WFP Article targeting O'Shea

White Out

I think the smart fans and Winnipeg i think has quite a lot of knowledgeable sports fans can see past the medias agenda and i think sometimes, even get sick of the medias agenda here. I think there is a reason why less and less people are buying newspapers, i think there is a reason why the give the winnipeg sun away for free in most areas of the city... It's that people are catching on to the media, instead of reporting news like they should be doing, they are making it up and most people see this.

lol, 99% will believe exactly what the media feeds them.

I don't think so. I think it's probably closer to 10 percent. I don't think you are giving people enough credit actually. I think most people can see through the BS that the media is putting out there. I think it's become quite apparent the last couple years to most people that the media don't know as much as they like to pretend they do. Most people don't like to be told what to think or how to think it or who to cheer for and who not to cheer for, Sure, theres a percentage of people who will believe the media until the cows come home but i think that percentage of people would also believe the media if they told them the sky was green and the grass is blue. 

You are always going to have people who believe the media, but you also have people who thought that MH370 plane was on the moon or abducted by aliens, Those people are few and far between i think.

Okay, maybe not 99%, but most people will 'eat up' the whole 5- 1 start to 1 - 4 tail spin because only wins and losses matter at the end of the day.

I think the smart fans and Winnipeg i think has quite a lot of knowledgeable sports fans can see past the medias agenda and i think sometimes, even get sick of the medias agenda here. I think there is a reason why less and less people are buying newspapers, i think there is a reason why the give the winnipeg sun away for free in most areas of the city... It's that people are catching on to the media, instead of reporting news like they should be doing, they are making it up and most people see this.

lol, 99% will believe exactly what the media feeds them.

I don't think so. I think it's probably closer to 10 percent. I don't think you are giving people enough credit actually. I think most people can see through the BS that the media is putting out there. I think it's become quite apparent the last couple years to most people that the media don't know as much as they like to pretend they do. Most people don't like to be told what to think or how to think it or who to cheer for and who not to cheer for, Sure, theres a percentage of people who will believe the media until the cows come home but i think that percentage of people would also believe the media if they told them the sky was green and the grass is blue. 

You are always going to have people who believe the media, but you also have people who thought that MH370 plane was on the moon or abducted by aliens, Those people are few and far between i think.

Okay, maybe not 99%, but most people will 'eat up' the whole 5- 1 start to 1 - 4 tail spin because only wins and losses matter at the end of the day.

I dunno, if you have 30,000 bomber fans in attendance and polled 30,000 bomber fans, you might get some different answers than you would from those who claim to be fans but really aren't. You see those people on the WFP comments section all the time, They like to think they are fans but can't even tell you 4 players on the team. I'm not sure it really matters what the "masses" think here when it comes to the bombers, it matters what bomber fans think and i think for the most part, bomber fans are smart enough to know that the media are morons. :) 

I really do think it does matter what people think and what they think will come from reading the papers or from someone who read it and is trying to put his slant on the piece. I am somewhat worried about how this media thing is starting to get negative. Anyone who thinks we can do well without the help of the media is living in a make believe world. Kelly was in a play off race for a long time but after the Banjo Bowl the crowds stayed away. He himself did much of the damage but the press finished him off. 

Two things scare me in life: a woman in high heels and a guy who always has the last word.

Personally I think O'Shea deserves our support even if we don't always agree with some of his thinking. He may be putting too much faith in his coordinators. We all had agreed this was going to be the rebuilding year so let's rebuild until next TC.

For a team that started 5 - 1 and is now 6 - 5, I think you have to expect some negativity in the media.

The trouble will come when the media starts hinting at either Walters or O'Shea being in trouble.  Once that seed gets planted by the media, it can get traction from the fans.

I don't think the media is there though.  The message seems to be that they club is in the right direction, there are things to be fixed.  However, I'm not sure those things can be fixed this year.

This team is already miles ahead of where it was last year, and I don't think the media will be saying anything different.

I really do think it does matter what people think and what they think will come from reading the papers or from someone who read it and is trying to put his slant on the piece. I am somewhat worried about how this media thing is starting to get negative. Anyone who thinks we can do well without the help of the media is living in a make believe world. Kelly was in a play off race for a long time but after the Banjo Bowl the crowds stayed away. He himself did much of the damage but the press finished him off.

Two things scare me in life: a woman in high heels and a guy who always has the last word.

Personally I think O'Shea deserves our support even if we don't always agree with some of his thinking. He may be putting too much faith in his coordinators. We all had agreed this was going to be the rebuilding year so let's rebuild until next TC.

Why do women in high heels scare you? I think high heels make most women look great.

Why do women in high heels scare you? I think high heels make most women look great.

lol, maybe he's short. 

honestly my problem with the media are guys like Weicek who have flat out stated they don't really like the CFL. How can this guy be taken seriously when he admits he doesn't understand the league? Then there are columnists who are more interested in being famous for stirring **** up than actually addressing real issues and it's easy to see why fans grow tired of the media coverage this team gets. No one ever complained about Ed Tait or Randy Turner because those guys did their jobs well. The new bunch though leave much to be desired. 

I loved at the end of O'Shea's press conference Lawless tries (several times) to point out how the rush yds against wore down our D and that it probably led to the Riders having an advantage in TOP. Well, Sir Garry, if you bothered to look at the gamestats prior to waddling to the conference, you'd know we had the ball slightly longer. Not too mention 9 more first downs, 150+ more yds of offence.... not that those things matter, right?

Honestly reading Lawless' last two columns of last week, one on the Jets, one on the Bombers, I couldn't believe someone gets paid to write like that.  It's like he has a template and just plugs different names in, terribly lazy garbage.  He really needs a reporting gig, cause the columnist one just isn't his forte.

I did get a chuckle out of this Lawless gem:

When he took this job, O'Shea said he was glad to be in a town where the CFL mattered. Good stuff. But this week, when he's picking up milk at Safeway and his cart gets sideswiped by the blue-hair in the Bud Grant jersey, the truth about this town will sink in for O'Shea.

Paul Wicek and Gary Lawless are the biggest disgraces of sports writers I have ever seen.  I knew from the get go the old beat was gonna start up again when Lawless pretty much opened up the season with that whole O'Shea needs to reign in his temper thing.  And of course now that he has shown he can remain cool under diress, that's off the table, and now they come up with this.  Why can't this silly WFP go out and actually get some qualified sports columnists to actually cover all points of the game including the positives?

I mean look, this team was down by some big points two weeks in a row but didn't quit and both times came back and had a chance to win.  Why can't they bring that up in regards to how O'Shea has led us?

The team has a ways to go before they become Grey Cup contenders, but I feel at least going through a year like this they can learn a lot and become better players when they look back on it and prepare during the offseason to fix the areas that were strugglesome.  Yeah the special teams need to get cleaned up, but finding Stoudamire and Hajrullahu were good starts for a few key positions, we just need to get our long snapper back in the lineup so we don't keep airmailing those punts over Lirim's head or down where he has to pick them up.  Those have been costly.

Like I said, the team has a ways to go, but it's like every time this happens, these sports columnists quickly forget the bad year we're just coming out of and have to go on tirades like this.  Sure I admit this year is a little 2011-ish, games being won early on some miracle drives, and maybe some overachievement on our part in doing so, but 3 of our 5 losses have been close losses as well that we could've just as easily won, and this kind of thing should be expected in the CFL.  Yeah I hate being swept by the Riders, but give us one more year or so to get it right and we could very easily do the same to them.

I just hate when these sports writers start looking at the here and now instead of looking at the big picture.

I don't know, it's only in the last 20 years that we have gotten used to losing. Weick and Lawless look to be around my age, I've followed the Bombers for a good 40 years now and back in the day, a loss on home field was the end of the world. Home losses for this team were rare, even when we didn't have championship teams. The franchise really has sunk to new lows and until it returns to it's past glory years, I don't think the press should let up on them. 20 years is long enough.

pigseye, on 08 Sept 2014 - 2:32 PM, said:

It's only going to get worse if Osh continues to pretend to the press that it doesn't matter. 'Not an issue, handled internally' didn't go over well last time.

These press people think they are so entitled to hop into Wade Miller's box or something and think that because they work for the WFP that they can just tell GMs, coaches, and everyone else what they're supposed to be doing or how to handle issues.  You want to know why us fans are turning on them?  Because of stupid stuff they try to bait coaches into like that.

I was talking with another fan about the media's access to the team's meetings and other things earlier this season, and he was saying he believes the WFP isn't putting up much rosy articles these days is because they're annoyed with their current lack of access.  It would only make sense too, partially because of some of the garbage fires that have been started by them, some of which came out of false words or twisting something that was said by coaches or players in the past.

It's not about portraying things in a good way or a bad way, it's about the quality of the reporting or the quality of the opinions in the columns. Both are bad because Weicek doesn't care enough and because Lawless is a self important ******* who just likes to hear his own ramblings. He's basically  a professional Nasty Nate. 

It's not about portraying things in a good way or a bad way, it's about the quality of the reporting or the quality of the opinions in the columns. Both are bad because Weicek doesn't care enough and because Lawless is a self important ******* who just likes to hear his own ramblings. He's basically  a professional Nasty Nate. 

Please don't use professional and Nasty Nate in the same sentence. <_<

We are getting bad press because we are 1-4 in our last 5 games.  It's unrealistic to expect good press right now.

Good press, bad press isn't the concern.  The quality of the writing is what bothers me.  They can talk crap about the Bombers if they want, just construct a logical argument and demonstrate an understanding of football (Wiecek).

We are getting bad press because we are 1-4 in our last 5 games.  It's unrealistic to expect good press right now.

JHC, someone gets it. Let's add fuel to the fire and shout from the roof tops that we except close losses too and no need to change anything because we are Winnipeg and good losers, lol.

It's not bad press, it's obtuse press.  I don't understand why the reporters feel the need to analyze a sport they don't even have the first clue about now, but it sure is getting bad with 1290 having them on day after day when they have nothing to talk about.  Not negative bad just plain old bad.  Wiecek in particular just continually makes himself sound like an idiot.  At least a guy like Tait will tell you what he sees and connect it back to what he's seen in the past.  Guys like Wiecek and Lawless ramble on like they'd coached in the CFL.  O'Shea embarrassed Lawless pretty badly on 1290 this week, since Lawless came at O'Shea like an attack dog with completely incorrect assumptions, Lawless was basically apologizing and saying that when he asks O'Shea a question he's looking for an answer, not trying to give him a backhanded slam.  I can listen to 1290 one day a week on the Bombers, then they have nothing to add.  I've been switching it off whenever they talk about the Jets since the draft, just nothing more to say, all soap opera crap.

It's not bad press, it's obtuse press.  I don't understand why the reporters feel the need to analyze a sport they don't even have the first clue about now, but it sure is getting bad with 1290 having them on day after day when they have nothing to talk about.  Not negative bad just plain old bad.  Wiecek in particular just continually makes himself sound like an idiot.  At least a guy like Tait will tell you what he sees and connect it back to what he's seen in the past.  Guys like Wiecek and Lawless ramble on like they'd coached in the CFL.  O'Shea embarrassed Lawless pretty badly on 1290 this week, since Lawless came at O'Shea like an attack dog with completely incorrect assumptions, Lawless was basically apologizing and saying that when he asks O'Shea a question he's looking for an answer, not trying to give him a backhanded slam.  I can listen to 1290 one day a week on the Bombers, then they have nothing to add.  I've been switching it off whenever they talk about the Jets since the draft, just nothing more to say, all soap opera crap.

Because there is nothing to report, except 1 - 4 and no changes coming.

I'm not a reporter but if I had to 'fabricate a story' about no news, what else would I do?

Because there is nothing to report, except 1 - 4 and no changes coming.

I'm not a reporter but if I had to 'fabricate a story' about no news, what else would I do?

are we talking to the wall here? It's not what they're reporting, it's HOW they're reporting it. 

It's not just the bombers, the media here tends to over exaggerate and make something out of nothing for just about everything, Don't matter if its the Jets and Blake Wheeler talking about Evander Kane, Don't matter if it's about Elections and who to vote for, It's just about everything. You know what, They call Winnipeg a fish bowl and to an extent i suppose we are but in a greater extent and perhaps the truth, The media makes us to be a fish bowl. It's at the point where i don't even pay much attention to what any one in our media says, They all have their agendas, there are good guys out there though who can hopefully  change things, guys like Bauming and to a lesser extent Penton, but he works for the sun and the sun has a huge agenda to push and at times, Penton pushes that agenda too.  Eventually though, one of 2 things will happen, some younger media people will come along and push out the bad or newspapers and print media will go out of business. Less and less people get the papers every day. I used to work for one of the paper companies, the free press, worked at their call centre, yup and most the calls i received, 8 out of 10 calls for sure were people wanting to cancel their subscriptions. That was probably 7 years ago now but... I'd imagine it hasn't gotten any better.