Ameet Pall

Mr. Perfect

Ameet Pall went into his first training camp injured and was released with the intention that he'd stay in Calgary to have surgery and rehab there to join the club later. He decided that he'd rather collect a paycheque on Montreal's IR than sit in Calgary so he left town. Honestly you can't blame a guy for that.

10 games - 3 special teams tackles in the CFL.

The reason why he was able to hang around this long:

2011 pre season Southern Conference Defensive Player of the Year

2011 pre season All American

2010 All American (from 4 publications)

2010 Southern Conference sack leader with 12.5 (plus 22.5 Tackles for Loss)

2010 Southern Conference Defensive Player of the Year

Played as a true freshman and started as a sophomore.  

Yeah, actually I can blame Pall, Rids. He was under contract to the Stamps when he left. He was injured but he still quit on the team that drafted him & were paying for his rehab in the hopes of getting him back in the lineup. The only thing I can say is the Stamps were so impressed with Pall they let him go. So, 10 CFL games playing special teams in 3 seasons with just 3 tackles. Buuuuuust. So, just why would we want this guy???

Yeah, actually I can blame Pall, Rids. He was under contract to the Stamps when he left. He was injured but he still quit on the team that drafted him & were paying for his rehab in the hopes of getting him back in the lineup.

How could he leave if he was still under contract?

Weren't the Stamps required to pay for his rehab?

Ameet Pall went into his first training camp injured and was released with the intention that he'd stay in Calgary to have surgery and rehab there to join the club later. He decided that he'd rather collect a paycheque on Montreal's IR than sit in Calgary so he left town. Honestly you can't blame a guy for that.

Yeah, actually I can blame Pall, Rids. He was under contract to the Stamps when he left. He was injured but he still quit on the team that drafted him & were paying for his rehab in the hopes of getting him back in the lineup. The only thing I can say is the Stamps were so impressed with Pall they let him go. So, 10 CFL games playing special teams in 3 seasons with just 3 tackles. Buuuuuust. So, just why would we want this guy???

If he was released then he would, in fact , not be under contract... maybe he broke a verbal agreement he had with Calgary but he was certainly within his rights to leave...

iso he didn't quit on them. They released him, made him a free agent so he signed elsewhere. 

If your boss fired you and then told you if you brought your medical bills in that they would reimburse you for them would you stay? Or would you look for a company that will pay you while you rehab? It's the difference between $0 and $50,000.

I'd accept the $50,000 10 times out of 10. 

Yeah, actually I can blame Pall, Rids. He was under contract to the Stamps when he left. He was injured but he still quit on the team that drafted him & were paying for his rehab in the hopes of getting him back in the lineup.

How could he leave if he was still under contract?

Weren't the Stamps required to pay for his rehab?

No because he was a rookie and the aggravation of the injury happened in training camp before he made the team they were not on the hook for a cent. 

Too be clear I'm not suggesting that Winnipeg should bring in Ameet Pall as I don't think he fits their system. I'm simply defending the guy or at least giving reasons for why he's in the League. 

Just curious.. what DL does fit our system... Pall at 5'11 260lbs doesn't... Laurent 6'1 305lbs doesnt

Its a genuine question - the only DL that I have seen in pursuit as a 'hybrid DL/LB' per se is Peach... everyone else looks like they are playing traditional DL roles

By the sounds of it, Zach Anderson doesn't even fit our system...?

Too be clear I'm not suggesting that Winnipeg should bring in Ameet Pall as I don't think he fits their system. I'm simply defending the guy or at least giving reasons for why he's in the League. 

Just curious.. what DL does fit our system... Pall at 5'11 260lbs doesn't... Laurent 6'1 305lbs doesnt

Its a genuine question - the only DL that I have seen in pursuit as a 'hybrid DL/LB' per se is Peach... everyone else looks like they are playing traditional DL roles

Why are you assuming that fit is based on the size of the player.

It's based on the responsibilities and whether or not a player can excel with specific responsibilities.

It's based on the responsibilities and whether or not a player can excel with specific responsibilities.

I understand that... especially since Pall's height seems to vary from 5'10 to 6'1...

Laurent and Pall are very different players - I see similarities between Anderson-Laurent and Pall-Peach... just curious.

I think most defensive co-ordinators in the CFL would adjust things to fit Ted Laurent. 

Etch had Chunky Adams in the middle with Saskatchewan once upon a time. 

Ameet Pall though isn't looking like an every down DL. Instead he's projecting as a bull rush situational DL which makes finding a fit tougher. The expanded rosters help though. 

Just In case I'm misunderstanding here, when & where has Pall excelled as a player? As far as Rids comments go, those are first I've read. It was always that he left the Stamps on his own accord. No one ever said that the Stamps wanted him to pay his rehab bills first then submit them for reimbursement. That was never mentioned once in the media here by anyone covering. the team. Do I like Pall as a player? No, he's another Canadian who hung around too long & got paid for contributing virtually nothing for 3 seasons because he's a National.

I think most defensive co-ordinators in the CFL would adjust things to fit Ted Laurent. 

Ameet Pall though isn't looking like an every down DL. Instead he's projecting as a bull rush situational DL which makes finding a fit tougher. The expanded rosters help though. 

Rids, how can you say a 3 year veteran is "projected"? The guy has done virtually nothing as a player to this point that he was released. 

Do you even know who Ameet Pall is mbrg? Ever actually see him practice let alone play? I'd be curious if you ever heard of him before this thread started. Please enlighten me & tell me exactly why the Bombers should bring him in. What are his weak & strong points? How would you evaluate where he might fit in? 

Holy crap, you seriously have a hard on for hating this guy... All because he left your beloved stamps?

No, I could care less about Pall. I just don't get the love for a guy who's done nothing for 2 teams in 3 years & has a grand total of THREE tackles in 10 games over a 3 season span. Why even bring in a guy like that? Bring in someone else. And, I don't belove the Stamps. Never have. Never will. I like them because I've lived in Calgary for 24 years but that's it. I love the Bombers. Otherwise why would I be here posting as much as I do?? So think before you say something stupid, SPuDS. I just asked anyone who comments that I kick my dog (which I find offensive by the way as I would never hurt any animal in a million years) to step up & say why he should be brought in. What's next ha ha go beat your wife? 

Rids, how can you say a 3 year veteran is "projected"? The guy has done virtually nothing as a player to this point that he was released. 

scouting guys always focus on what a player could become, it's part and parcel with the job. That's what makes drafting a crap shoot. Sometimes guys just don't live up to the potential.

scouting guys always focus on what a player could become, it's part and parcel with the job. That's what makes drafting a crap shoot. Sometimes guys just don't live up to the potential.

It is certainly a crapshoot. 

Just In case I'm misunderstanding here, when & where has Pall excelled as a player? As far as Rids comments go, those are first I've read. It was always that he left the Stamps on his own accord. No one ever said that the Stamps wanted him to pay his rehab bills first then submit them for reimbursement. That was never mentioned once in the media here by anyone covering. the team. Do I like Pall as a player? No, he's another Canadian who hung around too long & got paid for contributing virtually nothing for 3 seasons because he's a National.

iso do you trust my information? I try to separate my internet posts between pure data, facts and opinion and try to post in a manner that shows which is which. 

My opinion is that Ameet Pall isn't a fit for the Winnipeg D. 

Facts are that Pall excelled over a four year career at Wofford and that he was released by Calgary during training camp. They expected him to hang around the team but didn't want to use an IR spot on him so he left. Not an arrangement that any player would likely agree to. 

My opinion is that Calgary was glad he signed in Montreal and that they picked him his tab. Although they likely weren't thrilled with the fact they used a first round pick on him. 

I consider him to be a projected player because he is far from a veteran. The only form of being a veteran is that he has attended multiple training camps. Stats wise he hasn't put up big numbers but hasn't had opportunity to do so either. Most of that is due to not performing to an adequate level in practice to earn a spot in the rotation. That's on him. 

iso do you trust my information? I try to separate my internet posts between pure data, facts and opinion and try to post in a manner that shows which is which. 

Facts are that Pall excelled over a four year career at Wofford and that he was released by Calgary during training camp. They expected him to hang around the team but didn't want to use an IR spot on him so he left. Not an arrangement that any player would likely agree to. 

My opinion is that Calgary was glad he signed in Montreal and that they picked him his tab. Although they likely weren't thrilled with the fact they used a first round pick on him. 

I consider him to be a projected player because he is far from a veteran. The only form of being a veteran is that he has attended multiple training camps. Stats wise he hasn't put up big numbers but hasn't had opportunity to do so either. Most of that is due to not performing to an adequate level in practice to earn a spot in the rotation. That's on him. 

Your last 2 sentences sum up everything I have been saying. So again, based on just that alone why would we bring him in & why are people who don't know him from anybody keep defending him? I know what I saw at Stamps training camp in 2012. He was the exact same way with the Stamps. 

The Ameet Pall situation in Calgary:

Hufnagel knew this could happen once he released Pall outright, but with five players on the one-game injured list and now a full practice roster, he had nowhere else to stash the defensive end.

"I thought we had an arrangement that was agreed to by all parties," Hufnagel said. "When it comes right down to it, he was free to do what he wanted. Our indications was he was going to allow the process to happen here.

"When I brought Ameet in, I told him what his situation was. He was here to rehab, get this MRI, see what's going on with it and make a decision. I did not give up on him and he thanked me for that. If I didn't have as many injuries and had room somewhere, that would have helped the issue.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Calgary/2012/06/25/19919576.html

As the Calgary Herald's Allen Cameron writes, too, the team has plenty of Canadian depth on the defensive line and has a number of players injured, so putting Pall on the one-game injured list could have led to salary-cap issues. Pall also reportedly had issues adjusting to playing special teams, something he didn't do in college at Wofford, so if all of Hufnagel's comments about his lack of readiness are accurate (and not just attempts to minimize Pall's loss in retrospect), perhaps releasing him, offering to pay his rehab costs and risking another team claiming him the way Montreal did was the best move the Stamps could make. That would still mean that they made an atrocious draft-day decision, though.

Pall was taken fifth overall, which is incredibly high for a guy who your team winds up considering not worthy of a roster or IR spot.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/ameet-pall-departure-montreal-suggests-stamps-screwed-one-021204641.html

“I thought we had a plan that was agreed on by all parties but when it comes down to it, he was free to do whatever he wanted to do,” said Hufnagel. “The indications were that he was going to allow the process to happen here. My other alternative was to cut the young man and send him home but if a player is injured, even if he is a rookie and we don’t have any financial obligations (to do so), I do try to at least get him healthy on our tab and then see where his future may end up with the Stampeders or another team. It’s what I think I owe those individuals.”

http://www.stampeders.com/article/team-comments-on-pall-situation

Do you even know who Ameet Pall is mbrg?

Yes.

Ever actually see him practice let alone play?

No.  Why would I travel to practises in Calgary or Montreal?

I'd be curious if you ever heard of him before this thread started.

Yes.

Please enlighten me & tell me exactly why the Bombers should bring him in.

Don't care if they do.  He means nothing to me.  However for all intents and purposes we are starting a NI on our Dline on around 70% of snaps by my estimation, probably more, and while Louis Richardson and Mike Cornell have exceeded my expectations of them I do not think they are so stellar that their roles on this team should go uncontested between now and the end of the season.

Nor do I think they have demonstrated the superpower of invulnerability, so to assume that neither could get injured between now and the end of the season is more optimistic than I have imagined you to be.

It is a roster hole.  I don't really care who fills it.  It is not unreasonable to assume that a top draft pick can fill it better than an undrafted player, but CIS scouting and CFL drafting are far from NFL standards, so all kinds of talent falls thru the cracks.  But if that talent was easy to identify it would not have fallen thru the cracks in the first place, so assuming that we'll find it the second time around is a bit of a stretch.

What are his weak & strong points? How would you evaluate where he might fit in? 

Defensive line and some special teams play.  I'm supposed to scout CIS teams before noting that your responses have become somewhat irrational?

You ask Rids how he's supposed to project on a player who hasn't played in 3 years?  That's exactly what you do with a player who hasn't played in 3 years.  Project.  If he had played, you wouldn't have to project.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog.  No dog Not all dogs deserve that.

Your last 2 sentences sum up everything I have been saying. So again, based on just that alone why would we bring him in & why are people who don't know him from anybody keep defending him? I know what I saw at Stamps training camp in 2012. He was the exact same way with the Stamps. 

I don't think anybody is saying that he's a must sign player. He's a player of interest because he's a former first round draft pick and holds the right passport.

If anybody is defending him it could be because you're so negative on him. Ease back on the throttle iso!!! He's not a Bomber and likely never will be.