WFP Article targeting O'Shea

White Out

What bothers me is the talk about the team falling off the rail and being in a complete tailspin... If we lost 52-0 and 37-3 in consecutive games, that narrative would be understandable.... not that I'm ok with losing, but what I saw in these last two games was 2 fairly evenly matched teams... but one that knows how to win and one that is still learning how to win...

I don't know, it's only in the last 20 years that we have gotten used to losing. Weick and Lawless look to be around my age, I've followed the Bombers for a good 40 years now and back in the day, a loss on home field was the end of the world. Home losses for this team were rare, even when we didn't have championship teams. The franchise really has sunk to new lows and until it returns to it's past glory years, I don't think the press should let up on them. 20 years is long enough.

But do you expect them to from, and I won't even call it worst cause they were beyond 'worst' last year - to Grey Cup contenders overnight? I expected a 6 - 12 season, and if we had some breaks maybe 7 - 11. Now it looks like 8 - 10 will be a solid bet (I'm sure we can win two more games). If, at the end of last season, I'd say we'd be 8 - 10 this year, and compete in every game we played in (except the Edmonton game, we definitely did not compete in that 23 to 3 loss we got steamrolled) everyone here would have been ecstatic. 

This is a process, and we are definitely on the right track, with the right coach, and the right QB. Don't worry, be happy

I don't know, it's only in the last 20 years that we have gotten used to losing. Weick and Lawless look to be around my age, I've followed the Bombers for a good 40 years now and back in the day, a loss on home field was the end of the world. Home losses for this team were rare, even when we didn't have championship teams. The franchise really has sunk to new lows and until it returns to it's past glory years, I don't think the press should let up on them. 20 years is long enough.

But do you expect them to from, and I won't even call it worst cause they were beyond 'worst' last year - to Grey Cup contenders overnight? I expected a 6 - 12 season, and if we had some breaks maybe 7 - 11. Now it looks like 8 - 10 will be a solid bet (I'm sure we can win two more games). If, at the end of last season, I'd say we'd be 8 - 10 this year, and compete in every game we played in (except the Edmonton game, we definitely did not compete in that 23 to 3 loss we got steamrolled) everyone here would have been ecstatic. 

This is a process, and we are definitely on the right track, with the right coach, and the right QB. Don't worry, be happy

Completely agree...I wish I knew where it was but I made a post somewhere before the season saying I don't expect this team to win the Grey Cup this year but 8 or 9 wins, being competitive in every game, and fighting for a playoff spot while actually playing a meaningful 18th game would be a huge step forward.... so far that's exactly what we've gotten...

Yeah like I was saying, 8-10 is a huge step for me, regardless of how we get there.

I think what some people falsely assume is that when a team gets wins early but then sees the losses catch up and see the struggles come at a certain time in the season, they assume the team was either a pretender, or that the coach is all the sudden doing things wrong.  I don't think that's the case with us at all.  We're getting into the thick part of our schedule and the wins at this point aren't going to come as easily.  I think we're short of personnel players in some key positions such as special teams protection and coverage units, and obviously we need our long snapper back.  While I don't say the run defense is to blame for this last loss, it still is a concern for me and will need to improve, but even there I think we're headed in the right track.

I think you have to look at how the players are playing for O'Shea, and while some of them like Kuale should probably be released at some point, I think the majority of them really are out there hustling or at least doing their best to do so and playing with a drive to win for once.  They've bought into what O'Shea has brought here, and I do think the cultural change that we'd been looking for over the last few years has finally come.  We won't get the Grey Cup this year, but if Walters and co keep building on the identity O'Shea's brought here, I'm more than certain the drought will end.

I know there's been speculation that the Bomber administration people listen to what the WPG says in regards to these situations, but I think in this case Wade Miller is smart enough to know that these clowns don't know what they're talking about in regards to evaluating O'Shea or Walters.  If I'm him and Walters, I just shut the radio and newspapers off and just keep doing what I did to get the team this far and keep it at that.

It's not bad press, it's obtuse press.  I don't understand why the reporters feel the need to analyze a sport they don't even have the first clue about now, but it sure is getting bad with 1290 having them on day after day when they have nothing to talk about.  Not negative bad just plain old bad.  Wiecek in particular just continually makes himself sound like an idiot.  At least a guy like Tait will tell you what he sees and connect it back to what he's seen in the past.  Guys like Wiecek and Lawless ramble on like they'd coached in the CFL.  O'Shea embarrassed Lawless pretty badly on 1290 this week, since Lawless came at O'Shea like an attack dog with completely incorrect assumptions, Lawless was basically apologizing and saying that when he asks O'Shea a question he's looking for an answer, not trying to give him a backhanded slam.  I can listen to 1290 one day a week on the Bombers, then they have nothing to add.  I've been switching it off whenever they talk about the Jets since the draft, just nothing more to say, all soap opera crap.

OMG did you hear what Blake Wheeler said about Evander Kane??!?! And Evander's HILARIOUS three word reply that could mean almost anything?! I wonder if they're not besties anymore? Tune into the Big Show to find some solid opinions on this based on nothing at all!

It's not bad press, it's obtuse press.  I don't understand why the reporters feel the need to analyze a sport they don't even have the first clue about now, but it sure is getting bad with 1290 having them on day after day when they have nothing to talk about.  Not negative bad just plain old bad.  Wiecek in particular just continually makes himself sound like an idiot.  At least a guy like Tait will tell you what he sees and connect it back to what he's seen in the past.  Guys like Wiecek and Lawless ramble on like they'd coached in the CFL.  O'Shea embarrassed Lawless pretty badly on 1290 this week, since Lawless came at O'Shea like an attack dog with completely incorrect assumptions, Lawless was basically apologizing and saying that when he asks O'Shea a question he's looking for an answer, not trying to give him a backhanded slam.  I can listen to 1290 one day a week on the Bombers, then they have nothing to add.  I've been switching it off whenever they talk about the Jets since the draft, just nothing more to say, all soap opera crap.

OMG did you hear what Blake Wheeler said about Evander Kane??!?! And Evander's HILARIOUS three word reply that could mean almost anything?! I wonder if they're not besties anymore? Tune into the Big Show to find some solid opinions on this based on nothing at all!

Two days.  Two days they've been going on about this non-story.  Today the story is about how it might be a non-story, but we need to dissect the non-storyness of it.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...inally found the button to change the station.

At some point sports reporting turned into sports gossip reporting. There's too many news outlets trying to report on too little news.

Try going to the slam sports homepage and finding actual game results or sports stories. It's all who-said-what and who's-going-bankrupt and trolling about contentious stuff. It's all total ****, but I guess that's what gets the page views.

The Winnipeg Media appears to be a bunch of vultures.  Not overly conducive to a good relationship between the team and the media.

There's a couple media guys that are... and unfortunately they are the ones that get talked about more.  We have a couple good ones too though.