don't win a game for the rest of the year.

A very strong possibility despite all the protests you will hear from the Rider's head in the sand club.

I'm hoping he'll return this year for the playoffs, but at the same time I haven't turned a blind eye to the fact that he may not. 

Does Taman have Bishop's number? There's another proven veteran. I seem to remember a strong arm. Mike Kelly was quite the QB evaluator even if he was a bit rough around the edges with the media.

Tillman brought Bishop in.

Tillman brought Bishop in.

Yep....and Kelly brought him to Winnipeg afterwards. I think I would rather go with Bishop than Joseph but both choices are awful.

And u know Taman and Penton are buddies because?

Taman is a major media darling and, like Lawless, Penton has a big man-crush on him. Why do you think the Winnipeg media was campaigning so hard for Taman to be hired after Bauer and Kelly left or why so many details came out about the BoD's interest in Taman. Why do you think the Winnipeg media was scooping the Regina media on things about the Riders when Taman first went there.