GDT: Winnipeg @ Toronto

You mean we lost the turnover battle 6-0 and still almost won?

I'm amazed at how SOME people have gone from happy to doom and gloom and smashing the panic button in the blink of an eye.

You must be new here...

I'm afraid that clown Gary Lawless has too many followers on here.  Him, and a bunch of other nuts called the local Winnipeg media try and pull the emergency cords whenever any sign of setbacks comes out.  I haven't visited the WFP site or listened to CJOB today, but wouldn't be surprised if someone said something dumb or reactionary to that.  I had said earlier this year, the team just as it started on winning streaks will have its losing streaks too, we as fans need to realize and accept that.  I'd love to see big wins like opening night and the big road win in BC Place every week, but we gotta be realistic about that and realize that just isn't going to happen every week.  Especially with a team as young as ours.  The way I see it, these players have a lot of learning to do, and from watching last night's game and going over other film, I more than believe they will learn lots from it.  At this point, no need to do anything extreme.  The O-line will need to improve, but get them healthy, maybe make an addition or 2 over the offseason this year, and I think we got an O-line of Grey Cup caliber heading into 2015.

As much as I want to be 12-6, I'll take 8-10 as it is a gargantuan improvement over 2013. It'll also mean we can attract some prized free agents or coaches in the off season than last year. 

Yes, plus that's usually good enough to get you to the playoffs most years.  There certainly will be a crossover to the East as neither Montreal or Ottawa are going to get more than 5 wins I'd be willing to bet.  Kinda early I guess, but with one being an expansion team with a QB who may be in his last year and about ready to hang it up plus a bad defense, and another that's turned into an administration gong show, I see both of them being eliminated.  Now, there's a lot of West vs West contests that gotta take place, and my guess is when it's all said and done, we'll be jocking with either Sask or BC for the final playoff spot, but I got a feeling at least one of them is going to get swept by Edmonton or lose the remaining games to Calgary, plus even if we don't win the next game vs BC, I think we can beat them when we get them at home as they don't do well on the road in the cold late in the year.  Finish 4th in the west and that should be playoff crossover recipe, and I think we can do that.

I'm amazed at how SOME people have gone from happy to doom and gloom and smashing the panic button in the blink of an eye.

You must be new here...

I'm afraid that clown Gary Lawless has too many followers on here.  Him, and a bunch of other nuts called the local Winnipeg media try and pull the emergency cords whenever any sign of setbacks comes out.  I haven't visited the WFP site or listened to CJOB today, but wouldn't be surprised if someone said something dumb or reactionary to that.  I had said earlier this year, the team just as it started on winning streaks will have its losing streaks too, we as fans need to realize and accept that.  I'd love to see big wins like opening night and the big road win in BC Place every week, but we gotta be realistic about that and realize that just isn't going to happen every week.  Especially with a team as young as ours.  The way I see it, these players have a lot of learning to do, and from watching last night's game and going over other film, I more than believe they will learn lots from it.  At this point, no need to do anything extreme.  The O-line will need to improve, but get them healthy, maybe make an addition or 2 over the offseason this year, and I think we got an O-line of Grey Cup caliber heading into 2015.

I -believe- Noeller is referring to the fact that road griller is a troll (and an obvious one).

You must be new here...

I -believe- Noeller is referring to the fact that road griller is a troll (and an obvious one).

No he's pointing out that Bomber fans are as bi-polar as anyone. 5-1 everything is great, lose 2 in a row FIRE EVERYONE!!!11!!

There was an interesting comment made by the TSN's CFL reporter this afternoon on 1290 radio. He said he was sitting behind the Argo bench during the game and apparently Dwight Anderson came to the bench at the end of the third quarter and shouted to the Argo defence that "these guys (Bombers) have stopped trying to win, so let's go get them" or words to that effect. Obviously, the Argos saw that the Bombers had quit and took it to them in the fourth quarter, which is when the wheels fell off.

He also said that the book on the Bombers is that they can't stop the run due to undersized D-linemen and linebackers, and the Bombers can't run and give up trying to run as soon as they get stopped, relying on the pass with the opposing team's linebackers dropping off into coverage and making life a lot easier for the DB's.

He did have good things to say about Willy and even Grigsby.

There's zero chance we make the playoffs with eight wins. You guys seriously think any of Calgary, Sask, BC or even Edmonton is going to be worse than 9-9?

Since 1995 there has not been a team that has won 8 games that hasn't made the play-offs.

There's zero chance we make the playoffs with eight wins. You guys seriously think any of Calgary, Sask, BC or even Edmonton is going to be worse than 9-9?

Since 1995 there has not been a team that has won 8 games that hasn't made the play-offs.

The majority of those years have been with an eight team league. Edmonton and Calgary already have five wins while BC and Sask have four. Unless Edmonton completely falls apart and wins less than 3 games which at this point is highly unlikely, I don't see any of those teams finishing below .500. 

Blueandgold, on 13 Aug 2014 - 9:15 PM, said:

Jacquie, on 13 Aug 2014 - 9:09 PM, said:

Blueandgold, on 13 Aug 2014 - 7:02 PM, said:

The majority of those years have been with an eight team league. Edmonton and Calgary already have five wins while BC and Sask have four. Unless Edmonton completely falls apart and wins less than 3 games which at this point is highly unlikely, I don't see any of those teams finishing below .500. 

I'm going to make a bet BC does not win 9 games this year.  Sure they could win 8, but if we win 2 of 3 against them, which since we already took 1, I think we will, we beat them into the playoffs.

17to85, on 13 Aug 2014 - 8:21 PM, said:

No he's pointing out that Bomber fans are as bi-polar as anyone. 5-1 everything is great, lose 2 in a row FIRE EVERYONE!!!11!!

Yup, exactly this.

I mentioned the media because knee-jerk reactions like that seem to come from them when things start going wrong.  I tend to think some of them just don't understand how the CFL works, and I know a few of them are pretty clueless as to what goes on.

Fortunately, I tend to think not as many people here buy into all their crap as some have done in other markets, but still you hate seeing things blown out of proportion by them when things, at least for a good bit of my vantage point, seem to overall be moving in the right direction.

Personally I think we are better than what the two losses have shown, and so I still feel good about this season.  They're showing good signs.  There are some ugly spots for sure, but most teams have that too.  The West is tough and anyone thinking it wasn't going to be a helluva challenge to make the playoffs was insane to begin with.  

Give it time guys.  Positives and negatives to each game.

There was an interesting comment made by the TSN's CFL reporter this afternoon on 1290 radio. He said he was sitting behind the Argo bench during the game and apparently Dwight Anderson came to the bench at the end of the third quarter and shouted to the Argo defence that "these guys (Bombers) have stopped trying to win, so let's go get them" or words to that effect. Obviously, the Argos saw that the Bombers had quit and took it to them in the fourth quarter, which is when the wheels fell off.

I don't know what the reporter heard or what was repeated or "word to that effect" but I'll never believe a team "stops trying to win".

They may be 'defeated' or dog tired from playing on a few days rest and in tropical Rogers Stadium.

The words - "the Bombers had quit" does not fit into what I see from this Bomber squad.

I can definitely see there was a letdown after a few things went wrong, but I do see that in all sports when two teams are battling until a turning point and one team takes over.

The Bombers were beaten by a lack of blocking, running and fresh legs on defence, but they weren't beaten by a lack of effort.

I don't know what the reporter heard or what was repeated or "word to that effect" but I'll never believe a team "stops trying to win".

Mr Dee, we all saw it last year under Tim Burke.

Almost won, we almost lost 2 other games. This team is on life support, shades of 2011 a bunch of early wins only to realize the team is not very good. Although I think the 2011 version was better.

The effort is just not there, that is the most alarming.

You realize it's not 2013 right?

Smh.

Almost won, we almost lost 2 other games. This team is on life support, shades of 2011 a bunch of early wins only to realize the team is not very good. Although I think the 2011 version was better.

Smh.

He's been in a state of depression since we cut Goltz.

Smh.

He's been in a state of depression since we cut Goltz.

lol. So much this.

I'm also sticking by my prediction that Toronto beats BC badly this Sunday.  The Leos suck on the road in out east, Ray has their D figured out, and there's no way a rustbucketty Lulay is going to do well coming into this situation, and if Glenn plays, he's gonna have a bad multi-interception game.  Book it.

I disagree with the notion that bomber fans are bi-polar, never mind the fact that bi-polar is actually a legit disease and isn't a good disease either, yup let's make fun of mental illness, awesome, but regardless of that... It's not bomber fans, it's band wagon "fans"  and Winnipeg has lots of those, when the team is doing well, you still have the naysayers around, when the team is sucking, there is just more of them, It is what it is, this isn't a Winnipeg exclusive thing, Sports fans in general, name the city and sport jump on and off the bandwagon so much it's insane, breaking ankles week to week jumping back on and off... It is what it is. Just so happens when we win, these forums seems less active, when we lose, man, everybody and their mothers comment on everything... 

I'm pretty convinced that we have a few bandwagon fans on this forum too and it's pretty apparent after losses who they are.. It's the same guy (s) every time, not calling anyone out, i'm sure we could all guess who they are rather easily but once again, it is what it is...

Our media are pretty bandwagon ish too, One week it's the bombers are the best, next week, the whole "bumbling" blue bombers thing is back again... The one thing i will keep saying this season until i'm blue in the face is how many of us actually predicted they would be 5-3 right now.. Hell  the worst we can be 1/2 way through the season is 5-4.. Good chance we are actually 6-3 even.. Who honestly thought that? I consider this season year 1 of a re-build of sorts, we have some pieces, we need some more... and unfortunately, one of those pieces we need is an OLINE, we have a couple good ones (i'll call them the Canadians), we have some bad ones too, need help, it's gonna take patience and drafting..

One more thing, anyone who is going on about the teams effort last night or any game so far this season (minus the edmonton game and even then i thought they competed, they just really couldn't catch a ball or a break really that game) is obviously just a troll of some kind... The effort is there, that's the one thing i've definitely noticed, this team tries and it tries hard and really it never gives up, did they give up last night? I don't think so, i just think the short week caught up to them a bit later in the game, 4th quarter in particular, there is no lack of effort, this team definitely has heart and definitely shows effort week in week out, anyone who disagrees, you should watch the montreal and hamilton games again and tell me this team doesn't bring it until the end... 

I think what is annoying is all the bs that people claim after losses, the lack of effort stuff, it's all just BS really... the "should have signed that guy" stuff, the "should cut this guy" stuff... It's just crazy... Sometimes i wonder if some people have had a few too many adult beverages while watching some games cuz quite honestly, Reading a few comments, I really am not sure what games some people have been watching.. 5-3.. Who would have thought it.... Not a damn person. They lose a couple in a row and the sky is falling? BS. 

Guess the one thing everyone needs to remember is fan is short for "fanatic". The "fanatics" all come out, especially after a loss.  

I disagree with the notion that bomber fans are bi-polar, never mind the fact that bi-polar is actually a legit disease and isn't a good disease either, yup let's make fun of mental illness, awesome, but regardless of that... It's not bomber fans, it's band wagon "fans"  and Winnipeg has lots of those, when the team is doing well, you still have the naysayers around, when the team is sucking, there is just more of them, It is what it is, this isn't a Winnipeg exclusive thing, Sports fans in general, name the city and sport jump on and off the bandwagon so much it's insane, breaking ankles week to week jumping back on and off... It is what it is. Just so happens when we win, these forums seems less active, when we lose, man, everybody and their mothers comment on everything... 

I'm pretty convinced that we have a few bandwagon fans on this forum too and it's pretty apparent after losses who they are.. It's the same guy (s) every time, not calling anyone out, i'm sure we could all guess who they are rather easily but once again, it is what it is...

Our media are pretty bandwagon ish too, One week it's the bombers are the best, next week, the whole "bumbling" blue bombers thing is back again... The one thing i will keep saying this season until i'm blue in the face is how many of us actually predicted they would be 5-3 right now.. Hell  the worst we can be 1/2 way through the season is 5-4.. Good chance we are actually 6-3 even.. Who honestly thought that? I consider this season year 1 of a re-build of sorts, we have some pieces, we need some more... and unfortunately, one of those pieces we need is an OLINE, we have a couple good ones (i'll call them the Canadians), we have some bad ones too, need help, it's gonna take patience and drafting..

One more thing, anyone who is going on about the teams effort last night or any game so far this season (minus the edmonton game and even then i thought they competed, they just really couldn't catch a ball or a break really that game) is obviously just a troll of some kind... The effort is there, that's the one thing i've definitely noticed, this team tries and it tries hard and really it never gives up, did they give up last night? I don't think so, i just think the short week caught up to them a bit later in the game, 4th quarter in particular, there is no lack of effort, this team definitely has heart and definitely shows effort week in week out, anyone who disagrees, you should watch the montreal and hamilton games again and tell me this team doesn't bring it until the end... 

I think what is annoying is all the bs that people claim after losses, the lack of effort stuff, it's all just BS really... the "should have signed that guy" stuff, the "should cut this guy" stuff... It's just crazy... Sometimes i wonder if some people have had a few too many adult beverages while watching some games cuz quite honestly, Reading a few comments, I really am not sure what games some people have been watching.. 5-3.. Who would have thought it.... Not a damn person. They lose a couple in a row and the sky is falling? BS. 

Guess the one thing everyone needs to remember is fan is short for "fanatic". The "fanatics" all come out, especially after a loss.  

One guy is a troll here... He says BS stuff to get a rise out of members here to draw attention to himself.  I won't say who as I think we all know. 

I'm also sticking by my prediction that Toronto beats BC badly this Sunday. The Leos suck on the road in out east, Ray has their D figured out, and there's no way a rustbucketty Lulay is going to do well coming into this situation, and if Glenn plays, he's gonna have a bad multi-interception game. Book it.

Interesting that Argos play at home both of their games during their short week, where we just played on the road for ours. The travel is exhausting on the players and it eliminates one practice day too. Teams on these short weeks should play both games at home IMO.

Mr Dee, we all saw it last year under Tim Burke.

What we saw last year was a kind of hopelessness and malaise stemming from the knowledge that you're being led into a battle that you cannot win.

Good coaches (leaders) don't let that happen.

They can still invoke that will to win, and every athlete that plays sports has it, or should.

Last year was something I never want to see again, but I still believe winners never stop trying to win.

He also said that the book on the Bombers is that they can't stop the run due to undersized D-linemen and linebackers, and the Bombers can't run and give up trying to run as soon as they get stopped, relying on the pass with the opposing team's linebackers dropping off into coverage and making life a lot easier for the DB's.

He did have good things to say about Willy and even Grigsby.

I would chalk up these comments as rhetoric to get the Tor D fired up.... nothing else... IMO our guys were still giving their all... they were just gassed...