GDT: Winnipeg @ Toronto

Worst officiating I've EVER seen. And the Bombers sucked too. How disappointing.

In the early going, the refs killed us and the Bombers capitalized. The refs made a call or two in our favour later on. You couldn't on the whole think that it went mostly against the Bombers though, could you? Shocking.

The thing that pissed me off early was how blatant the Argos holding was. Seemed like there was really bad and obvious holding on every play. I know the CFL lets a lot of holding go but it was ridiculous. Especially with a lot of the ticky tack calls that were going on all over the field. I thought the refs were just terrible until that over turned PI challenged, then I started to change my mind, gotta help the poor useless eastern teams out any way we can. 

I personaly think the Argos are just getting better. They did have over a week to get ready for us, and we literally had zero time to make any changes from our last game so they knew exactly what we were going to be doing on defense... When a guy like Ray knows what your doing on defense, especially with such speed at receiver, they are going to hurt you IMO

Worst officiating I've EVER seen. And the Bombers sucked too. How disappointing.

In the early going, the refs killed us and the Bombers capitalized. The refs made a call or two in our favour later on. You couldn't on the whole think that it went mostly against the Bombers though, could you? Shocking.

The thing that pissed me off early was how blatant the Argos holding was. Seemed like there was really bad and obvious holding on every play. I know the CFL lets a lot of holding go but it was ridiculous. Especially with a lot of the ticky tack calls that were going on all over the field. I thought the refs were just terrible until that over turned PI challenged, then I started to change my mind, gotta help the poor useless eastern teams out any way we can. 

I personaly think the Argos are just getting better. They did have over a week to get ready for us, and we literally had zero time to make any changes from our last game so they knew exactly what we were going to be doing on defense... When a guy like Ray knows what your doing on defense, especially with such speed at receiver, they are going to hurt you IMO

Preparation is such a huge part of the game that one can never underestimate the effect of one team having a lot of prep time while the other has very little.

Certainly the preparation time for the Argos and the relative lack of it for the Bombers played a big factor. Willy was under pressure all night and that makes two weeks in a row for that...

One game does not a trend make, but it can be an indicator: the Burke defence was getting to the QB and the defenders were flying to the ball. Long may that continue.

Main 2 reciever go-to-guys were out: No Owens. No Durie. Main two TD-threat-guys were out: No Chiles. No Barnes. No problem... Ricky spreads the ball to ten other guys. Thank Flutie that Tillman accepted our bag of magic beans for that guy...

Certainly the preparation time for the Argos and the relative lack of it for the Bombers played a big factor. Willy was under pressure all night and that makes two weeks in a row for that...

One game does not a trend make, but it can be an indicator: the Burke defence was getting to the QB and the defenders were flying to the ball. Long may that continue.

Main 2 reciever go-to-guys were out: No Owens. No Durie. Main two TD-threat-guys were out: No Chiles. No Barnes. No problem... Ricky spreads the ball to ten other guys. Thank Flutie that Tillman accepted our bag of magic beans for that guy...

The big issue was that the Bombers failed to generate any pressure on Ray. I don't care who he has to throw the ball to if you give that guy time he'll find someone. That's where the blatant holding was infuriating. When they did get a push it was just OK for the Argos OL to hold them up. Really wish Etchevary had sent some more blitzes. If you give Ray time he'll shred you no matter how many guys you drop back, might as well make him take a beating to get passes away. 

The big issue was that the Bombers failed to generate any pressure on Ray. I don't care who he has to throw the ball to if you give that guy time he'll find someone. That's where the blatant holding was infuriating. When they did get a push it was just OK for the Argos OL to hold them up. Really wish Etchevary had sent some more blitzes. If you give Ray time he'll shred you no matter how many guys you drop back, might as well make him take a beating to get passes away. 

Ray wasn't burning the Bomber defence with long passes.  Ray was getting rid of the ball quickly and his timing was spot on.  Couple that with an effective run game and it made for a long night for Etch's defence.

Yup. Only holding on one side. Because I never saw blatant holding by overmatched Bomber linemen or on kick return.

Have a word with yourself, Dave.

Holding can be called virtually every play.  Only the really blatant stuff gets called (thank God) or the game would have absolutely no flow.

Ray wasn't burning the Bomber defence with long passes.  Ray was getting rid of the ball quickly and his timing was spot on.  Couple that with an effective run game and it made for a long night for Etch's defence.

yeah and those short routes were open, why not tighten things up, send pressure and make him pay to get the ball out? That's what Teams are doing to Willy. Just sending pressure and making him pay for every ball he completes. We gave Ray time and didn't make him take a hard lick all night I don't think. That'll never beat Ricky Ray. 

Yup. Only holding on one side. Because I never saw blatant holding by overmatched Bomber linemen or on kick return.

Have a word with yourself, Dave.

You think the Bombers OL can actually get their hands on anyone? Come on now. Besides that they seemed to enjoy throwing a hands to the face flag on the bombers OL all night....

Hell they took a Bomber first down off the board when Fitzgerald got flagged for holding, did they call any holding penalties on the Argos? They were doing stuff just as bad and worse...

May not win another game this season. Book is out. Run on O. Blitz on D and you'll beat the Bombers every game. Going the wrong direction now.

Come on man, that's just stupid talk.  I mean hey, I don't think this team is Grey Cup ready or ready to win the west yet, but no wins out of the 10 games we got left?  I mean, we got the Montreal circus show coming to town next week, and we play Ottawa again as well, those smell like pretty good wins to me.  We got Hamilton again, and yeah I know they're not as bad as the 1-5 record they sit holding, but it's not like they're a juggernaut right now either.

If we finish the season with only 8 wins, fine, means this team's youth and inexperience caught up to them, but that's a hell of a lot better than we've seen mostly around here lately.  But this is not the 2013 Bombers, and I got more than enough reason to think O'Shea will pull more wins out before this season is over.

An exaggeration perhaps.  But I wouldnt be surprised if we finish below .500 on the season, watching the way the team is playing PLUS seeing how other teams have figured us out.  They are running at will and blitzing at will.  The officiating didnt help.  But every team has to deal with the same officials.

May not win another game this season. Book is out. Run on O. Blitz on D and you'll beat the Bombers every game. Going the wrong direction now.

Come on man, that's just stupid talk.  I mean hey, I don't think this team is Grey Cup ready or ready to win the west yet, but no wins out of the 10 games we got left?  I mean, we got the Montreal circus show coming to town next week, and we play Ottawa again as well, those smell like pretty good wins to me.  We got Hamilton again, and yeah I know they're not as bad as the 1-5 record they sit holding, but it's not like they're a juggernaut right now either.

If we finish the season with only 8 wins, fine, means this team's youth and inexperience caught up to them, but that's a hell of a lot better than we've seen mostly around here lately.  But this is not the 2013 Bombers, and I got more than enough reason to think O'Shea will pull more wins out before this season is over.

An exaggeration perhaps.  But I wouldnt be surprised if we finish below .500 on the season, watching the way the team is playing PLUS seeing how other teams have figured us out.  They are running at will and blitzing at will.  The officiating didnt help.  But every team has to deal with the same officials.

you don't think they can find 4 more wins on the schedule? 

I think the short time between games and the fact that Toronto had the extra week off was a massive factor in why we simply looked tired and beaten up tonight. 

Montreal is going to kick us, their D will win it for them. The Bombers are rudderless right now, poor footballing from the top down.

Confusion Corner.

Give credit where credit is due, Ray and the Argos played well.

Yes, we have to give credit where credit is due.

Toronto was well prepared and totally ready for us. Not to be unexpected.

Our game wasn't as bad as some are saying and we were totally in it until the call back of Bryant's TD on a touch call on Howard.

After that …downhill.

Don't think we would have won that game as Toronto still had legs and we were done at the end of the third quarter.

Too much to ask for such a team as ours.

As to the lack of effort RG stated. Total bullfrog.

The effort and will was there, but even though the spirit was willing….the legs couldn't hold on.

Not going to read more into this loss than what is there ..

We lost to a team .. coming off a bye .. a team who had 11 days to prepare for another who played a game 4 days earlier .. then went on the road .. after a single day of practice .. and were competitive throughout the game until they finally just ran out of gas.

Not too concerned about the Bombers.

Using Refs for an excuse is worse than using injuries as one.

I blame the loss on the sched, which couldn't really be helped.

Bombers are still the better team but not really ready to be true contenders for the cup yet. Massive holes in Run Defense/Run Game/Offensive line/RB

Argos are the only good team in the east, Hamilton may still be able to become one at some point this year.

Using Refs for an excuse is worse than using injuries as one.

I blame the loss on the sched, which couldn't really be helped.

Bombers are still the better team but not really ready to be true contenders for the cup yet. Massive holes in Run Defense/Run Game/Offensive line/RB

Argos are the only good team in the east, Hamilton may still be able to become one at some point this year.

It's just hard to watch both crappy reffing and the team playing crappy. One or the other is much easier to handle, but both is really tough. 

As much as I want to be 12-6, I'll take 8-10 as it is a gargantuan improvement over 2013. It'll also mean we can attract some prized free agents or coaches in the off season than last year. 

Not going to read more into this loss than what is there ..

We lost to a team .. coming off a bye .. a team who had 11 days to prepare for another who played a game 4 days earlier .. then went on the road .. after a single day of practice .. and were competitive throughout the game until they finally just ran out of gas.

Not too concerned about the Bombers.

I wouldn't say there's zero concern.... but when you look at the way the cards were stacked against us this game it's easier to give a pass.... much needed 10 day break now

Of course there are a few dents in the armor .. but the approach I take is that nothing is ever as bad as it seems .. nothing is ever as good .. it's called perspective .. a lot of people lose it after a tough game.

Couldn't agree more... there's a few people around here who already have one foot off the edge of the cliff!

We are getting exactly what Etch and Bellefuile offer.

Every year, Etch starts off crazy, teams pick up on his tendencies, he starts going more traditional zone, sags a bit and then regroups with a new Crazy Etch plan

Every year, Bellefuile starts off with a great game plan that utilizes out passes, running outside, mid-range passes and a few long bombs.  Gradually, he retreats to a really quite conservative game plan and has a real tendency to abandon the run - which is okay if you have a scrambling QB like Porter... not as much with Glenn or Willy.

We knew what we were getting with Etch and MB - my concern right now is that I haven't seen any really capable adjustments by Bellefuile and Buck, I have a surprising amount of confidence in Etch though.

That was the first game of the year really where the D actually didn't play very good and even then, they were still in it until the 4th really.. IMO though the wheels fell off in the last minute or so of the first, the time count penalty and then shank by lirim and touchdown by the argos was when i started saying, well.. crap, 5-3 it is...

We got some holes, for sure, every team does... OL, Run game (go hand in hand i'm sure), lack of run D (that's an etch issue) but up until this past week really, didn't really hurt us, i know some people have gone on and on about Messam but bombers lost to sask because they turned the ball over 6 times, not cuz messam was able to run, 17 or 20 points off turnovers vs sask and we lost by 6... yeah we beat ourselves vs sask. Last night though, it was pretty obvious by the 4th quarter, late third, Our D was gassed... 

Like i said, Last night was what i'd consider the first really bad game the D has played all year, as a whole... prior to last night, they have been pretty damn solid actually, sure they give up yards but its the old bend but don't break d, up until last night, they bent but never broke, last night they broke. It is what it is. 5-3 is still better than everyone on this forum thought prior to the season, is the sky falling? I don't think so, do we have some issues? you bet. are those issues fixable? I think some are and some aren't right now.. the Oline issue is something that will take time to fix.