Today's practice updates

gbill2004

We really need someone situated in Winnipeg to quit work and report more on these practices…or go on injury report. Be creative.

And they could report the news back to us....we could call them "sports reporters" man if only Winnipeg had a couple of those!

The usual "reporters" couldn't provide any practice updates today because, while they were at practice, they were busy watching funny YouTube videos on Jim Toth's laptop.

I've long said SAM is the most difficult position to play on defence, mainly because it requires the broadest set of skills and also has one of the largest territorial responsibilities.

Both Sherman and Sears know how to bring the lumber.  There may be more to playing the short side than that.

Sherman is arguably the worst tackler we have on the field (Bucknor would be in that argument too), and he's pretty awful when he gets isolated in coverage too.  A lot of our big breakdowns in D have been when he's been isolated, but it's been a combination of luck, Sherman mostly being used as a blitzer, a great safety and set of halfbacks who have saved our bacon for most of the season.  Love Sherman's energy, he's pretty good at blitzing and he has a knack for getting the ball out of guys, but he's severely limited at this point.

I'd give Bucknor the nod for worst tackler over Sherman.  Sherman can whiff in space but Bucknor gets guys along the sideline where he has the opportunity to just push them out and whiffs on that, the much easier play.

Both these guys have deficiencies in their game, it's not like we're way smarter than all the other teams for putting them in our starting lineup.  We're making do with the injuries we've been handed.  I've been impressed by both of them in that my expectations were much lower than what they've delivered.

The question remains, are the Bombers better with Sherman at WIL so we can get Sears back in at SAM, or better with the status quo, cause Sherman probably isn't coming off this season.  My point was more about his ability to handle increased physicality on the other side.  The deficiencies in his game will show up wherever he lines up.

Factoring in the ratio, I wouldn't sit someone to make room for Sears in the starting lineup.  I'd use him as a DI.  IMO, he'd be a huge upgrade on Unamba, who has been useless on D.  Sears is great special teamer too, better to have guys in those DI spots who can actually function and play a role on D too.  Same would go for Markett, don't really understand how Unamba has held his spot this entire season.  Nobody is playing poorly enough to gamble on Sears' health though.

Unamba has probably kept his spot because he is by far our best special teams player and leads the team in special teams tackles. Unless i'm mistaken but i doubt it, pretty sure he leads the team in special teams tackles and it's not even close. Unamba seems to get crapped on a bit but my guess is if you took him out of the line up, you'd notice how important he actually was to special teams. Sears? Meh he's a good player but the guy can't stay healthy, you got people wanting to trade watson a canadian because he can't stay healthy yet sears has missed as much if not more time than watson has the last couple years. Problem with sears is he's good when healthy but he's not that healthy always.