A Healthy Renaud - Does He Get Back In?

TrueBlue

I'm sure most of us could agree that Lirim has done pretty well in the punting department in relief if Renaud.  Hard to fathom that Renaud would have done any better.  

I do however think that Renaud poses a different kind of threat when it comes to the opportunities that he takes (i.e.: fielding his own punts) 

Does Renaud crack the lineup again, or have we seen the last of him?

I personally am not a fan of having just one kicker on the game day roster handling all kicking duties, but hard to argue with Haj's performance thus far.

Haven't seen the official stats between the two, but just watching them punt, I do believe Lirim has the stronger leg and het gets much better hang time on his punts.

If that was the case Liram would have won the punting duties out of TC

Not necessarily.  Lirim was a rookie and sometimes if you give kickers too much to do both areas suffer.  At the TC practise I was at, I thought Lirim out kicked Renaud.

I think they wanted to ease Lirim in, letting him get comfortable and good at kicking while keeping some vet experience in the kicking game.  When Renaud got hurt, Lirim was given the opportunity to take over both jobs.

If Renaud was the better punter, he would be back by now.

I've found it odd how polarizing Renaud has been among fans.  He's a reasonably solid but unspectacular punter.  We've had far far worse - I know, high praise.

Lirim has been pretty good at the job.  I'm not sure he's been better all the time, but he's been better at minimum more than half the time, and he wins the leg strength battle handily.  Renaud is capable of better touch but can't do it consistently.  Right now I wouldn't use a spot on the 44 for him.  It's pretty unlikely he'll be back next year, but for now depth at every position is a good idea as the playoffs approach.

Haven't seen the official stats between the two, but just watching them punt, I do believe Lirim has the stronger leg and het gets much better hang time on his punts.

If that was the case Liram would have won the punting duties out of TC

Not necessarily.  Lirim was a rookie and sometimes if you give kickers too much to do both areas suffer.  At the TC practise I was at, I thought Lirim out kicked Renaud.

I think they wanted to ease Lirim in, letting him get comfortable and good at kicking while keeping some vet experience in the kicking game.  When Renaud got hurt, Lirim was given the opportunity to take over both jobs.

If Renaud was the better punter, he would be back by now.

This is exactly what OShea said early on in the season when asked about the possibility of Lirim punting.  He'd rather let him become proficient at kicking than overwhelm him and have him be average at everything.

Before people kick Renaud to the curb it might be wise to know who the next guy up is if Lirim were to get hurt. We have already demonstrated how lack of quality depth on the O line has been a serious issue, let's not do the same in the ST area, that is a huge factor in field position.

When has this team or any other team in the league had a backup kicker ready to go?

Before people kick Renaud to the curb it might be wise to know who the next guy up is if Lirim were to get hurt. We have already demonstrated how lack of quality depth on the O line has been a serious issue, let's not do the same in the ST area, that is a huge factor in field position.

Next guy up would have to be a new American find. Renaud can't placekick to save his life so he's no help anywhere but punting.

When has this team or any other team in the league had a backup kicker ready to go?

Saskatchewan has Bartel on their 1 game and Palardy on their PR.

Edmonton had ONeill behind Shaw, still have Congi on their 1 game IR.

BC and Calgary both have split duty kickers on their rosters.  McCallum/Schmitt and Parades/Maver, respectively.

There are only two teams in the CFL who have one guy on their roster doing both duties without any backup - Toronto and Ottawa.