Today's practice updates

gbill2004

Sears became a casualty when Sherman stole the SAM/Dollar spot.

Sherman didn't steal anything, he simply did an OK job and because of ratio reasons is still there. Rest assured that if it weren't for the ratio Sears would have been back there as soon as he was healthy. 

He didn't steal the job from Sears, but he stole the job from our other potential NI starters.  Within reason, you try to play your best Canadians regardless of position.  He is one of our best Canadians until we acquire better Canadians.  Is Sherman better than Sears?  No.  But he's closer to Sears more than Alexander is close to Leggett and more than Goossen is close to whatever import got a job on the line this week.  I am grateful that he's making plays and not just filling a roster spot.

I would argue that Sherman is better than Dunn...

That's hard to say considering he's never played in Dunn's position, but it might be interesting to have him audition there sometime.

SAM is a more difficult position in my opinion... I'm sure others will disagree :)

Regardless, I think both Sears and Sherman have better closing speed and hit harder than Dunn.

I've long said SAM is the most difficult position to play on defence, mainly because it requires the broadest set of skills and also has one of the largest territorial responsibilities.

Both Sherman and Sears know how to bring the lumber.  There may be more to playing the short side than that.

I dunno, if it wasn't for our own mistakes the last several weeks (bc not included, due to willy being injured), we'd have probably won several of those games, the biggest issue with this team right now is they don't have the overall talent to overcome some of the mistakes they make, special teams blocked punt lead to hamiltons only TD, Willy throwing an interception vs sask, hell man, those 2 mistakes cost us those games, Sure there were other factors but... when you really break it down, we are losing because we are beating ourselves. 

according to Penton, Sears could be returning kicks this week and McGuffie will play too.

Unless one of them handles all the returning, dressing two import tailbacks is a waste of a roster spot IMO.

Not when Grigsby can't handle more than a dozen carries a game.  Just hope they use the 2nd tailback and give him a chance.

I've long said SAM is the most difficult position to play on defence, mainly because it requires the broadest set of skills and also has one of the largest territorial responsibilities.

Both Sherman and Sears know how to bring the lumber.  There may be more to playing the short side than that.

Sherman is arguably the worst tackler we have on the field (Bucknor would be in that argument too), and he's pretty awful when he gets isolated in coverage too.  A lot of our big breakdowns in D have been when he's been isolated, but it's been a combination of luck, Sherman mostly being used as a blitzer, a great safety and set of halfbacks who have saved our bacon for most of the season.  Love Sherman's energy, he's pretty good at blitzing and he has a knack for getting the ball out of guys, but he's severely limited at this point.

Grigsby appears to suffer a season ending injury 2-3 times per game, every game. He then returns the very next play. What's up with that?

Kind of reminds me of Brazzell when he does that. Just wait until it gets cold.

To me Grigby is a great change of pace RB but not an Everydown RB he would need to put on 10 pounds and toughen up to be and everydown RB IMO.

I like him but as others have suggested if the wind blows too hard he goes down... We need someone that has more power and toughness if they are to be an every down RB...

Maybe Volny wouldn't it be nice if he could actually do the job but we will never know because some players never get the chance and some players get too many like Watson he shouldn't be starting when JFG was outplaying him...

according to Penton, Sears could be returning kicks this week and McGuffie will play too.

Unless one of them handles all the returning, dressing two import tailbacks is a waste of a roster spot IMO.

Not when Grigsby can't handle more than a dozen carries a game.  Just hope they use the 2nd tailback and give him a chance.

We don't give Grigsby much more than 12 carries a game anyways. Just give those extra few touches to Carl Volny. It's better roster management than dressing an import to touch the ball less than five times a game.

Sherman is arguably the worst tackler we have on the field (Bucknor would be in that argument too), and he's pretty awful when he gets isolated in coverage too.  A lot of our big breakdowns in D have been when he's been isolated, but it's been a combination of luck, Sherman mostly being used as a blitzer, a great safety and set of halfbacks who have saved our bacon for most of the season.  Love Sherman's energy, he's pretty good at blitzing and he has a knack for getting the ball out of guys, but he's severely limited at this point.

I'd give Bucknor the nod for worst tackler over Sherman.  Sherman can whiff in space but Bucknor gets guys along the sideline where he has the opportunity to just push them out and whiffs on that, the much easier play.

Both these guys have deficiencies in their game, it's not like we're way smarter than all the other teams for putting them in our starting lineup.  We're making do with the injuries we've been handed.  I've been impressed by both of them in that my expectations were much lower than what they've delivered.

The question remains, are the Bombers better with Sherman at WIL so we can get Sears back in at SAM, or better with the status quo, cause Sherman probably isn't coming off this season.  My point was more about his ability to handle increased physicality on the other side.  The deficiencies in his game will show up wherever he lines up.

Sherman has shown that he has improved his tackling over the last 4-5 games…I've not noticed whether Bucknor has improved or not.

The fact is that, even with these so called, below average NIs in the lineup, the defence overall has not suffered, whether due to schemes or the play of surrounding players.

We really need someone situated in Winnipeg to quit work and report more on these practices…or go on injury report. Be creative.

If you'd all like to pitch in and fund me for not working, I'd be all for sitting around watching them practice all day.

We really need someone situated in Winnipeg to quit work and report more on these practices…or go on injury report. Be creative.

I'll do it if someone can subsidize my income. I love going to Bomber practice. That'll be a big part of my retirement time, when I retire. Funny the guys who get paid to be there can't even do their job.